Chocking and stabilizing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Stop calling me Princess.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
MMarvin turned me on to these and they are the best chocks I have found. Easy to install / remove and very stable. to install, you just place them between the tandems and step on it. To remove, pull the release cord.

The X chocks scare me as they will fly out of the tires if you forget to remove them before taking off.

Fastway Onestep
https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-84-00.../dp/B00718VZ8A
Attached Thumbnails
Fastway Onestep.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 21' 2018
Hm, OK. Well I think I'm getting the starter kit, so I guess I'll wind up getting the plastic ones with it. I'll also get some of the nicer ones recommended, so I guess I should make sure the starter kit is still a good deal.

Do those Fastway Onesteps stabilize or just chock? Is it something to worry about that we'll forget the xchocks in place and injure someone or something? I was certain I'd get them until this possibility was brought up!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The list

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Hm, OK. Well I think I'm getting the starter kit, so I guess I'll wind up getting the plastic ones with it. I'll also get some of the nicer ones recommended, so I guess I should make sure the starter kit is still a good deal.

Do those Fastway Onesteps stabilize or just chock? Is it something to worry about that we'll forget the xchocks in place and injure someone or something? I was certain I'd get them until this possibility was brought up!
Your primary defense against bending stuff up or leaving stuff behind is a list detailing what needs done before you hit the road inside and outside of the camper. We have ours courtesy of our previous owner on both the 19 and the 21 ( AZ Jack). It consists of strips of label maker tape on the inner door frame. Works great. Form follows function. Inner jobs: Rita. Outer jobs Lackey: Iowa Dave. Outer jobs superintendent and inspector: Rita. Wheelman: Iowa Dave
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The real (wedge) chocks go down first when unhooking. The X-chocks go in last, if you even use them, and they come out first before you start to hitch up. You can't walk around the trailer too much especially as a newbie to survey the situation and think about what you are doing in what order.

You should not be doing much without walking around and looking, and you should never be leaving without walking around and looking up, down and middle. We even pull the trailer just out of the site and then walk back again and look all around.

If you just have the rule that you do not leave the site or the dump station without doing that, you will do much better.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #26

List

Use a list
It will remind you of what you missed
Burma Shave
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
A6C252A2-6FEE-41A3-92A0-A488AC1387B0.jpg   C10F4479-6DDA-4D76-BE3E-A05985B539FA.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, laminate your list and carry it around while you do your final check.
Attached Thumbnails
3M hooks and check list.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have four 4x6 cards on a ring. One is set up, the next is take down inside, the next is take down outside. These last two may combine with the Escape as there's more to do with the Aframe. The last one has a list of equipment, some of which stays in the garage until trips, and also a list of electric things if I'm going to have electric hookup. The cards hang on a command hook inside the door of the trailer.

I also have a tote bag inside the house for things that get brought in and washed and need to go back out. I think this'll also be easier with the Escape as I'll be able to get in and out easily. The Aframe has to be pulled out of the garage and set up.

edit: I see that Glen posted above and has a similar list.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #29

Great minds

Hey Glenn
I hate to waste money on replacing things I unnecessarily broke or lost. Cuts into my beer and gasoline budget. So I read the manual and use a list. Wish I would have done this all my life, oh well better late than never. Right?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #30

Another A lister

Hi Barbara
You got it going on. The new Escape will be a snap for you, owing to your “A liner” experience. Sometimes the campgrounds will help you out.
Attached Thumbnails
95767D4F-6F4E-4F49-AE72-CFD4D74D65D4.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Uh oh! I didn't see "wife" listed on the build sheet. Maybe I'll ask if that can be added.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #32

Those are some great looking lists! I love a good list to check off!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here is my list in text. You can just copy and paste into a Word document and then amend it as required for your situation. Will save you some key strokes.
My tire pressure is Max 65 psi. Yours is likely 50 psi.

Drive Away Checklist

SPARE KEYS

Inside Checks:

Loose Items Stored
Windows Closed
Blinds secure
Tank levels
Battery level
Thermostat OFF
Water Heater OFF
Water Pump OFF
Shower / Sink Drains CLOSED
Stove Cover DOWN
Screen Door FASTENED
Fridge Door Shelves LIGHT
Fan OFF
Roof Vents ( Bathroom / Fan ) CLOSED
TP and Paper Towels SECURED
Door LOCKED
Step STORED / SECURE

Outside Checks:

Tire Pressure 60-65 psi.
Note: Lower Pressure = Lower Load
Range Hood Vent LOCKED
Power DISCONNECT
Water DISCONNECT
Rock Shield DOWN AND LOCKED
Awning LOCKED
Stabilizer Jacks UP & TIGHT
Wheel Blocks STORED
Equalizer Bars LEVEL & SECURE
Chains IN PLACE
Hitch LOCKED
Brake / Signal Lights OK
Step STORED / SECURE
Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #34

My understanding is that for each setup, you must chock. You may X-chock if you please, for bounce reduction, but you can't use X-chocks exclusively.

I read elsewhere and here that you should use chocks in addition to X-chocks if you use them, since they're not made to keep the trailer in place. My plan was to get the starter package that comes with 2 tandem chocks (although I don't really know what that is, I figured its the right chocks for the trailer) and the X-chocks.

Tina at ETI told me today that you only need one form of chocks, either chocks, tandem chocks, or X-chocks, and they don't need to be used together.

Secondly, she said that tandem chocks and X-chocks are pretty much the same things, go between the tires and must be expanded to stabilize the tires, and can't be used together. The difference is that X-chocks have their own crank, and tandem chocks require a special tool.

Can someone clarify for me?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
My understanding is that for each setup, you must chock. You may X-chock if you please, for bounce reduction, but you can't use X-chocks exclusively.

Other than the fact that I read elsewhere and here that you should use chocks in addition to X-chocks if you use them, since they're not made to keep the trailer in place.
This piece is correct. You should use wheel chocks. You may add x-chocks to them as well.

You are trying to solve 2 problems. First, you don't want the trailer to roll away when you unhook it from the tow vehicle. This is very important and must be solved! Wheel chocks will stop it from rolling. X-chocks are not made to do this. Second, some people also want to have the trailer move as little as possible when parked. This is optional for most people but a nice advantage. X-chocks that "lock" the wheels together help notably with this issue.

I hope that helps.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Other than the fact that I read elsewhere and here that you should use chocks in addition to X-chocks if you use them, since they're not made to keep the trailer in place. My plan was to get the starter package that comes with 2 tandem chocks (although I don't really know what that is, I figured its the right chocks for the trailer) and the X-chocks.

Tina at ETI told me today that you only need one form of chocks, either chocks, tandem chocks, or X-chocks, and they don't need to be used together.

Secondly, she said that tandem chocks and X-chocks are pretty much the same things, go between the tires and must be expanded to stabilize the tires, and can't be used together. The difference is that X-chocks have their own crank, and tandem chocks require a special tool.

Can someone clarify for me?
I'm going to disagree that you can't use x-chocks exclusively. You can, with a couple of caveats. First, you should use a ground chock when your trailer is parked on a severe slope. X-chocks work perfectly well otherwise. And second, the main reason people have issues with x-chocks holding is that they don't tighten them sufficiently. I figured this out the first few times I used them. Crank them down hard. You won't hurt anything, and the trailer won't go anywhere.

Having said that, I've never had an actual campsite with so much slope that the x-chocks wouldn't work. But, a severely sloped driveway or the like might require additional chocks.

As to the difference between "tandem" chocks and x-chocks, I've no idea. X-chocks come with a ratchet tool that fits a hex nut on one end of the chock. They do not have a built in crank.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
X-chocks are not really chocks - they're brakes which work essentially the same way as that lever that you see the wagon driver pulling to push a block against the wheel in an old western movie. They may be considered inadequate by themselves to keep the trailer from moving only because they don't reliably stay in place if not perfectly fitted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
X-chocks are not really chocks - they're brakes which work essentially the same way as that lever that you see the wagon driver pulling to push a block against the wheel in an old western movie. They may be considered inadequate by themselves to keep the trailer from moving only because they don't reliably stay in place if not perfectly fitted.
A good point. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that much of the time, in addition to the X-Chocks, I'm using Andersen levelers in order to level the trailer side to side, and with the wedges in place. So the trailer already has a combination of X-chocks and a form of ground chocks.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #39

This is what ETI provided as a photo of their tandem chocks. So they're similar to X-chocks, not chocks at all.

They seem to be a lesser option, as if you choose the RV starter pack and X-chocks, they just upcharge the starter pack by $30 & replace the tandems.

In application, I'm unsure at this point what combo we'll use, but I guess we'll get the x-chocks and the regular chocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tandem Chocks 2.jpg  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
X chocks are an item that some swear by and others have no interest in. Despite their name, they are not chocks, and the manufacturer even says so in their literature, so they really only, or should only, perform one function, and a non-critical one at that (reduce trailer motion when you walk in it). Given that our trailers are already equipped with stabilizer jacks which already perform that function, I find them superfluous. And my stabilizer jacks make my trailer very stable. Also the x-chocks are big and bulky. Yet many people do love them. They can always be added later if you don’t get them up front.