E21C completed 20 days early & pickup planning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2023, 07:31 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Other than Osoyoos, we seldom make reservations. That way we can continue or stop when we want. With the Escape, you can camp just about anyplace.....
Old 03-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
With a tandem axle the Trailer Aide is safer than a bottle jack.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I4JPZE...m?ie=UTF8&th=1

Going to need leveling ramps too; many here prefer the Andersen (need to trim);
others- including myself prefer standard ramps.https://www.amazon.com/Homeon-Wheels...%2C152&sr=8-99
Those easily fit in the front box along with these solid rubber chocks from Harbor Freight:https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html

Not sure what ETI now charges for sandpads- they were $25 installed & keeps the C-jack from digging in to soft ground.https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Stabili.../dp/B0024E6Z9U

And BAL X-Chocks-

https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...0-4513d670b6bc
Old 03-05-2023, 11:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
we seldom make reservations...

With the Escape, you can camp just about anyplace.....
I know, right? Almost every city has on-street RV parking all over, like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, even Vancouver.

But seriously, while I am buying and equipping a boondocking rig, for the trip home I intend to stay in established campgrounds and parks, mostly with full hookups.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Going to need leveling ramps too; many here prefer the Andersen (need to trim);
others- including myself prefer standard ramps.https://www.amazon.com/Homeon-Wheels...%2C152&sr=8-99
I have trouble envisioning how those ramps could work with tandem axles.

I already had a set of the lego-style leveling blocks which will get me by for the first trip home. If I curse them after that trip, I'll look into alternatives.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post

I already had a set of the lego-style leveling blocks which will get me by for the first trip home. If I curse them after that trip, I'll look into alternatives.
The benefit of the Andersen levelers is that you don’t need to guess how many “lego” blocks you’ll need to reach level. As Rossue mentioned, one of the Andersen levelers would need to be trimmed to fit between the tires. A circular saw does the trick. If you happen to have a table saw that’s even better. I cut mine at a 45-degree angle.

As you said, though, the lego-style will get you home well enough.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:48 PM   #26

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:

I was in the same boat as you on the Anderson ramps but they worked perfectly the first time I used them. Super simple
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
The benefit of the Andersen levelers is that you don’t need to guess how many “lego” blocks you’ll need to reach level.
Actually I think the situation is similar to a person who's very familiar with using tools. They don't have to look at a nut and guess what size wrench is needed. They just look and mentally say, 9/16", and reach for it.

The same for solid leveling blocks. As I pull in and stop almost where we'll park my wife says, we're good or "one block" or "two blocks". Except in extreme cases "dig a pit".

Solid blocks are versatile. Plastic blocks are limited by their tendency to crack if used under the stabilizers on soft soil.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:31 PM   #28

Quote:

Here ya go: the benefit of ramps is you don't have to pull out the blocks & set up. Sometimes we'll use the big Trailer Aid when needing more height and back up on it higher than we need then roll forward on the yellow ramps used together.

They're $30 vs. $90 for Andersen ramps.
Attached Thumbnails
Yellow ramps.jpg  
Old 03-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Here ya go: the benefit of ramps is you don't have to pull out the blocks & set up. Sometimes we'll use the big Trailer Aid when needing more height and back up on it higher than we need then roll forward on the yellow ramps used together.

They're $30 vs. $90 for Andersen ramps.
DId you have to modify that ramp to fit between the two wheels?

Once you've rolled-up on them, do your chocks stay without slipping on the ramps?
Old 03-06-2023, 02:59 PM   #30

No modification; sometimes we back up onto them. When on a slope and want to unhook we'll put chocks on the unramped side and use BAL X-Chocks as well on both sides.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Steve wrote: I don't know about you, but reserving campsites for a 1,400 mile journey with barely 2 weeks notice, in a shoulder season where a lot of places are still closed, when this relative newbie doesn't want to spend more than about 3 hours driving/towing each day, seems quite challenging.

Hi Steve,

I chose to stay at the Lynden KOA for 2 nights after pick up. This gave me time to sort through all of the systems, do a thorough inspection to be sure that I got what I ordered, & just get comfortable with things. After that, this newbie found that the trailer was so easy to tow that doing a fairly long haul at reduced speeds was no problem. Spending nights in Walmart, Cabela's, & Pilot/Flying J parking lots meant that reservations weren't needed; this flexibility was great when a brake issue held me up for 2 days, & then I did a couple of very long hauls to get ahead of some weather. Also, KOAs seem to be open year-round & usually have open sites outside of the peak season.

Just my 2 cents worth. Very best of luck to you on this adventure!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:06 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
With a tandem axle the Trailer Aide is safer than a bottle jack.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I4JPZE...m?ie=UTF8&th=1
Might be handy for greasing bearings, and taking a wheel off a parked trailer. Problem is, you have to hitch up in order to use them—bit of a pain for me at home. But so is using a jack. . .
Old 03-07-2023, 08:55 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I use a floor Jack when working on the Escape at home. I have a bottle jack I take along when traveling but don’t use it often. We have the Andersons and use them often when on a site that isn’t level side to side. We have the sand pads and always put them down.

We camped on deep river “pea rock” once in Colorado. I unhooked and put down the stabilizers with pads, didn’t need to level so just thumped the chocks in. Didn’t bother with the bal x chocks. About dark a very severe thunderstorm came up with about a 70 mph wind. It rocked the 19 like an old baby bed. I felt it lift and drop back down several times. When the storm passed I checked the trailer. The pads had “mushed out “ ( technical term) the rock and were about 6 inches out of contact with the rock. From then on if there’s a possibility of a storm I put the trailer back in the ball, put big pieces of two by six iunder the pads, put in the Andersons and the ball x chocks.
It’s a funny feeling when the trailer lifts about 6 inches on one side and then thumps back to the ground over and over.

My thought. You have stabilization, use it all.

Iowa Dave
Old 03-07-2023, 09:10 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I use a floor Jack when working on the Escape at home. I have a bottle jack I take along when traveling but don’t use it often. We have the Andersons and use them often when on a site that isn’t level side to side. We have the sand pads and always put them down.
My floor jack doesn't go high enough, even on a couple of 2xs. With bottle jack I have to crawl under to get it under the frame and work the handle. Crawling is a drag at my age. Grumble. . .
Old 03-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #35

Trailer-Aid while traveling is what I should have said. How would one use a bottle jack safely while on the road without jackstands? I do hitch up to do maintenance on wheels while home as well- it is not hard in my driveway and seems more secure.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:33 AM   #36

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have heard the using one of the Andersen Camper Levelers on one tire will get the other one high enough off the ground to change.

I can't find a video but I did find one on Andersen's Rapid Jack. It's the same concept of the camper levelers but about 2" taller.

WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I have heard the using one of the Andersen Camper Levelers on one tire will get the other one high enough off the ground to change.
A basic chunk of 2"x by 6" or 8" under one wheel won't quite lift the trailer high enough to allow the other wheel to be removed.

That's why I made two blocks of 2"x 8" and added a 1/2" piece of plywood to the bottom. That does two things, lifts the other wheel high enough to remove and reinforces the wood block.

Of my several size blocks these one have been the most versatile for leveling use.

Ron
Old 03-07-2023, 09:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
My floor jack doesn't go high enough, even on a couple of 2xs. With bottle jack I have to crawl under to get it under the frame and work the handle. Crawling is a drag at my age. Grumble. . .
This is the way I do it using the floor jack.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003 (3)_resize.jpg  
Old 03-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This is the way I do it using the floor jack.

Ron
Jack stands too or living dangerously?
Old 03-07-2023, 10:55 AM   #40

Trailer: WTB: E19
Jack stands? we don't need no stinkin' jack stands....get yourself one of these and go to town

PLEASE NOTE: This is for humor only. DO NOT USE ONE OF THESE
Attached Thumbnails
jack.JPG