Escape Oven vs Toaster Oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Escape Oven vs Toaster Oven

My last major decision for the build sheet and I'm waffling! Oven or no oven? If I don't get the oven built in, I'm planning to get a toaster oven for those times I want to roast meat or veggies inside. Although I don't plan on using it everyday, I do plan to spend long periods of time traveling so it may be something I would regret not having down the road... Please share your experiences to help me make this decision. If I don't get the oven now, can it be added later?
Thanks so much!!
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Before last year in our temp trailer we rarely ever used an oven in a trailer, even in one we had for 11 years. However, last year used it a fair bit in our temp trailer, especially during crappy weather. We are now putting one in our new 5.0 ta. There would definitely be advantages to a portable oven as it could be used outside in hot weather.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Anything can be retrofitted, but my understanding is that it's cost prohibitive to add an oven later as the cabinetry must be rebuilt. Are you considering an electric toaster oven? If so, that will be limited in use to when you're plugged into AC. The oven, on the other hand, runs off propane, same as the stove, and can be used anytime, anywhere.

We carry an electric Instant Pot, but it only gets used sporadically when we have hookups. Our next trailer will have an oven built in.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
My last major decision for the build sheet and I'm waffling! Oven or no oven? If I don't get the oven built in, I'm planning to get a toaster oven for those times I want to roast meat or veggies inside. Although I don't plan on using it everyday, I do plan to spend long periods of time traveling so it may be something I would regret not having down the road... Please share your experiences to help me make this decision. If I don't get the oven now, can it be added later?
Thanks so much!!
Very major job to add it later. Get it now if you think you might want it. If nothing else, it will be a cupboard to store stuff in. Or if you are OK with a toaster oven, do that. We typically grill everything, so an oven would be rarely used. Depends on how and what you like to cook.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
Thanks so much!!

Sarah, if you have not seen it here is one that has good discussion on the first two pages.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/the-oven-9424.html
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You just neeed to take a look at how you cook at home. If you bake and use an oven at your house all the time, then you should get an oven in the trailer. Your trailer will then closely emulate being at home.
If ur like us and never use the oven at your house, then it would be a mistake to dedicate that space to an oven.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing that I believe is often overlooked, is the fact you can bake just about anything in a BBQ. We did that successfully for years from buns, to mac 'n cheese, chicken, salmon, beef roast, pies, and so on. The nice thing is you can do this outside, keeping the trailer clean and cool. The bad thing is when it is your wife doing the baking, and it is pouring rain and she does not want to go outside. This is where an oven inside is good. Happy wife, full tummy (or something like that) .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Go with the built in. Portable still needs a place to store it when not in use, and cannot be used unless you have AC power. Built in is out of the way and can be used anytime, anyplace.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We don't have a built in oven (on our 17B) but on our first trip, we took a a cheap toaster over we had picked up at the Sally Ann thrift shop. We also have a BBQ, which we plug in using the "Propane Quick Connect" option (a MUST in our view) . We discovered that the toaster oven used up a lot of storage and counter space and decided not to use it. If we want "Toast" in the morning or English Muffins and the like, we just use the cast iron frying pan to "toast", which we can always use on the BBQ outside if we want to roast anything (or fry anything as it does great stir fry too).

I guess its also down to camping style. If you are going to be full time RVers, an oven is probably a necessity. But if you are mainly intending to camp for fun and during (or searching for) good weather, don't worry about the oven and then decide toaster oven or not. Our toaster oven is going back to be re-gifted to the Sally Ann.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It really depends on how much baking you plan to do & how often you camp with hookups. In my case, one of the main reasons for switching from my current 17B to a 21 I'll be picking up in the fall is a gas oven (the others are a built in microwave & a full time 4 person dinette).

I currently carry a large toaster oven (a Crusinart TOB 155) but can only use it with hookups. I do lots of dry camping, have a 1000 watt inverter that will run the microwave (which I have to dig out from under the bed each time I want to use it), but not the toaster oven. I have a propane powered Dutch oven (used with a Volcano Grill), but setting that up for a quick meal doesn't happen. While the toaster oven works great, I've had pretty poor results baking my Blueberry Pies in the Dutch oven. So, that's my story!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I don't have an oven in my 17 but wish I did. I live in SE Alaska and when its cold out, my mind goes to oven produced meals. I like the extra warmth ... if it gets too warm then the heat can be vented. If I planed on camping in warmer sections of our countries, then an oven wouldn't be a "must have".

An oven for me wouldn't be about pies, cakes and cookies .... I like oven roasted meats and vegetables.

Where are you going to camp and what kind of meals do you appreciate?

Tom
Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #12

Thank you so much everyone! All of your comments will help me make this decision, it is such an advantage to hear from firsthand users!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #13

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Sarah,

One thing to consider... The cooking burners on the oven have electronic ignition. The burners on the stove tops do not. I don't know whether the burner output is comparable, but I do know that the cooking burners on the oven are great! I had an old oven with manual cooking burners, I really love the new oven. Much better burners AND electronic ignition. L

Note: the oven has a pilot which you must light each time to want to use it, but that's easy.

I like the oven on my current trailer and plan to get over on my new one.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually the oven is manual light but the cooktop was piezo. I never used the oven in 2 years, carried pots and pans in it. Anything needing roasting was done outside on a Cobb cooker or Weber. It makes the interior too hot in the summer, maybe nice in the winter.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Sarah,

One thing to consider... The cooking burners on the oven have electronic ignition. The burners on the stove tops do not. I don't know whether the burner output is comparable, but I do know that the cooking burners on the oven are great! I had an old oven with manual cooking burners, I really love the new oven. Much better burners AND electronic ignition. L

Note: the oven has a pilot which you must light each time to want to use it, but that's easy.

I like the oven on my current trailer and plan to get over on my new one.

Rich
Hi Sarah , just about everything Rich has already said . This is our fourth RV with a oven in 30 plus years . When we ordered our trailer having had ovens before , one of the first options to go on our list . The biggest surprise was how the burners light as Rich has said . Wonderful ! Never have found the oven to be a problem with heat , camping in all kinds of weather , but it is especially nice in cold weather . Summer , we will be outside with door open and fan running or if at hookups AC will be on . Really great price now with exchange too . Not much exchange when we purchased . Just our thoughts . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #16

Rich you make some very good points, especially the electronic ignition on the cooktop. That coupled with the facts that I will be doing a fair amount of boondocking, and will be tripping in cool climates as well as warm, I'm sold! It will sure be great to make bread on the road! Thank you again everyone for the help!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 2016
We opted for an oven at the last minute and are very glad we did. We used a toaster oven in our Casita when we had hook ups. Our plan with the Escape was to be more comfortable dry camping. We have been in our camper since pick up on February 2. I cannot count the times we have already used the oven. We passed on the microwave and once in a while we miss one but having the oven is great! We heat leftovers and bake great meals. When we travel we store a few loose items in it. If it is hot we run the fan on exhaust and we have not been troubled by the heat produced, even when camping in record March heat outside of Phoenix.
Playdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I have a 17B on order so the oven wasn't an option. I mostly dry camp and cook over the fire whenever I can. Don't take a BBQ.

However, I'm thinking a small toaster oven will be fine for me when I do have hookups. But I wanted the option of maybe being able to bake a little something without hookups, I ordered the "Omnia Stovetop Oven". It's made in Germany and seems to have good reviews, and it's small. I haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out this summer. I got it online from a place called "Seadog Solutions". Sorry - don't know how to post a link.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Sorry - don't know how to post a link.
You just select and copy the address and then paste it into the text:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/ne...reply&p=189523
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 8.31.45 PM.png  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
My opinion of the oven hasn't changed since I posted in the Opinions on oven, please thread. Let me emphasize that one reason I like it is the way it's installed closer to the bulkhead (wall) than they do the stove tops. Some of the "It's Friday" pics showed at least 4 inches between stove tops and that bulkhead, whereas the stove/oven combo is installed with just an inch or so between them. It maximizes the counter space between the sink and stove, which I really like. Of course, YMMV.