E21C completed 20 days early & pickup planning - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2023, 11:10 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Jack stands? we don't need no stinkin' jack stands....get yourself one of these and go to town
LOL. Growing up on a farm, those bumper jacks were your best friend until the high lift jack came around. Still have my 50 year old HLJ in the garage. Haven't used it in many years but still can't part with it.

I've always been a bottle jack kinda guy. Yes, you have to crawl under the trailer or whatever to use it. Guess I just got used to it. I also carry a couple of jack stands.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Jack stands too or living dangerously?
Not for just removing a wheel. That's the only case that I wouldn't bother with a jack stand. And always if I have to put any part of my body under the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not for just removing a wheel. That's the only case that I wouldn't bother with a jack stand. And always if I have to put any part of my body under the trailer.

Ron
Yeah, big difference between a dual axle trailer and a single when it comes to 'safety.' Removing one wheel on one side of a dual axle trailer, the trailer isn't going to fall. Thank goodness. I always used jack stand on my Scamp when I removed it's single tire. They were just sitting under the frame, not wedged tight. Easy to put under, easy to remove. Safety first!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #44

Trailer: 21
Amazon has jack extension for floor jacks if needed. I just cut a 4x4 boost to the needed length n set on jack pad n lift
Old 03-07-2023, 01:52 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When that bottom plate on the “bumper jack” spits out and hits you in the mouth, you can use the phony lug wrench to beat the plate and the post to death, then head to the endodontist for some smile reconstruction work. I’d rather use a Model T jack than one of those. And yes, always good jack stands.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #46

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
So I am getting the message here that I need something other than my truck's scissors jack in case I have tire problems with the trailer.

It looks like, just maybe, my lego-style leveling blocks might just do the job in a pinch, or else I need some kind ramp-like device. Got it!
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:40 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello Steve.
Picked up a sheetmetal screw in one sidewall on trailer.Used the Andersson leveler.
Can't believe how easy it was to just drive up on that wedge shaped thing and block the other wheel.Fast and easy.Fits in the front box.Had already spent the money on that special one that Andersson makes for fixing flats.Surplus now.The Hi Lift Jacks are good but a bit tricky to use.Been using one for my heavy duty utility trailer on a sloping black top drive way.I still have most of my teeth, but it has been close a few times.Good on hunting trips in the mud.Just saying.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:18 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, big difference between a dual axle trailer and a single when it comes to 'safety.' Removing one wheel on one side of a dual axle trailer, the trailer isn't going to fall. Thank goodness. I always used jack stand on my Scamp when I removed it's single tire. They were just sitting under the frame, not wedged tight. Easy to put under, easy to remove. Safety first!
Exactly. Having a jack fail on a tandem with one wheel removed, no big deal. Having a jack fail on a single axle with a wheel removed, big deal.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:49 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
So I am getting the message here that I need something other than my truck's scissors jack in case I have tire problems with the trailer.

It looks like, just maybe, my lego-style leveling blocks might just do the job in a pinch, or else I need some kind ramp-like device. Got it!
Or, you can have an all-in-one block like this. Provides the 2" lift needed and no pieces to slip and slide. One 2'x8" doesn't quite lift enough. Or a piece of 2"x8" plus a plastic block. Multiple plastic blocks work but they can crack on soft soil and crack more when the plastic gets brittle.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-01-2016 12-23-30 PM_0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 12:44 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Yes, the lego style leveling blocks will be sufficient to change a tire. Here is a photo of how I used them to change a blowout on my ATC trailer last year.
Attached Thumbnails
20220627_105251.jpg  
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:00 AM   #51

There is lots of good experience shared in this thread. My original question was answered in several interesting ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
I chose to stay at the Lynden KOA for 2 nights after pick up. This gave me time to sort through all of the systems, do a thorough inspection to be sure that I got what I ordered, & just get comfortable with things.
An extra day close to the factory seems like a great idea.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #52
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
There is lots of good experience shared in this thread. My original question was answered in several interesting ways.

An extra day close to the factory seems like a great idea.
Hi Steve. We chose to stay at the Lynden KOA for 3 nights. First day was with full (water, electric, sewer) hookups, then the next day we unhooked everything and tested all the dry camping features like the water pump, fridge on propane, and such. Gave us peace of mind to test it all while in close proximity to the mothership.

Looking forward to hearing your report after your maiden voyage. Again Congrats! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:46 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I have trouble envisioning how those ramps could work with tandem axles.

I already had a set of the lego-style leveling blocks which will get me by for the first trip home. If I curse them after that trip, I'll look into alternatives.
Hi: SteveSgt... Here's a pic of our Andersen's in use. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050435.jpg   20230202_100911.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Here's a pic of our Andersen's in use.
That's a helpful illustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We chose to stay at the Lynden KOA for 3 nights. First day was with full (water, electric, sewer) hookups, then the next day we unhooked everything and tested all the dry camping features like the water pump, fridge on propane, and such. Gave us peace of mind to test it all while in close proximity to the mothership.
Thanks for that. We adjusted our plan to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Looking forward to hearing your report after your maiden voyage. Again Congrats!
The day is almost upon us!
Attached Thumbnails
Steve&Jean at Sumas.jpg  
Old 04-03-2023, 04:45 AM   #55

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Exciting times!!!!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:29 AM   #56

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022

I have one of these kneeling pads from Home Depot. 1.5" thick 22"x15" and quite cushy for about $10-15. Money well spent.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:31 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post

I have one of these kneeling pads from Home Depot. 1.5" thick 22"x15" and quite cushy for about $10-15. Money well spent.
I use a canoe cushion.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:12 PM   #58

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
The day is almost upon us!
Hey, that place in the background of your photo looks awfully familiar! Haha. Good luck on the maiden voyage of your new Escape, and happy camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #59

Trailer: 1985 Coleman pop up
We are scheduled to pick our 21NE next week. Leaving from NJ on Thursday afternoon. Should arrive in Chilliwak by Monday Afternoon.
Can we pick up the temp tags anywhere in Washington? Jersey is being Jersey and giving us a hard time about title so we cant get tags until we return.
pixsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:36 PM   #60

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixsniper View Post
We are scheduled to pick our 21NE next week. Leaving from NJ on Thursday afternoon. Should arrive in Chilliwak by Monday Afternoon.
Can we pick up the temp tags anywhere in Washington? Jersey is being Jersey and giving us a hard time about title so we cant get tags until we return.
Does NJ offer an "In Transit" tag? If they don't I would just run with no tags and the Escape "export to the US paperwork" and then register it in NJ when you get back. I don't know of anyone who ever got hassled doing that.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote