Custom flooring? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
That is a beautiful floor - really like the colour tones , however if we ever change the flooring I think we would go with Jim's cork . We've seen it , it is beautiful and really does have a warmth . But we do think it will take a while for the ETI vinyl to wear out we seem to like having our shoes off , also have "trailer slippers ".
I agree, although Jim's floor certainly did not feel warm when I saw it. Of course that was on a late October night, cold, dark, snow around the trailer which was in storage unheated. I've always thought maybe Jim could do a cork floor in ours, doesn't he kind of hint at that in this thread?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I've always thought maybe Jim could do a cork floor in ours, doesn't he kind of hint at that in this thread?
I could, but the Scotch I would want for payment, might make it quite expensive.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Thank you for your replies on the flooring. Next on the list is checking different fabrics!
Andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012
Jim Bennett, it looks nice!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWinfrey View Post
Jim Bennett, it looks nice!
Thanks. On my 5.0 I will be getting, I plan to use a vinyl flooring we pick out, at least for a while, as I have A LOT of other stuff to get done once I get the trailer, but maybe in a year or two I will do cork again. That was a great flooring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I could, but the Scotch I would want for payment, might make it quite expensive.
Geez, if all it takes is some high end Scotch, sign me up Bro.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Geez, if all it takes is some high end Scotch, sign me up Bro.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You've already put down the deposit. In fact, there is still some left in the account.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Allure flooring is one common make of vinyl like Hugh used, and can be bought at Home Depot. It is an easy install, and looks great. Not near as warm as cork, but it is most likely what I will be using in my daughters trailer.
Morning, Jim -

I'm considering a different vinyl flooring for the 5.0. Since you're in the trades and have experience with different brands of flooring, I thought I'd ask for any specific products to focus on or, avoid? Thanks (again, and again, and again ...).

Rich
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
3/8" thick cork.......Good luck trying to get Reace to do it though, but I know a guy.

Jim, That floor is georgeous!! Did you install it yourself?
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
See #143 here for a wooden floor I did in my first 19' Escape http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...a-1657-15.html
and #174/180 for the completion picture.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Morning, Jim -

I'm considering a different vinyl flooring for the 5.0. Since you're in the trades and have experience with different brands of flooring, I thought I'd ask for any specific products to focus on or, avoid? Thanks (again, and again, and again ...).

Rich
Rich, any quality vinyl floor should do fine. To pay more for piece the size required for your trailer will not cost that much extra. The better quality vinyls are a bit thicker creating more comfort, and the surface wear layer is thicker and tougher, something beneficial to folks like my wife and I that seldom take our footwear off when just popping in.

Just yesterday we went into the flooring store I use for carpet and vinyl on jobs, and got advice from our rep there, and brought home some samples. I was able to say it was for a trailer, and would be ordered elsewhere, but still got help. You could go into any flooring store and not say what it is for, or at least that they are not going to get a sale anyway, and get some good advice. If you get good help, maybe by them a bottle of wine.

We took our fabric sample (which we have already purchased), and our laminate sample (which we will likely use) with us to ensure the selections would work. We also took a sample of the oak like paneling Escape uses and a piece of the wall material. The wall material works with just about anything, and the cabinets with most unless the flooring was too close in colour. We have it narrowed down to 3 samples now, any of which would work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
Jim, That floor is georgeous!! Did you install it yourself?
That I did. Here is a thread I started on the install.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ring-2356.html

As you can see, for my new build I am going with a good vinyl to start, and not doing cork right now, as I already have a couple weeks work (full time) to do on the trailer once I get it. In a few years I will likely do cork again. It really is a great floor, from a comfort, warmth, and looks standpoint.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I'm just finalizing my flooring with Jackie at Pioneer. She said the vinyl distributors they deal with are Armstrong, Mannington, Congoleum, and Tarkett. You can order 14" x 14" samples through the Armstrong website for $5 each. Mine should be here any day.
Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I'm just finalizing my flooring with Jackie at Pioneer. She said the vinyl distributors they deal with are Armstrong, Mannington, Congoleum, and Tarkett. You can order 14" x 14" samples through the Armstrong website for $5 each. Mine should be here any day.
Brenda
Good to know the manufacturers that Pioneer brings in, but those 4 cover 90% of what we order from the stores here. If you can't get samples through the mail, or don't want to spend the money on them, most any flooring store will let you take out samples, most of which are quite large.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #34

Makes sense, Jim, but not always so easy in a small town. One of the local flooring places didn't carry Armstrong or Mannington. (Not sure what they DO carry!) and I wasn't able to find the pattern I was looking for at the 3 larger places I went in Edmontonton. I just hope the samples show up before my build sheet is due!!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Makes sense, Jim, but not always so easy in a small town. One of the local flooring places didn't carry Armstrong or Mannington. (Not sure what they DO carry!) and I wasn't able to find the pattern I was looking for at the 3 larger places I went in Edmontonton. I just hope the samples show up before my build sheet is due!!
Very true for small towns. I feel kinda bad, I have lived in Alberta all my life and did not know where Myrnam was.

One of the problems with smaller pieces that with some vinyls now, it is real tough to represent the whole thing, as the colours a couple feet over may be quite different with some patterns, especially the tile ones. I imagine Googling the product will show some images of full sheets.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #36

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Brenda, you can ask Jackie from Pioneer to see if she has the bigger piece sample of the ones you like. Jackie can take pictures and send them to you. That's what she did for me....
Very helpful lady! Helped me out quite a bit.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #37

Jim, you are in the majority of Albertans if you do t know where Myrnam is! I usually tell people to draw a triangle between Elk Point, St Paul and Vermilion, and Myrnam is in the middle. Most people still look at me blankly..., ��

Marry, thanks for the info. I have pretty good pictures from the website, and hopefully the samples will come. If not, I'll keep it in mind.