Dual 6v Batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Dual 6v Batteries

I just thought of something while reviewing my final build sheet which I have been asked to sign off. We have optioned the full solar setup with the dual 6v batteries; I also bought a Zamp port which they are going to install for us in case we end up doing a lot of boondocking and need more capacity.

My question is regarding the extra capacity, most portable systems I have come across that plug right into the Zamp ports specify they are suitable for 12v batteries. Does this mean that we are going to have to buy a specialized system?

Are we doing the right thing getting these 6v batteries? Please advise, we're not going to sign off until I have this figured out. THANKS
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The two 6v batteries are wired in series, making them look like a big 12V battery to just about everything.

One point on the Zamp port - it can be wired directly to the batteries or to the input of the Escape's on board solar controller. Which you ask for depends on the portable system you plan to use. If the portable panel has a on panel controller, you want the port wired directly to the batteries. If it doesn't, or you do a bit of connector work on the panel & provide a connection directly from the panel (bypassing the on panel controller), then you want it wired to the input of the trailer's controller.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Thanks Jon, that makes a lot of sense. As an example of what I was looking at see link below.

180W Folding Solar Panel Kit - We Go Solar Canada

It does seem that most of these so-called briefcase systems come with a controller so I guess I should ask them to wire directly to batteries? I wonder if that may be a good idea anyways in terms of redundancy?

Thanks for the input,

Mars
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
From what I have read it is better to get portable solar panel without controller and wire to the RV solar controller, but either way will work.

I look at it this way, One brain controlling all the solar input is better then two brains that think/calculate differently.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

I also prefer to use just the trailer controller. I added a connector to the solar panel terminals & the input to the panel's controller. I can use it as designed if I lend it out or want to charge the truck. I unplug the panels from the controller & plug them into the cable leading to the trailer Zamp connector. Gives you the advantage of both.

If you never plan to use the portable panel for anything but the trailer, I'd buy a panel without a controller. Much less expensive, although you won't get cables, a case, etc. Try to match the voltage between the portable panel & the trailer panels (you will have to look at the specs) for the most output.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
....If you never plan to use the portable panel for anything but the trailer, I'd buy a panel without a controller. Much less expensive, although you won't get cables, a case, etc. Try to match the voltage between the portable panel & the trailer panels (you will have to look at the specs) for the most output.
"That's not entirely accurate Mr. President." My Renogy 100W folding panel came with a suitcase as does the Lensun.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
"That's not entirely accurate Mr. President." My Renogy 100W folding panel came with a suitcase as does the Lensun.
I was referring to purchasing a bare bones panel, the least expensive way to go. Glad to see there are panels available with cases but no controller.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018
Hi sorry for adding to this thread but i dint want to start another solar thread.

My question is in regards to the Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 6 Volt 260Ah, Has anyone used these or see much value in swapping from the escape factory inerstate model?

here are the links to the two batteries.

Esacape factory 225 ah - https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ts/gc2-ecl-utl

Renogy 6v 260 ah - https://www.renogy.com/renogy-deep-c...-6-volt-260ah/

Just looking for any feedback from using the renogy batteries.

Thanks
TYHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Maybe as a substitute during build the Renogy AGM’s would make sense. Not much value in swapping out the Interstates for these on existing trailer until about 5-6 years when it’s time for replacement. My Interstates are 3.5 yo and still going strong. The batteries being on the tongue makes maintenance checks every three months simple on the flooded batteries.
I’m currently planning on going lithium in 2 years when it’s time for the original Interstate battery replacement, and will put them inside under front bench of the u dinette.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Two original sixes-- six years old and looking a tad ugly but still chugging nicely along. Did need to add some distilled water a year ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Batts1.jpg  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Two original sixes-- six years old and looking a tad ugly but still chugging nicely along. Did need to add some distilled water a year ago.
Hi Myron us too . Add water to our 6 volt interstates and so far going good wil be 6 yr In Sept. At Quartzsite with our 180 flexible solar panels on roof ,never needed our generator or the folding 80 watt folding panel we brought , just in case . Our first real test since solar install last year , boondocking . The second day with a little cloud cover took until about 12-30 -1 to get back to 100%. Next day with early sun back up to 100% by 10:30 am . Very pleased with the whole system so far . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
You may want to clean those terminals for better conductivity.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
My Interstate dual six volt are starting their sixth year and I believe they are starting to show some wear. Last summer I did a series of tests using a hydrometer and I thought came up with pretty good results. The problem was, I did not have the results from any prior tests to compare them to. So they tested fine but it appears they do not have the holding power they once did. Having a Trimetric Battery Monitor I watch them closely, too closely. They seem to lose charge faster. They also seem a bit harder to charge, however using solar to charge, makes that a very difficult measurement.

I have planned for a replacement during the summer, how they perform in the next several weeks will help determine just when and if. Right now AGM is the leading candidate.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I just replaced my dual 6v factory installed Interstates with the same thing, that I picked up from Escape, as I got 7 years out of them. Anything else other than wet cells would have cost twice as much which would have mean that I would have had to get 14 yrs from them to be cost effective. Couldn't see the point.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote