Fabrics and Formica - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Fabrics and Formica

Hello all, I wanted to share the Formica and fabric choices we think we've narrowed it down to.

First the countertops:
Attached Thumbnails
Formica 3496 Belmonte Granite.jpg   Formica 3526 Travertine.jpg   Formica 6221 American Rose Granite.jpg   Formica 6222 Brazilian Brown Granite.jpg   Formica 7698 Ashen Ceramic.jpg  

Formica 8831 Elemental Stone.jpg  
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team

And now the fabrics/upholstery

The fabrics -- all of them are Sunbrella.
Attached Thumbnails
empire dove.jpg   sunbrella blox slate.jpg   sunbrella foster metallic.jpg   sunbrella milano charcoal.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Thoughts? I know this is entirely a matter of taste, but we are looking for a bit of a lighter, more modern tone to go with the stainless stove/rangehood/sink, etc.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think you could rapidly tire of the fabrics with bold patterns.
I'd go with standard upholstery ( save some money ) and spend on throw pillows. Cause, when you tire of them, you can throw them out and get new ones.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 E21
We went with American Granite Rose, the third one in your list. We chose Frequency Ash for the fabric Sunbrella 56092-0000 Frequency Ash 54" Upholstery Fabric. They are working on our trailer now so maybe next week that part will be done and you can see how it looks when we post photos.

Vella
Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
And you DID get bigger samples (5x7) or so from Formica and you have ordered whatever size you can get from the fabric store.. right? OMG, I can't believe the mistake I would have made if I didn't get bigger sizes of Formica and that bigger piece of fabric. (I bought a yard on eBay). YMMV

I like some of your choices, even if my computer monitor is LAME!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 "Flight Risk"
Nice choices! We are going through the same process for our 19', and we found that the small samples of Sunbrella were not big enough to really get feel for the look. The 5x7 formica samples really helped. We are still undecided, but going for clean and more contemporary look (I think). I know that our fabric choice changed when we decided to switch to the U-shaped dinette - there is just more fabric and a different look to it. Also, it's good to keep in mind that the fabric you might like for the seats would not always be what you would pick for above the windows. Pick something you like for both places

Keep us posted - love to see the pictures of everyone's choices.
JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Big deal, this is a BIG DEAL. Remember, upholstery fabric becomes "unavailable" after a year, 18 months. REALLY. Buy more than you think you need if your really, really like your choice and you THINK you may need to make repairs... I bought a couple of extra yards. Rather buy it now, than from a "vintage fabric" reseller five years from now. YMMV
Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We also are going for the more modern look for our 17B which will be ready August 13. I think if we stay more basic with our upholstery choices and use accent pillows to add colour and interest we will be happier in the long run. These are our choices; Sunbrella Mainstreet Latte, Formica Mineral Jet with Radiance finish and Armstrong Kline in gray. These were the most challenging decisions for me to make. I can't wait to see it all come together soon. Good luck!
Liz
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
We went with American Granite Rose, the third one in your list. We chose Frequency Ash for the fabric Sunbrella 56092-0000 Frequency Ash 54" Upholstery Fabric. They are working on our trailer now so maybe next week that part will be done and you can see how it looks when we post photos.

Vella
I like the fabric color you chose. Another win is that it's not a pattern, so you got away with using less! I'd love to see photos once you get it!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And you DID get bigger samples (5x7) or so from Formica and you have ordered whatever size you can get from the fabric store.. right? OMG, I can't believe the mistake I would have made if I didn't get bigger sizes of Formica and that bigger piece of fabric. (I bought a yard on eBay). YMMV

I like some of your choices, even if my computer monitor is LAME!
Oh yes Donna -- we ordered swatches and samples. I'd never trust my monitor or printer to give me an accurate color!
Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Oh yes Donna -- we ordered swatches and samples. I'd never trust my monitor or printer to give me an accurate color!
Now where can I order a person with full color vision ??:} LOL
I have been looking at the Sunbrella offerings, I know I can not see all colors well ( to many welding flashes) but their idea of grey and mine apparently are not the same.I want to find something that is a bit darker then the stripes on the unit which are pretty close to the color of my truck. This is their offering Search

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Cypher, can I give you a suggestion based on experience in an all molded towable? Stay away from a solid color. Looks fabulous when new, but will show spots and stains more readily than something with a pattern. The upholstery in my Scamp is beige on one side, similar to the one gray with the darker thread (non repeating). It's been a devil to keep spot-free (after all I'm camping!). Fortunately, the other side of the cushions are a chocolate brown.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
Site Team

And just as I said that -- we changed our mind! lol

The veterans here are going to chuckle, but I think we just went a completely different direction on the fabric and countertops. It's all you guys fault, posting those snappy pics of the bold colors and all!

We want the trailer to be FUN, and we LOVE the bold stripes we've seen in some of the pics. So, our latest creation -- Fabric, then countertops:
Attached Thumbnails
sunbrella astoria sunset.jpg   Formica Metal Sun 6922.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 E21
Smile

Quote:
Cypher, can I give you a suggestion based on experience in an all molded towable? Stay away from a solid color. Looks fabulous when new, but will show spots and stains more readily than something with a pattern. The upholstery in my Scamp is beige on one side, similar to the one gray with the darker thread (non repeating). It's been a devil to keep spot-free (after all I'm camping!). Fortunately, the other side of the cushions are a chocolate brown.
Donna you got me worried. But I downloaded their spot removal guide and my sweet husband told me not to worry we can get them recovered anytime.

Vella
Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Really like your new choices
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #17

Quote:
LOL Donna,

The cushions normally look like they have stains to my vision though I did not think they were. The other day a friend of mine was by while I was cleaning the trailer and had them out in the sun. She commented the lower cushions appeared stained ( She knows I can't see color well) so I am going to try to steam clean them. I figure grey color bottom and top cushion, change the trim pieces above the windows to same material. I am working up a way to hang curtains on the trim they will be insulated / light blocking maroon / burgundy curtains with grey tie backs. I am considering using the same color as the curtains for either piping or end panels on the cushions. If they are made out of outdoor upholstery material they should be fairly stain resistant and since my kids are old enough @ 19 and 21 to understand I will kill them if they mess up (The Escape Vehicle) as they refer to it. :}

Cypher

Nothing is set in stone I have a friend of mine who is a Professional Digital Photographer so once I get some other things done. I will have her or her husband who is a pretty good photographer in his own right tell me if the colors I have sent go well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baref...10293172327826

http://www.barefootpaula.com/mp_includes/body.asp
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
Site Team

We received the fabric and Formica samples yesterday. After seeing the real thing, we went with the Sunbrella "Astoria Sunset" fabric and Formica "Metal Sun" laminate. They look super together, and we think they'll make the trailer 'pop'.

OK, one less thing on the checklist....
Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
I know this is an old thread, but I thought some feedback from some of you would be helpful. Has anyone re-ordered upholstery (& cushions) from Escape? If not, is it because you just wanted a change? Or they were too pricey? Or did the original fabric not hold up well? I noticed one person said that the fabric "looked stained" even though she didn't think it was.
Or if you did re-order the same fabric, have you been pleased? Did it look better than the original?
Just trying to decide the wisest course of action here. Thanks for your input.
E-pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
love it!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote