Cross border shopping for an Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Cross border shopping for an Escape

Cross border shopping for an Escape
This story is about snowbirds having their trailers shipped to Florida ( they fly down ). There is a company mentioned in the story that transports trailers. They could also be used, I expect, to import your trailer.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1804921923753
Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I was semi-joking the other day that maybe we could just ship our trailer to Baja. But too early to start seriously thinking of that. Got to be patient and see how the next 3 months play out.

The border is a strange situation right now. As it stands right now I could ship our trailer across the border to Bellingham and fly from Vancouver to Bellingham, a whole 10 minute flight and go get my trailer. Not thinking of doing that but it's a bit of a charade to say that the border is closed when it's only closed to cars and humans can fly in.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
You mean I can fly to Vegas?

A friend from work has a condo booked in Mexico for Febuary. Our company travel insurance won't cover him because the borderes are closed but I guess Manulife has Covid travel insurance.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
You mean I can fly to Vegas?

A friend from work has a condo booked in Mexico for Febuary. Our company travel insurance won't cover him because the borderes are closed but I guess Manulife has Covid travel insurance.
Doug our insurance will cover Covid. Did you see the CBC article about trying to get an answer from US authorities about why we cannot drive to the US but can fly?

Ron said you can fly from Vancouver to Bellingham but think he must mean fly Vcr to Seattle, then to Bell.

It seems strange for us who see the US nearly everyday as we drive into our town but cannot go there from here. Our son has friends who have family in MN not too far from here and they meet up at the permanently closed border crossing in our town (with OK from US border patrol and RCMP) and sit on their lawn chairs visiting.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post

Ron said you can fly from Vancouver to Bellingham but think he must mean fly Vcr to Seattle, then to Bell.

It seems strange for us who see the US nearly everyday as we drive into our town but cannot go there from here. Our son has friends who have family in MN not too far from here and they meet up at the permanently closed border crossing in our town (with OK from US border patrol and RCMP) and sit on their lawn chairs visiting.
Alaska flies YVR-BLI. Wouldn't do it myself but it seems silly that the loophole exists and thousands have flown across the "closed" border.

Here we have Peace Arch park at the border. Large open grass areas on both sides of the border. Authorities have have permitted folks from both sides of the border to mingle. Heck, some couples isolated by the closing even bring a tent for their meetings. . But both sides keep an eagle eye on who goes where. Anyone straying in the wrong direction from the park is apprehended.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote