Counter extension bed side - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Counter extension bed side

This seems like a great idea except that Terry and I can't figure out what we'd use it for. If you put something down on it, it seems like you'd want to take that thing off before you went to sleep so that you wouldn't bump into the counter, so that would negate the convenience of a bedside table. I'm curious whether people who have ordered this would order it again.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a counter extension in my 17B. It is between the the sink and bed. We leave it up all the time, but it's at the foot of our bed, otherwise I'd be bashing my head on it.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Ruth, we have the bed side counter extension as well as the counter extension right beside the kitchen sink. They both get used quite often when we are camping, but the bed side extension probably gets a little more use than the kitchen extension (when in use, the kitchen extension slightly impedes access in or out through the screen door). The bedside extension is usually up during the day and evening and is used for Ipads, books, eyeglasses, etc. It does tend to get in the way of my head during sleeping time, so I usually fold it down overnight and keep my eyeglasses and other odds and ends elsewhere. In a do-over situation, I would probably keep both extensions.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have a 17B that has the thicker cushions and we also have a 3" topper. We leave the counter up at all times--the only time it gets in the way is when I change the sheets (don't lean on it--it does bend the arms!)
But we had another counter put up beside the thermostat(which is where we sleep with our heads at that end) I can sit in the corner and not have it be in the way, but I use it for glasses and books etc while I am sleeping..A bedside table out of the way..
And for a large amount of dishes at times I use it when cooking
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I put a table lamp there with some stick up putty and it stayed there for a year, good place for glasses, keys and other items. Slept with the head in other direction.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
It does tend to get in the way of my head during sleeping time
I told you you were sleeping backwards, silly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I told you you were sleeping backwards, silly.
I know you did. Should of listened.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Ours is on the refrigerator wall and that's where our feet are. We leave it up all the time. Good for alarm clocks, iPads, books or whatever.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

We have 3. Two are over the bed. Both used every day for the usual bedside stuff. I will have to ask her if she hits her head...
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Ours is on the refrigerator wall and that's where our feet are. We leave it up all the time. Good for alarm clocks, iPads, books or whatever.
Hi: Kountrykamper... ALARM CLOCKS!!! They're forbidden in "Our Escape Hatch". We do have room for a lot of "WHATEVER" though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Kountrykamper... ALARM CLOCKS!!! They're forbidden in "Our Escape Hatch". We do have room for a lot of "WHATEVER" though!!! Alf
now you are talking retirement trash Alf, good for you...
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I should have said its a clock with a alarm. Alarm part is not used but i get up several times a night and like to know what time it is. I can also keep my glasses on the table so I can see the clock.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Anyone have a photo of their extension on the 19'? We've opted not to include one there because I just couldn't imagine having something that you would be banging into all the time. However, if the extension is placed high enough, it might not be a problem. (We're having the television swing arm mounted on that wall so I was also concerned about too much "clutter" there.)
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #14

You design that space yourself, you place it anywhere, or have them reinforce the wall and include it unmounted so you can place it exactly where you want it. The size is the size of the sink opening, that is where Escape gets these little shelves, from the cutting of the sink hole in your counter top.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #15

Makes sense. Since we're having the wall reinforced anyway, might as well get the extension and mount it if we want. Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The size is the size of the sink opening, that is where Escape gets these little shelves, from the cutting of the sink hole in your counter top.
Maybe originally the extensions came from that cut-out, but I received a sink cover from that cut-out plus an additional extension at the end of the counter. I had another one made (much shallower) and placed just inside the door on the reinforced wall.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
When I spoke with Tammy yesterday i'm pretty sure she said that we could definitely reinforce the walls in the 19 between the frig and the bed and between the stove and the bed -- it wouldn't interfere with wires. And I'm pretty sure she also said that if they install the shelf that there would be additional reinforcement for that . But best to check with her to be sure.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I have the U-shape seating at the rear of my 19 with the folding shelves mounted on both the fridge and the sink sides. I chose their mounting height to be the same height as the top of the counter (and the standard folding shelf at the doorway). Perfect height for snacks and an adult beverage when your lounging back there ;-)

Something to remember is that the folding shelves mounted at that height do somewhat interfere with the opening of the storage area covers under the side seating positions. In my case the tables have to be in the up position to open the covers at all and even then the side seat covers will only open about 45 degrees from their closed position.

In the case of the drivers side seat cover thats not much of a problem because the hot water tank and fresh water pump occupy most of that space. I had no problem accessing the suction side of the water pump to temporarily change the pipe connection to draw the winterizing antifreeze into the trailer plumbing.

Over on the passenger side the storage area is wide open underneath the cover and also accessible from the exterior hatch on that side. Bulky Items that can't get past the now smaller interior side hatch opening (or exterior hatch) can still be loaded into the un-compromised rear interior hatch and then slid around to the side.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #19

Good catch, Robert. I'm having the "U" dinette also with dual lift up tables. I just sent an email re: my build sheet to have my dinette seat bottom modified to account for the table while in closed, down position.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #20

I have the U-shape seating at the rear of my 19 with the folding shelves mounted on both the fridge and the sink sides.

Hi Robert - Since you switched the dinette and the bed around (I'm assuming), how do you find the size of the new bed? From the dimensions on the Escape pages, it looks like making the front dinette your bed reduces the width of the bed to about 14" narrower than the double bed on the 21' (i.e., 40"x80" vs. 54"x80").