Extra Insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
rvr

Trailer: na
Extra Insulation

Hi,
If I was buying a new Escape, I would probably put it in the extra insulation, but I am looking at a used one that does not have it. Most of our travelling would be around BC in the spring/summer, maybe in March head down to California. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Javier
rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
our 21 has it, its cozy in cold weather, AND its much quieter inside than our Casita was, which just had shag carpet liner on fiberglass.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's another personal choice thing, but... If I were shopping used, and had no plans for cold weather camping, I'd not let the lack of it stop me from buying a trailer I liked.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sounds like me. I have single pane windows and no extra insulation. We've camped as late as mid October in Okanagan and Oregon. Just turn the furnace up.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
Site Team

and too, part of the insulation package is a foam spray all over the bottom. this makes certain plumbing and electrical repairs a little more challenging. life is a balance.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr View Post
Hi,
If I was buying a new Escape, I would probably put it in the extra insulation, but I am looking at a used one that does not have it. Most of our travelling would be around BC in the spring/summer, maybe in March head down to California. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Javier
We head South in Jan. We have double glazed windows but not the factory spray foam. I did add some foam under my trailer.

I wouldn't let the lack of factory foam on the trailer being considered be the deal killer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P1150002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Site Team

I think the double pane windows are a big part of why ours quieter inside. Like, if the windows and door are closed, I'm right outside, my wife is inside shouting at me, and I can barely hear her. and we've spent a night 100 yards from a massive bunch of idling big rigs and could barely hear a hum inside the double-insulated e21.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Javier, I also live on the west coast but south of you. I too camp Spring to Fall, although I have camped in the dead of winter in my Escape.

For me, cold and heat nor noise have been issues in my Escape. I have the dual-pane windows and the extra insulation, but not the foam.

I can tell you, my Escape is far ahead in comfort over my Scamp which had single-pane windows, an exposed-to-the-elements wood floor and very marginal insulation. Interestingly enough, I was always pretty comfortable in the Scamp... EXCEPT those blasted single-pane windows. During the shoulder seasons, the condensation on them was a PITA. After four years, I've had zero condensation on the windows in my Escape. I'm also a solo traveler, so that may mean I'm putting less moisture inside the trailer...

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and too, part of the insulation package is a foam spray all over the bottom. this makes certain plumbing and electrical repairs a little more challenging. life is a balance.
Just to clarify the spray foam is a separate option that needs to be elected. For example, someone may elect extra insulation and thermal windows, but not the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
D505C4A0-2C2B-46EF-A0FA-04F014FDF720.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Other than the insulation does the trailer have other things you would want it to have? Do you think the price is right? Used Escapes are not that easy to come by so if you have found one that checks most of your boxes I would jump on it, that's what we did about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Based on when/where the OP describes they plan to camp I wouldn’t look at extra insulation as a show stopper. If really hot or cold weather was the plan then that is a different story. We do have extra insulation, but no floor insulation and only single pane windows and have still camped like this...
Attached Thumbnails
759E09B8-3545-4887-9F47-C4C9EB2146A4.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Javier, I also live on the west coast but south of you. I too camp Spring to Fall, although I have camped in the dead of winter in my Escape.

For me, cold and heat nor noise have been issues in my Escape. I have the dual-pane windows and the extra insulation, but not the foam.

I can tell you, my Escape is far ahead in comfort over my Scamp which had single-pane windows, an exposed-to-the-elements wood floor and very marginal insulation. Interestingly enough, I was always pretty comfortable in the Scamp... EXCEPT those blasted single-pane windows. During the shoulder seasons, the condensation on them was a PITA. After four years, I've had zero condensation on the windows in my Escape. I'm also a solo traveler, so that may mean I'm putting less moisture inside the trailer...

The more we camped the more we camped later in the year. One time in Itasca State Park it snowed 4-6". We had our Scamp (camped for six seasons in the Scamp) with the gas heater and moisture was running down the windows soaking the rat fur and the floor was ice cold. Yes, we did crack a window, but the choice was be cold or have moisture in the rat fur. The rat fur survived and you couldn't tell it had ever been soaked.

Our Casita (camped for five seasons) seemed slightly better in cold weather. Wet windows were not as prominent, but the floor could still be ice cold in Oct/Nov. Both the Scamp and Casita would have cold air fall from the single pane windows causing your head to be cold in bed.

Our 2003 Bigfoot was ideal. Super insulated with "real" double pane windows, like you have in your home. We were idiots for selling it. The Lance we then went to was nice, but as a sticky, had potential issues that, had we known, would have kept the Bigfoot.

Our Escape 5.0 TA has all the insulation available, double pane windwos, and heated fresh/grey pads. Like the Scamp/Casita we have thin rugs on the floor and the floor is never cold (so far we've camped a number of nights in the teens). With double pane windows we have not had a problem with cold air cascading down the glass, and have yet to have condensation on the windows. The 5.0 is toasty in cold weather, something we could never say about the uninsulated Scamp/Casita.

rvr, look into the future and ask youself if you plan on camping in cold weather on occasion. If you're like us you'll skip any camper that only has single pane windows and only basic insulation. I've been watching this site for the past few years and notice that uninsulated/single pane window take longer to sell and sell for less, in a couple of cases, much less than it would have cost to purchase the insulation/windows when built.

Now that we're both retired we will be camping many nights in sub-freezing weather, something we rarely did when we were working. Think about your future camping, and your discretionary income, then choose what's best for you.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Personally, I would never purchase an Escape that lacked either dual pane windows or extra body insulation. Spray foam and heat pads are easily added at any time, but not the windows or wall insulation. Okay, I’d snap up an uninsulated Escape 13 if one ever crossed my path. That’s a rare jewel in any configuration.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I wouldn't let the lack of factory foam on the trailer being considered be the deal killer.

Ron
Actually for me if it had the factory foam, it would be a deal breaker. I would never spray foam on my trailer. Sheet foam where needed - yes, spray foam - NO. I'm sorry if I offend, but the spray foam is just too ugly for me.

We do have the extra insulation and double pane windows. Never felt cold in the trailer but then again, we try not to do snow! Too easy to just head south.

I have to admit that I have waxed the underneath of my trailer because all that shiny gel coat looks so great.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Coachmen 17FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Good luck on your egg hunt!
You just sold Me on the 17A. Just waiting for my "Sticky" to spring some leaks. Any time now.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 17A
After a 10 degree night outside Bend, OR, and a frozen water tank (17A), we are thinking of having the spray-on insulation done as a retrofit. Dave at ETI says that is the only way to get a heat strip on the water tank. Anyone have experience with a retrofit spray-on?
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't see why getting the foam after the fact would be any different then what they do when it's new, other then maybe the price. It's sprayed between the frame members.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We used to get undercoating sprayed on our fleet trucks. I know it cost more once the trucks had been driven because they had to steam clean and dry the underside to make sure the undercoating would stick. It wasn’t much money but made sense to spend it to me. I’ve seen the bottom of some Escapes get pretty muddy and if I were to install foam I’d want the underside cleaned up. Otherwise I’d think the price should be the “same”.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
FWIW, when I placed my order last fall for an Escape 19 (completion this spring), I ordered the insulated windows and shell, but not the spray foam underneath. I was told that it's fairly easy to have the foam sprayed on down the road if after a season or so I decided we wanted it. Wasn't given a price, but got a WAG of 'about 10% more than if you order it now--they have to clean the undercarriage, but there's no disassembly or anything like that." By way of contrast, she encouraged me to get the high lift option now, if I thought I wanted it, because retrofitting that would be a good bit more expensive than having it put in now--possible, but higher labor charge.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #20
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We can't speak to an Escape without the extra insulation, but we have camped in a Boler with no extra insulation around BC in June- October. In the cooler months, we did experience condensation on the inside of the trailer after sleeping in it. Running a heater and portable fan on low overnight and in the morning for a few hours remedied the moisture on the walls, or leaving the windows open during the day to let it air out. Our Boler had fibreglass cabinets inside, not wood as the Escape does, so the moisture was not a concern, we just had to dry it out.

In our Escape, we went for the Extra Insulation (NOT spray foam underneath, this is an additional option). We have not experienced any moisture in cooler weather or on rainy days. Another big difference that we noticed was the sound- this was one of the reasons that we chose the extra insulation- we typically camp in campgrounds and with the extra insulation, really do not hear much. We had one experience where chatty neighbours would have kept us up all night in the Boler, but we could barely hear them in the Escape.

That being said, Escapes are hard to find! If we always camped in quieter spots or weren't bothered by noise, not having the insulation wouldn't be an issue. With the moisture or temp., you can always turn up the furnace.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote