Escape vs Cassita - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Escape vs Cassita

I suspect this question has been asked and answered a few time before on the forum but I didn't see it in a quick review. I just discovered the "Escape" after being rather set on the 17' Cassita. We intend to buy within the next year or so and I would appreciate comments from any who may have had to make a similar choice. The extra two feet for not much more weight in the 19' Esczpe is very attractive. TV is an AWD Chevy Traverse. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. Bart
idafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hey Bart, welcome to the fold.

My journey to getting my Escape 19 began first with the decision to buy a moulded fiberglass trailer. My first thought was buying used and fixing it up, something I would be very capable of. Upon realizing (with the aid of my wife putting her foot down) that I had way too many projects on the go as it was, I decided to look at new. At first my searching led me to Casita or Scamp, then I found the Escape 17. After chatting online with some owners, I really started leaning towards the Escape. Right about then, Reace announced the coming of the 19, and I was all over it, as it incorporated everything we were looking for, including a permanent bed and a wet bath. We put down a deposit before it was ever in production, and 4 years later, are 100% pleased with our decision.

While Casita does have a decent offering, and you could likely get it cheaper, the Escape has a few better features like the one piece shell. Plus, Tammy and Reace are great to work with. Their desire to please their customers is obvious in everything they do.

Do a bunch of research on this site and over at fiberglassrv.com to see what others think, and ideas on options you might like to include. Any questions you have, fire away. Lots of happy Escape owners here to help you out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I, too, stumbled upon the Escape after searching other brands for a couple of years. I saw a 17 in person and lurked on this site for well over a year before taking the plunge. I know I made the right decision for me. What I like best about the Escape (aside from its superior quality) is the building process...it truly becomes a custom trailer with the buyer's choice of not only the options offered on their website, but also one's personal choice of fabric, countertop material, vinyl flooring, and actual placement of drawers, cupboards, mirrors, shelves, etc. But the bottom line is deciding what best fits your own needs and budget. Good luck!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Trailer: No more Escape 21
We had a 17 Casita SD and it was just okay for us. Then at the Oregon Gathering at Bandon a few years ago Tammy and Reace were showing their 19' Escape. I couldn't get my wife there to look it over fast enough. The Escape is so much better for us than the Casita. Long story short, we ordered our 19' Escape and sold the Casita.

For some, the Casita meets their needs. But for us the Escape really fits us so much better. It's just a great travel trailer made by skilled craftsman that care and run by some of the nicest people you'll ever meet, Tammy and Reace.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I was enroute to buy a used Casita 17 when I got the phone call that told me it had been sold. To that point I'd only looked at Casitas and Scamps...didn't know a thing about the Escape. I started looking, found their web site, found this web site, and called Tammy for a reference. Turned out there was a 17B just a few blocks from me. Two visits to them and I was sold. I spent a basket more money on the Escape than I was planning to on the Casita, but I think this is going to suit our style a lot better. I got to pick and choose options, call to discuss production, ask questions, etc. I felt like they were really building a trailer for me. I also like that it has more windows than a Casita, a little more head room, my lady friend prefers the wall material, and we both like the toilet arrangement better. I go on some rougher roads, so got the high lift axle option, which with the Casita I would have had to do on my own. I considered looking for a used Escape, and they had one, but once I started thinking about all that I wanted, it was "what the hell, build it the way you really want it". Buying from a small family business that really cares also resonates with me.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We were looking for a 21 ft big foot when we stumbled upon the Escape. We were already down sizing from a 25 ft stick trailer and I was set on a all fiberglass trailer, from the first moment i saw the layout of the 19ft I was sold. We then wen to look at one in our local area and it was done, I ordered the next day.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I checked around a bit for used, but never seriously considered Casita's when I started looking for a FG trailer. Seems that used Bigfoots, Bolers, and Trilliums are most readily available in my part of the world, so that is what I had been looking at. Once I became aware of the Escape products, I lurked on the website for most of a year before viewing a nearby 19'. Seeing it in person was the clincher for me, and I put my order in the following week. My delivery date is rapidly approaching (Tick-Tock - 2 months) and my excitement level is rising.

cheers
dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape
https://sites.google.com/site/ourescape15trailer/home
This site does an excellent comparison.
Will the owner of this site please step forward and take credit.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

Trailer: none
Wow....thanks for your responses. Can't wait to discuss c the 'boss." I suspect the issue will come down to spending the extra 7-10K. I'm assuming an Escape will hold it's value like the Cassitas. Bart
idafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
If you're planning on owning long-term, the extra $ for the Escape becomes a secondary consideration. They hold value extremely well (watch on this forum how fast and how high "for sales" go), and the quality of the components and the build will make the extra cost more than worth it over time. We bought our 19 like Jim, sight unseen, in '09 and figure it will be our trailer for as long as we travel.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have been blown away at the resale prices people get for the used Escapes
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
If you're planning on owning long-term, the extra $ for the Escape becomes a secondary consideration.

Bruce
A most excellent point. I figure that if I do this right the first time, it will be the last trailer I'll ever own. Then my son can worry about resale value...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 17
Reading the escape forums can only take you so far. I think if you see one in person the quality will be apparent. I like when you call or talk to escape you don't get a salesperson. Then if you read back over the years you can see Reace and Tammy really do take care of their customers. But then again, if you go to a Casita forum the owners will tell you how wonderful a Casita is. Good luck on your search.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'
Hi Bart,

We had a Casita 17SD for over four years. It was a good trailer. We went to Alaska in 2010 in the Casita and it was a bit small for such a long trip. I had always wanted the Escape 5.0, which we have now. Another Alaska trip in 2012 with the Escape was great (good vs great).

The best part of owning the Escape, besides the quality, is the customization. When you pick up the trailer, it feels like home right away. Casita could care less what you want. It comes with very few options. Any Escape model you purchase will be great. Tammy and Reace will make sure of it. Their focus is customer service and you get it. Good luck. :-)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmull View Post
Hi Bart,

We had a Casita 17SD for over four years. It was a good trailer. We went to Alaska in 2010 in the Casita and it was a bit small for such a long trip. I had always wanted the Escape 5.0, which we have now. Another Alaska trip in 2012 with the Escape was great (good vs great).

The best part of owning the Escape, besides the quality, is the customization. When you pick up the trailer, it feels like home right away. Casita could care less what you want. It comes with very few options. Any Escape model you purchase will be great. Tammy and Reace will make sure of it. Their focus is customer service and you get it. Good luck. :-)
We're also Casita owners and buying an Escape 19'. We're keeping the Casita though at least for awhile. It's tough and very rugged which makes it ideal for primitive campgrounds where we don't want to take our new rig. Yeah, the Casita factory won't customize but heck, I enjoy doing it and think it's why many are so loyal to the Casitas!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Greggo, I have pulled my 19 on many a dirt or gravel road. I do take it easy on the real rough stuff, but other than jostling around stuff inside have had no problem at all because of the roads.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Thanks Jim. Good news. Think I'm gonna like my Escape!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote