Do you need air conditioning? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 17B 2019
Do you need air conditioning?

We are buying a 17B and have to have the options list ready for December. We don't have a lot of trailer experience except for our tent trailer a few years back. I've never been a big fan of A/C and don't find we need it in Vancouver area. Don't like the idea of camping with the windows all shut up. My question is if it is needed in the escape trailer. We will likely be camping in BC for the summer months so might be in the Okanagan I guess. My husband might be in the south a bit in the winter. Does the trailer get really hot? Does it cool off at night? Maybe there are some people out there without A/C who can let me know what it's like. Thanks!
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd haul my 17B south to Palm Desert to visit a buddy in the winter, but I don't have air. If you think you might snowbird, I'd get it.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If you travel anywhere that is hot the AC could make your stay more pleasant.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It depends on where you end up. Today it hit 107°F here in Apache Junction, AZ. While I would prefer to be in the mountains, circumstances happened that I'm not. While I rarely use it, today (and the last week or so) I love my AC!
Old 09-30-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we usually don't have power where we are camping, so the A/C gets very little use.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Pretty sure all the new generation units are built ac ready, so you can always opt to add it later. Doubly so given your close proximity to the factory.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
If you have AC you don't have to use it but nice to have when you need or want it.

Also, some day down the road you will sell the trailer to upgrade to larger Escape . Having AC unit could make all the difference for quick sell.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
You never need it until you need it. When we hit California last winter it was a big help. Suspect the same could be said for the interior of BC this summer. On balance I would get it.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
where ina california winter did you need AC?!!?

I mean, I've lived here my whole life, and have not had AC since an apartment in college in the 70s in Marin.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I would say there are two main things you should consider to answer this question.
Where and when do you do most of your camping, would it be warm enough based on what you know that you would want AC?
Resale, without the AC it would limit some of the people who might be interested in it.
We are in the SE and no way you could get by here without AC unless you don't mind sweating. I'm amazed at the amount of people we see tent camping that bring small window AC units to put inside there tent.
I always try and think about it this when I have a decision like this to make,
better to have it and don;t need it then need and and you don't have it.

Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Another factor to consider is that it would make selling the trailer a lot easier if you chose to do so. I think most buyers want air and plans change. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It can be added later, depending on location of the buyer.....
Old 09-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
It also depends on whether you are willing to suffer through the occasional hot spell, and whether you have pets that would be in the trailer. I don't have it and in two years I've hit 3-4 times I needed it and wished I had it- and I haven't been out of the northwest. There are places I won't go unless I do something about AC. But part of that is having a dog that can't be left with windows open because he barks when I'm gone, and part is me just hating hot weather. We can just sit outside in the shade (real or artificial) and wait for the cool of the evening on those days and at least here, that's tolerable.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
When you need it, you need it. AC is kinda like insurance. You hope to not use it, but when you do, you're sure grateful to have it.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Donna D's take on air conditioning was that she would have her trailer A/C ready as she had no immediate plans to travel where A/C would be needed. Upon retirement, she would add a brand-new A/C unit, saving several years of wear and tear on the optional unit at purchase.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
We are one out of few that do not have ac. Do we miss it? No.
Our way of camping, when warm: in the daytime keep windows and blinds closed (except kitchen), maxx fan on (blowing out). At night, when outside cools down, open up everything.
Works for us so far. We do have the extra insulation and under foam, which helps keeping cold, but also warm, out.
And yes, we did camp in 35C. The Boler event was one of those warm days, and we were still comfortably sleeping at night.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Every couple of months a new thread on this topic occurs. And, every couple of months it gets pointed out that this is about location. Really that simple. You'll know it if you need it. Don't try getting an RV without AC if you live where we do, unless you intend to camp only from October to March. I'd say there are probably 3 categories: One where you don't need it, one where you MAY need it, and one where you definitely DO need it.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We live in Northern Wiisconsin We don’t have A/C in our home .
We do have it on our trailer and would not own a trailer without it.
If you plan on traveling a furnace and A/C are a worthwhile investment
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Being from BC, if you hit the Okanagan in the summer, you'll appreciate it if access to power. Even if you turn it on for a few minutes, it'll take the edge off the suffering in 39+ degree heat. We don't use it much, but when we do, it's much appreciated. If you go to sale, it'll take a certain amount of potential buyers out of the picture. You can have it added after, but most likely at an increased cost.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
"Need" is so subjective. During the big trip, I found a VERY good reason you may want air conditioning... it removes some humidity! While on the East Coast where the temperature was hovering near 95 degrees F, and the humidity was 100%, everything, absolutely everything was wet inside the trailer. Including the outside of the refrigerator! I was constantly wiping the door down. We had the MaxxFan running full blast and opened all the cupboard doors too. I could handle the heat... but NOT the moisture. UGH.

I now know what people are really asking when wanting to know about a dehumidifer. In my previous narrow view, it was only about needing to remove moisture at the end of a camping trip or during storage. Boy was I wrong!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote