Escape 17'B bathroom fitment - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Escape 17'B bathroom fitment

Hello,

My husband & I are looking hard at Escape trailers, and we're pretty sure that a 17B would suit us. Our major concern is bathroom size, he is 6'2" tall and is concerned as to whether or not he's going to be capable of using the indoor shower facilities. The few inches of difference in both length and depth between the 17' and 19' models has the potential to change our minds, even though we're pretty sure the smaller unit has enough space for us otherwise.

This trailer would be used for mountain bike and dirt biking trips, so being able to clean up at the end of a sweaty/muddy day is vital. We know that we'll end up camping in some locales that it just isn't feasible to use the outdoor shower system.

We're working on trying to meet up with a 17B owner near Calgary to see one in the flesh, but that may or may not work out...

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart!
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I've got a 17b and the bathroom is indeed small. But...sitting on the toilet allows me, at 6'1" to shower. As an added bonus we opted for the exterior shower. It's on the driver side and keeps all the 'rinse off' water outside the trailer.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I've got a 17b and the bathroom is indeed small. But...sitting on the toilet allows me, at 6'1" to shower. As an added bonus we opted for the exterior shower. It's on the driver side and keeps all the 'rinse off' water outside the trailer.
Thanks!

We would definitely want the outdoor shower option as well. Interior showers would be less frequent, but still need to be accomplishable.

So, with the bathroom door closed you can get your elbows up to rinse your hair, for example? My husband isn't "wide" by any means, but is having trouble imagining being able to move his arms around enough in a 2' wide space to get the job done.

Another "tall man" question - would you say the 6'2" spec. on the interior ceiling height is accurate? Do you have the additional insulation package?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #4

To be honest, I rarely do much standing around in the trailer. I go in and sit down or crawl into bed or grab a beer and head back out. We don't have the extra insulation package or AC. We spend most of our time outside.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 19'
Hi, I'm 6'. I was just at the factory this week so the trailers are all fresh in my mind. I decided against the 17B because I had to stoop down too much in the shower. Sitting down on the toilet to shower would be an option, but I prefer to have the standing option, and I found the 17B was not for me. The height of the living compartment was fine.

In the 19' shower, I still have to slightly drop my chin, but I found it so much better for me than the 17B. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

The difference in price between the 17b and the 19 is 3 grand if you're thinking of buying brand new.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I've got an older 17B from an old mold, so it may have changed since then, but I'm 5'5" and the top of my head touches the screen on the vent if I stand up straight! My husband is 5'10" and he'd have to sit on the toilet to shower. There is plenty of room to move your arms and elbows around, assuming you're sitting, because if you're standing it's a little harder to do it without hitting the ceiling.
If your TV can tow a 19', I'd spend the extra for the extra height and bed size!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

Sitting down to shower is totally expected, it is the elbow room whilst seated that's a concern. The ceiling height in the 19' bathroom is still shorter than he is.

Our tow vehicle is a 2005 Sprinter van, the smallest size - which should be capable of towing "whichever".

We prefer to camp as compactly as possible, but need to have "enough" room. When the conditions permit we'll be outside - cooking, cleaning, eating, living - but we know ourselves well enough to know there will be times when the conditions are inclement & we'll need to be able to cope indoors. Our requirements are that the bed & dining area can be set up at the same time, and shower/toilet facilities. There are only two of us, no children, no pets. Motorcycles ride in the back of the van

Thanks for the input so far, we want to be confident we're making the "right" choice before spending money! (New is most likely, used seem to be rare as hens' teeth...)
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

Aaah you have my dream tow vehicle!! A Sprinter is the ultimate dog-mobile, and in a few years when our minivan dies we will probably end up with one. It doesn't hurt that it can tow a 19, which I totally want eventually!
We are 2 humans and 2 dogs in the 17, and it's totally great, but a 19 would be even better! Having the larger dinette up front means you could lounge more comfortably and have more than just your plates on the table at one time. The difference in cost new is so little that I'd pony up the extra since you can tow it! Good luck Maybe the perfect used one will pop up, you never know!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Thanks for the thoughts.

We spent many a happy night in the 6'x10' camper we designed and built for our truck (1963 Mercedes Benz UniMoG), so we know that the living space of the 17' Escape would be ample for us. Keeping weight and size down are important, partially for fuel economy. The addition of bathing and toileting facilities is really all we need over and above what we used to have, as we won't spend quite as much time in the backwoods with the Sprinter and taking bikes (both motorized and non) means that we need a bit better means of being able to wash up at the end of the day.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #11

I think you might find almost no difference in mileage. Pete and Linda had the same mileage towing a 15' fiberglass trailer as they do towing their 19' Escape. As far as I can tell, the difference in weight is not all that much, it's just enough to threaten to push it over my 3500lb capacity though if we weren't careful about options and loading. Here's a thread about real trailer weights from the fiberglass forum: Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV As you can see, there's quite a bit of overlap between the 17Bs and the 19s!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you're boondocking, no hookups, you won't be spending all that much time in the shower because of limited water supply and grey tank capacity. So, I wouldn't worry about the space.
With hookups, you normally have the option of a campground shower, and that's the one that gets used.
Sounds like the outside shower will get the most use. (Use an all-weather mat from your vehicle to prevent mud from splashing up.)
Attached Thumbnails
exterior shower.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For all that, if somebody dropped a hundred grand in my lap, I'd upgrade to the 19 and a larger tow vehicle, but I'd still have to think about it before I committed.

baglo
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My outside shower is a lot higher, and I wish it wasn't. The hose does not reach the ground.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote