Do you need air conditioning? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Well, we went to Chilliwack today and did the build sheet-not getting the A/C. Decided we will try it out as is as the trailer is prewired and we can add the A/C later if we want it being that we are close to the factory. Tested out the fans and it felt like there was a lot of air moving though the trailer. Got the extra window for the kitchen. Didn't know we are saving some of the extra tariff charges since it's before the end of the month which is a nice surprise. Was disappointed to learn about the new doors, they don't sound that great. Apparently they only open to 90 degrees without removing some of the hardwear and you have to figure out how to keep them open on your own. Hoping we made the right option decisions but feeling confident we will love the trailer. Pick up/orientation is on March 18th and are in the midst of planning a trip to Utah for most of April. Signed up for the rally as well while we were there, looking forward to the wine tour!
Good for you by not caving to the majority here who mostly hate the AC as it is so noisy yet insist it is a big mistake not getting it.

We didn't get one after using our 17B (bought used with no AC) in Death Valley in April. Temps were in the 90's, yet the Max Fan made it tolerable.

We mostly dry camp and loathe generators AND don't travel in the Summer months with the masses. We've used our trailer a LOT in the last 4+ years and never wished we had one and like the continuous headroom, which in a 17 is even more important for many.

It did take a little longer to sell our 17B, yet a couple from So. Cal bought bought who planned to camp as we do.

I guess if we lived in a humid climate that would be the only reason for us to consider it.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #82

Trailer: 1991
You know that would depend a lot on the location. In a humid or a hot locale, it's pretty much a necessity.
ridelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #83

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Talking Air conditioning

The question on whether or not to have air conditioning, is actually personal preference. If you going to stay on Victoria Island the days that you would be uncomfortable are few and far between. If you go into the interior of Canada or drops south into the states. The weather will become more unpredictable warmer and more humid. When I was young and stupid I could go into 115°F and it wasn't that bad. Remember I was young and stupid. Now that I'm older with gray hair and have knowledge I love air conditioning. there's nothing worse than Houston in August with 100+ humidity and temperature. Or the Southwest deserts at 115+. As for my beer drinking friends out there there is not enough beer in the world that you can consume at 115° that will make you cool, you'll just be bloated.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
If you going to stay on Victoria Island the days that you would be uncomfortable are few and far between.

I think you mean Vancouver Island, which is where the city of Victoria is located. The city of Vancouver is on the mainland.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #85

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Somewhere in this reasoning is why I did this review. I go back and forth on AC.

And I need a system (kinda) for days when no power is available except the trailer.

IcyBreeze Cooler. It works and it keeps beer cold. What's not to like?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ool-21036.html
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #86

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Someone who lived a thousand feet in the Canadian border I sure screwed up on that one, thank you for the quick correction.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:34 PM   #87
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
well, I just spent two days in Chico, California, camping at the Elks Lodge there while my wife made a run to Reno to take care of some business where I would have been in the way and slowed her down.

It was 106F yesterday/ I was *REALLLY* glad we had A/C, in the peak heat, even with it running on max cool continuously, the inside temp got up into the low 80s

poor guy next to me was a fire evacuation refugee from the Dixie fire in the mountains NE of Chico, he had a big Aljo or something... his power was out, so his AC and fridge and everything stopped working. I diagnosed that he wasn't getting any charge voltage out of his WF8955 power center, and his batteries (2 12V Interstates in parallel) were down to 9-10V. this morning he made the 40 mile run to an RV parts store and picked up a PD4655 replacement ($450 gouge price, ouch), which I installed for him out of pity (no RV place could have touched it before Monday. and more likely mid week). Being an old engineering nerd, I babbled nearly nonstop while I ran the wires, and figured out how to fit it in, then told him my old engineering partner always called out 'tune for maximum smoke' before plugging something in for the first time. asked him to yell out if it did anything nasty when I plugged the 30A cable back into the pedestal and hit the breaker. no drama, cool.
couple volt meter tests, aw, great, had 120V on the AC input, and 13V on the DC outputs, and at his battery, the voltage was 12.x and rising slowly. warned him the batteries were likely damaged and wouldn't hold a very good charge anymore, and suggested he get dual golf cart batts next time instead of Interstate marine/RV batts.... anytways, walked over, and hit the switch on his AC thermostat and it fired right up. Win Win!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:10 AM   #88

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You're a good guy. Hope he bought you a beer.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:47 AM   #89

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Good karma for you, John

And yep, there's occasions when I'm "*REALLLY* glad" to have air conditioning, too
Old 08-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
An angel in disguise.............
Old 08-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #91

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bravo!, Samaritan

Well done! And you did it all in that heat. Ouch!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #92

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My brother was over last weekend to install the micro air soft start for the AC on the 21 so I’d guess you know where I stand on AC. As we worked, we laughed about the nights we spent fishing on the river over 50 years ago when we slept by the fire with an army blanket for a mattress and a blanket in one. And our Lee Rider lined Jean jacket rolled up for a pillow.. That was camping. So yes on AC, yes on fans, yes on inside plumbing, yes for lights and refrigeration, yes on fresh, grey and black tanks of any capacity yes to comfort of any type for me.

Visibility here is less than two miles due to western and northern forest fire smoke, Jake is out in the driveway with his nose in the air. When he comes in he will give me an analysis of the wood types he sensed.
Have a good month of August.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My view on trailer AC is, better to have and not need than to need and not have. Same goes for an Iowa Dave neighbor when in a pinch.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #94

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I will say living in the country , being in a mechanical jam, bad weather, or worst on all needing a stiff drink will make you more resourceful. I’m watching the wild grapes swell and mature on the divided Highway chain link fences going into my home town and it makes me think about making grape wine with my folks every fall when I was but a yute. And sucking on the hose to draw off a pitcher for my dad when he got home and getting an (at first) unexpected mouthful was the pleasant start of my drinking career. But I digress. Have a great day and stay cool.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #95

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Excellent work, John! That guy was lucky to have you there. And it gave you something to do to pass the time. Time well spent.

I think it's probably been covered eight ways to Sunday about whether or not to get AC. In the first summer with my new property in southern MO there were a few months that I would just pack up the dogs during the day and we would tour around the area sightseeing in the air-conditioned Jeep.

It was a welcomed event to find an electrician that finally had the time to put in electricity at my little campground. They had been too busy for months rewiring around the region after the 1,000-year Current River flood event.

The heat and high humidity of MO make AC pert-near a definite requirement, especially as I camp there nearly every month. Last week with temps in the 90s and humidity 75 to 100% I ran the AC from 10 am to 7:30 pm on average.

In almost 6.5 years though I have yet to need AC at night and only use it a few months a year but I would not be without it for my circumstances.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
In the last 4 years of camping I may have used the ac a dozen times. Glad to have it .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You're a good guy. Hope he bought you a beer.
oh, he insisted on giving me $75 cash after I'd diagnosed the problem. while he was out, I actually nearly flagged down a guy in a pickup with an electrician company logo on his truck who drove through the camp to offer him that $75 if he'd help my neighbor, but the electrical just drove around the loop and left. I did this, as my wife was due back to camp shortly, and we were about to pack up and head home...

anyways, after he got back with the PD4655 and I installed it, I felt much more justified in the $75, that he'd gotten his money's worth.

it probably took me an hour total and a fair bit of that was because I didn't actually pay any attention to the instructions, I pulled out the WF8955 power converter, and tried to fit the whole PD metal box in its place, nope, doesn't fit, then I removed the PD4655 module from the metal box and removed the wd8955 module from the plastic tray it sits on, and nope, I couldn't fit the PD on the WD tray, then I realized the PD module just fit in perfect as-is, so I wired it up like that, but there was nothing to secure it, THEN I looked at the manual and realized that black plastic strip/clip thing was the magic.

oddly, PD's website doesn't actually say the PD46xx fits the WF89xx power centers, but the manual does have 2 pages on them.

so, when your WF89xx in your Escape croaks, I highly recommend installing a PD46xx of the same size (they come 35, 45, 55 amp). Said RV neighbor said the RV service place he got it at told him the WF modules die commonly, and they always use the PD to replace it and have never had one come back

oh, the other complexity, on his trailer, both the microwave AND the converter were on the same breaker, and the two black wires were soldered into what looked like a faston 1/4" socket, who's 'tail' was clamped in the breaker. so, snipped off the faston, stripped the two wires, spread them flat, and twisted them together, and clamped /that/ into the breaker, and verified it was mechanically sound.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #98
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
In the last 4 years of camping I may have used the ac a dozen times. Glad to have it .
yeah, me too, maybe even less than a dozen times, but every one of those times it was a life saver.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:04 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A friend indeed! Hopefully your RMD is working
Old 08-01-2021, 11:20 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
A friend indeed! Hopefully your RMD is working
its not, but the Dometic CFX3-75DZ compressor cooler we bought at REI worked great. I ran a AWG 12/2 marine wire to the back of the truck bed with a powerpole, used my handy powerpole to cigar outlet pigtail on that to plug the cooler in. once cold, average draw was 1-2 amps, or 24-48 amp-hours per day. The diesel truck has dual batteries, and they never got below 12.2V. since we drove the truck nearly every day, the truck stayed charged. when we were in hookup sites, I ran an extension cord to the truck and plugged the fridge into that. If we'd been somewhere for several days without moving the truck, I'd use my 100W solar suitcase to run the cooler. the fridge side stayed pretty much at the set 38F, the freezer side did get as high as 18 or 20F during the peak heat of a 106F day in Chico (day before yesterday) but cooled back down to 5F at night. ice cream, ice cubes, and frozen precooked meals in sealameal bags all stayed plenty cold. in the peak heat after adding some ambient temp beverages, the cooler drew 4 amps for an hour or so, but averaged over the day it was still around 24-48 AH.

I'm sold, I am planning on eventually replacing the RMD8555 with a Norcold or other compressor fridge/freezer in the same ~7 cu ft size range.