Escape 19 build with solar/power/fridge questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
So whats the consensus on portable solar panels to boost what the fixed roof top panel does? Looking for quality and longevity.

We took out the currently still unnamed Escape for a shake down cruise the other weekend to test the unit without mains power. It was 36 deg C, so that was a good test of how it does with the heat. The fridge has fans apparently. It kept things cool on propane. We also had a thunderstorm. Outside of the noise from the rain hitting the trailer and particularly the roof vent, it was far better than the ole staple and glue pop up.
The manual awning is far easier to set up than the awning on the pop up.
It tows quite stable as far as I can tell. We went out with an almost full fresh tank though just for the purpose of weight for stability, loading, and to see how the truck did in the prairies. Truck computer showed 20 liters per 100km on the way home into a headwind of 20-40 kph doing around 100 kmh.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #22
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Truck computer showed 20 liters per 100km on the way home into a headwind of 20-40 kph doing around 100 kmh.
You just made my day .
My Tundra uses 18.3L/100km in similar conditions...of course the price of gas in MB is a less than it is here in Bring Cash BC.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
You just made my day .
My Tundra uses 18.3L/100km in similar conditions...of course the price of gas in MB is a less than it is here in Bring Cash BC.
I have the basic display (only shows full liter), so will have to take a longer trip and do a hand calculation.
What's gas out there now $1.49 a liter?
Is $1.27 here.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
So whats the consensus on portable solar panels to boost what the fixed roof top panel does? Looking for quality and longevity.
I had a lightweight folding portable 100W panel I bought from Powerwerx. I accidentally let it get rained on, which ruined it: apparently it was lightweight because the substrate the cells were mounted on was cardboard, or something similar.

Despite this experience I bought a similar lightweight folding 200W panel like I saw at Quartzsite last year. I won't let this one get rained on. As for performance, this type of panel works quite well as long as you keep it dry.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
So whats the consensus on portable solar panels to boost what the fixed roof top panel does? Looking for quality and longevity.mh.
I’m leaning towards one of the aluminum framed, folding suitcase types - Goal Zero, Renogy, or similar - to supplement the 190w Go Power on the trailer roof. I’m skeptical that the super light folders will prove durable.

BTW, I recently learned that Dometic purchased ZAMP. Zamp has been a high-end, quality option. Dometic could be the kiss of death.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I’m leaning towards one of the aluminum framed, folding suitcase types - Goal Zero, Renogy, or similar - to supplement the 190w Go Power on the trailer roof. I’m skeptical that the super light folders will prove durable.

BTW, I recently learned that Dometic purchased ZAMP. Zamp has been a high-end, quality option. Dometic could be the kiss of death.
That sounds like capitalism, hard at work.