Coleman Vs Dometic AC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2021, 03:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Coleman Vs Dometic AC

Can anyone shed some light on these choices? I'm on the list for a 5.0 and live in Florida . I have NO camper experience and wondering if the upgraded AC (Coleman) is worth it. Most of my intended use will be plugged in to a campsite utilities ,certainly when AC is needed. I'm working on my build list and have decided on the Coleman (I think)....
Old 01-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My Escape is on order, but from years of RVing experience, both are large enough to cool the trailer. The Coleman will be quieter. The Dometic is loud enough that sometimes I prefer to be hot rather than have it run. You of course may feel otherwise.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Can anyone shed some light on these choices? I'm on the list for a 5.0 and live in Florida . I have NO camper experience and wondering if the upgraded AC (Coleman) is worth it. Most of my intended use will be plugged in to a campsite utilities ,certainly when AC is needed. I'm working on my build list and have decided on the Coleman (I think)....
Jack: I’ve studied quite a few AC’s in my research and this is my take:
-Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTUH (available from Escape) - loudest
-Coleman NDQ 13,500 BTUH (available from Escape) - a bit quieter
Watch this video for a general comparison:

-Houghton A3400 13,500 BTUH - a bit quieter yet (Advanced RV in Ohio was touting them and now they are available from Rec Pro) and some reports are starting to come in from a few who have installed them. Bonus is they are also a heat pump.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ner-17936.html
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

-Custom mini-split- whisper quiet but a very involved DIY project (for perspective my Fujitsu mini-split on HIGH is quieter than the Houghton on LOW)

For most people the adequate solution is likely to go with the Coleman NDQ or make sure the trailer is A/C ready and have the Houghton unit installed after delivery. Since you have a 5.0 the A/C is a decent distance from the loft if you are running it at night. That plays into things as well. With the bigger trailer I’m not as worried about the 13,500 unit being oversized and poorly dehumidifying. On a 17 I would be.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have thought about Rec Pro, but too new to know enough about reliability, service, parts, and not as common in North America. I’ll continue to follow it, and when my Coleman dies, it could be an option, but not yet for me.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I noticed this build pic posted on the Facebook group - must be the new Coleman AC unit. I like the vent louver arrangement better than the Dometic.
Attached Thumbnails
White interior.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Is there a difference in the roof profile between the two? Coleman is known for TALL A/C.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Is there a difference in the roof profile between the two? Coleman is known for TALL A/C.
Donna: It appears the Dometic Penguin 11,000 is 9.5”H, the Coleman NDQ 13,500 is 11.8”H and the Houghton A3400 13,500 is about 9”H.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 45385
If one does not order the AC, but wants to add it later, is there anything significant to know about the wiring/installation for the Houghton? The latter pertains to the 19.
overlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I noticed this build pic posted on the Facebook group - must be the new Coleman AC unit. I like the vent louver arrangement better than the Dometic.
Yes, that is the Coleman.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Hi All, Due to some family health issues I haven't been on the forum for a couple of months so I'm not up to date. Is the Mach 10 NDQ the same AC unit ETI is offering? One of the posts mentions the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ is also a heat pump. Is that accurate? The few times we have used the heater in our Casita without a digital thermostat you get blow away.
In NC AC is a must have during the summer. Without shore power would anyone be able to recommend a Generator<
Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Is the Mach 10 NDQ the same AC unit ETI is offering? One of the posts mentions the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ is also a heat pump. Is that accurate?
Hope everything is ok now regarding family health. If you happen to be referring to my post #3 above I was indicating that the Houghton A3400 is a heat pump. To the best of my knowledge the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ is not.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Hi All, Due to some family health issues I haven't been on the forum for a couple of months so I'm not up to date. Is the Mach 10 NDQ the same AC unit ETI is offering? One of the posts mentions the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ is also a heat pump. Is that accurate? The few times we have used the heater in our Casita without a digital thermostat you get blow away.
In NC AC is a must have during the summer. Without shore power would anyone be able to recommend a Generator<
Thanks

The MACH 10 DQ is available with Optional Heater Assembly ,But i not sure if thats the one escape is offering.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...0-dq-ndq-ac-hp
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks for the replies
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The MACH 10 DQ is available with Optional Heater Assembly ,But i not sure if thats the one escape is offering.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...0-dq-ndq-ac-hp
The DQ or ducted quiet model is for a ducted application. Wrong unit. Pertinent to the conversation is the non-ducted quiet (NDQ) unit.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
My Escape is on order, but from years of RVing experience, both are large enough to cool the trailer. The Coleman will be quieter. The Dometic is loud enough that sometimes I prefer to be hot rather than have it run. You of course may feel otherwise.
Yes we had the Coleman 13500 on our previous camper and it sure was a lot quieter then our Dometic Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The DQ or ducted quiet model is for a ducted application. Wrong unit. Pertinent to the conversation is the non-ducted quiet (NDQ) unit.

I see but looks like both have a heat option . but i not sure if thats a heat pump or just heat strip
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I only know about the Dometic unit but I would like to say I am not impressed. It is always VERY loud and has a constant fan on. We had to use it in Zion N.P. this September as the heat reached 106°. It was kind of unbearable.

We kept switching it off just to have a little quiet, but it gets hot quickly in these units with no windows open. When I looked over the entire Watchman campground it became frightening apparent how much electricity was being used. Blew my mind.

This is a decision that should be closely scrutinized if they is much difference in the different choices. I wonder if there are any YouTube channels on this (other than those mentioned already)?

Yes there are! Here is a page of results.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ir+conditioner
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Casita
I think I would go with the Coleman. It seems every day there is a post about some Dometic appliance failure. Be it furnace, refrigerator, stove, vent, etc. I realize that they are the only viable source for some, but just the name throws me off, nowadays. We have a Coleman on our Casita. It isn't quiet by any means, but does the job of cooling the trailer very well. Even in Florida.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I pretty much had decided on the Coleman. I'm in Florida so AC will be a big part of the experience. No intending to get the heat strip but will get the furnace.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
We finalized our build sheet last week for a 21NE and opted for the Coleman AC. Reasons were:
1. we live in Texas and like it cold to sleep, so I want all the BTU's I can get.
2. I've had Colemans in the past that worked for years with no issues.
3. This is the big one...they offer the Coleman with a Soft Start so I can run the AC off of a relatively small generator.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote