E21C completed 20 days early & pickup planning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
E21C completed 20 days early & pickup planning

We got the word today that our Escape 21C is substantially complete about 20 days early.

Karl wrote:
Quote:
Your Escape has left our main assembly line. As you can see from the last set of photos, there has been substantial progress to your build i.e., the main structure and cabinetry are in place, and all systems are installed and fully tested.
It looks like they won't be forcing us to take delivery before our pre-arranged possession date, which is almost 5 weeks out.

As we build a packing list for our 2,600 mile pickup trip, can anyone who recently took delivery comment on which accessories were included? For example:
  • Sewer hose? (length?)
  • Electrical adapters?
  • Front jack foot?
  • Tools of any sort?
  • Shower curtain?

What were things you wish you had brought on your pickup trip?
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The stock sewer hose is very cheap, I suggest you purchase a better one, 20' should be adequate for most sites. Shower curtain is included, no jack foot come standard. Electrical should have 30 amp to 15 amp adapter.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
The shower curtain provided is also cheap. Stiff plastic. But it works.
You will certainly need a torque wrench for the lug nuts. They need to be tightened a couple times early on. If you don't have one already just get one from Harbor Freight.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes it comes with a front jack foot but always good to have a block of wood or two.

The four stabilizers do not have feet and 4 blocks would be good there as well.

Some blocks to put in front and behind the wheels as well to keep it from rolling.

They gave us in 2018 an electrical adapter to be able to plug in a standard 120 volt receptacle and also gave us a multi screw driver plus a winterizing blow out adapter.

You will need a hose to hook up or add water and maybe a 6 to 7 inch high step to get into the trailer easier.
Attached Thumbnails
30320223-7951-450C-9CE6-F104F31A8115.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Depending upon your “style” I would recommend two electrical adapters for eventual acquisition, a “dog bone”
50 amp to 30 amp RV and a dog bone 30 amp RV to 20 amp male end to fit a Standard three prong receptacle.

You’ll want sand pads for the four stabilizers eventually. 2X6 by 8 inches long will do for now. You will also want four Chocks to set ahead and behind the tandems. set them every time you get ready to unhook (before you unhook) Your trailer can roll away or fall off the front support if you don’t have the wheels chocked.
I like the Rhino brand stinky slinky.
Finally you’ll need a socket and I’d recommend a cheap six inch extension for your 1/2 inch drive torque wrench/ lug nut rig. Once you get home you can build your tool and accessory inventory and buy the good stuff. The cheap 1/2 inch drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight is pretty accurate and usable for a long time if you don’t do other nut torque wrench real often. I wouldn’t knock it. However, don’t use it to break nuts loose, like to change a flat or rotate tires. For that you should use a 1/2 inch breaker bar.
You should get a water filter for your fresh water fill hose whether you are filling the fresh water tank or hooking up to “city water”. Flush the dusty carbon out of a brand new filter before you use it. It will run black for several seconds and then clear up.
There have been some threads in the past where folks have listed what they travel with as far as tools etc.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-02-2023, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 E19
By the I time I pick up my trailer later this spring, I will have had a full 18 months to mull over all the necessary accessories. I started from scratch, kept a close eye on sales, and managed to stockpile more RV supplies than I’ll probably ever need over the course of the last year. I plan to bring the following “essentials” with me for the inaugural week-long trip home to Calgary from Chilliwack through the BC interior:

- Fresh water hose, pressure regulator, and filter
- Rhino sewer hose kit
- 30A extension cord and various adapters
- Basic tool kit, complete with breaker bar, torque wrench, and lug nut sockets
- Extension mirrors for tow vehicle (brake controller installed)
- 12V air compressor
- A couple of flashlights and spare batteries
- Outside mat, camp chair, and small table
- Wheel chocks and levelling blocks
- Bottle jack
- RV grade TP, tank treatment chemicals, and gloves
- Electrical meter and spare fuses
- Bedding supplies and towels
- Basic set of dishes and kitchen utensils/cookware. This includes ever-important coffee supplies (kettle/press/hand grinder)
- Bottle opener and cozy (very necessary to sample British Columbia craft beer)
- Gravel bike in order to hopefully explore some good cycling routes along the way (trying to convince myself that it won’t be necessary to drag along a road bike along as well).
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I agree with all the others on what to take.

We picked up our 21C on 10/24/22. You’ll have everything you’ll need to go to your first stop except a water pressure regulator and a water hose.

Bring some misc tools just in case and a torque wrench. Torqued are three or four times on the way back.

You’ll enjoy the adventure!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Me too, agree with all those experienced Escape owners, good that you asked.i have learned a lot on this forum since its beginnings.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Does Escape not include a city-water-pressure regulator and hose? They should. Glad Willy mentioned it, at any rate.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:16 PM   #10

I'm surprised that none of you commented on the 20-day early completion.

Anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions. The ones that were new to me were:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape
it comes with a front jack foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave
I like the Rhino brand stinky slinky.
...a cheap six inch extension for your 1/2 inch drive torque wrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk
Bottle jack
I will look into a source for a better sewer hose I can get before we depart.

I wonder if the scissors jack that came with my F-150 would be an adequate substitute for the bottle jack for the time being?

It took ETI three working days to confirm that they'll supply the following accessories (in a message I received after I started this thread):
  • Detachable 30A power cord
  • 10 ft sewer hose
  • Front jack foot
  • Tools: Stablilizer crank, awning hook, screw driver kit, 15A power cord adapter, and blow out plug
  • Shower curtain

Even when you tell me things I think I know, it's nice to have it confirmed.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Thoughts for possible items to consider acquiring at some point:
- Hitch lock
- Locks for front storage box (2)
- Tension rods for securing items in transit
- 2-way water spout splitter (for running one line to city water hookup and leaving a second line available for other water-based chores)
- 90-degree elbow connector for city water hose (makes hooking up easier)
- Holding tank treatment is a must in our book (i.e., Odorlos or Happy Camper - eliminates odors and helps break down “stuff” in black and grey tanks)
- Elbow for sewer hose (if you didn’t get with a sewer hose kit)
- Sewer hose weight (something to keep the sewer hose from slipping out of the ground level dump port - you sure don’t want that to happen, haha)
- Flexible sewer hose support (many campgrounds don’t want/allow the sewer hose to lay on the ground)
- If you plan on cooking with outside propane grill/griddle using the side propane port, make sure you have a propane hose with the proper connector
- small level for, well, leveling the trailer
- Gloves = one set for the “dirty work” (dump duties) and another for other work around the trailer, i.e., hitching/unhitching (I got my hand caught in the coupler latch when unhitching once and I’ll never do that bare handed again - ouch!!! Haha)
- Power pedestal tester (before we do anything to set up our campsite I check the power pedestal to make sure we have a good connection - beats finding out after you’ve leveled and already begun to set up, only to find you have to move)

On the recommendation for extension mirrors, I believe that’s an “eye of the beholder” deal. We have a 21C we tow with a 2021 Ford F-150 that has standard mirrors. With a rear view camera, this set up works great for us. I never towed anything before we picked up in Sumas last June, and I don’t believe we need the extended mirrors. As I said though, YMMV on that.

I made a spreadsheet of items needed for our trailer (starting completely from scratch) and it numbered around 90 items! Haha. Some of that was overkill. Buy what you KNOW you need then get a feel for what else you need to get the job done. Don’t worry, you’ll figure it out. If we did, anybody can. Good luck, and happy camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
(In my opinion, and after using it) The blowout plug is functional but not easy to use by yourself. There are RV specific blowout adapters that will connect directly to your compressor and will work much better. Not urgent for you at this time but good to research before next winter. Got mine off Amazon for less than $20 CAD. You can also make one yourself if you have a piece of hose, the quick connect, the hose adapter and a couple of ring clamps. Either way, totally worth it if you plan to blow out your system with compressed air.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:29 AM   #13

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I wished mine had been done 20 days early. It seems ETI went from a 1 1/2 backlog to nearly nothing very quickly. It sounds like there are a lot of open slots in their schedule coming up so I'd expect even more pull-ups.

By they way, we stayed at the KOA in Lynden, WA for our first night. It was 10 minutes away from Sumas and gave a quick nice spot to unload the F150, load up on some groceries and ready ourselves for our run back to St. Louis.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Congrats on the early completion! How exciting. We took delivery of our 5.0 in January. Included in our 5.0 was a shower curtain, 4 pack of TP, a multi-bit screw driver, crank for the stabilizers, sewer hose, full propane tanks (we paid for), 30 amp power cord plus 15amp adapter, outside shower hoses and sprayers.

We supplied a fresh water hose and regulator(even though we never used it because of freezing temps), torque wrench and socket for wheel lug nuts (pay attention to this!) throw rugs for inside(it was a snowy, muddy trip back), Stabilizer jack pads, flash lights, bedding, some plates and cutlery as well as kitchen utensils, personal items.

We spent our first night at Oostema Farmstead and it was wonderful, quiet and peaceful. Close enough not to be a chore getting there but still secluded. Plenty of opportunity to get to know our trailer better. For the next 1500 miles it was parking lot camping as we tried to stay out of the way of storm fronts.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The stock sewer hose is very cheap, I suggest you purchase a better one, 20' should be adequate for most sites. Shower curtain is included, no jack foot come standard. Electrical should have 30 amp to 15 amp adapter.
I agree about the sewer hose... and got hammered on here from the old timers about a year ago..Not sure if it was because I;m a newbie but glad I didn't use the cheap Escape hose....
Old 03-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: SteveSgt... At least they didn't ask for a postponement. My neighbour has been waiting for over 2 months for his new VW w/ a stir stick, and it's no where in sight. He's got more patience than me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I agree about the sewer hose... and got hammered on here from the old timers about a year ago..Not sure if it was because I;m a newbie but glad I didn't use the cheap Escape hose....
Hi: softmerc... All I can say is it's a shitty job but someone's gotta do it!!! Ya don't want a hose job like in the movie RV either. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
At least they didn't ask for a postponement.
That's still a possibility. According to Karl:

Quote:
Approximately one to two weeks prior to the provisional booking date Escape will confirm location and date... We strongly suggest to wait with any non refundable travel plans until we have confirmed a pick-up/delivery date.
I don't know about you, but reserving campsites for a 1,400 mile journey with barely 2 weeks notice, in a shoulder season where a lot of places are still closed, when this relative newbie doesn't want to spend more than about 3 hours driving/towing each day, seems quite challenging.

I have friends who are full-timers in a class-B van, and they are constantly working to book their week-long sites eight weeks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
My neighbour has been waiting for over 2 months for his new VW w/ a stir stick
A few years ago, I waited almost 5 mo. for a similarly equipped Tacoma.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2022 - 21C
If you have a 12-18 volt battery operated drill, a 3/8" drive 3/4" socket, with a 4-6" extension, and you will make very quick work of setting up and taking down your 4 stabilizing jacks. I also use mine to set my trailer jack, and pull it up when hooking back up for travel, using a Trailer Valet manual jack with the included jack socket. Very fast trailer set up and down vs a manual crank or even an electric jack.
dcgrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post

I don't know about you, but reserving campsites for a 1,400 mile journey with barely 2 weeks notice, in a shoulder season where a lot of places are still closed,
OTOH, that's part of our milk run South and there's no shortage of places to stay, even in Winter. No reservations required.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote