Factory Visit coming up! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: not yet
Factory Visit coming up!

So, we're headed to the factory on July 18th, Thursday. Set it up with Tammy a while back, I think we're getting the whole tour. Excited!

I've been trying to re-read the 5.0 vs. 19 threads. Of course, I remember sort of reading some that now I can't find, that had concepts that I'd like to re-visit. I imagine I'll get enough of an idea seeing what the factory has to show.

Any thoughts, ideas, things to look at, questions to ask? I've been following some of the build threads and WOW what a lot of info. This forum rocks!

Crossing border at Sumas. Hopefully that isn't too backed up.

Believe it or not, DW is actually favoring the idea of the 5.0. I told her it was easier to drive, based on input from a buddy of mine that has driven RV's of some sort his entire adult life. The separate sleeping space that is always set up is a big plus, but the 19 can have that, too. Losing most of the truck bed is a bit of a negative, but I figure a low box in front of the hitch might recover just enough.

So, any thoughts?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I've never driven a fifth-wheel, and I'm sure they're probably easier for backing into tight spaces, but honestly, our new 19 with the Andersen hitch tows like a dream. The four wheel setup probably contributes to that. My wife drove part of the way back from California with no problem.....she never liked towing our Casita as it wanted to wander around a little back there. We had a mattress cover made for our 19, so the bed looks good with our bedding rolled up during the day. Also, my wife is having all kinds of back troubles, so a two-story camper is not in the cards for us. Both are excellent choices, but I don't think I would choose based solely on other's experiences in towing non-Escape trailers.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think your visit will tell you what works best for you. They are both great trailers, and everyone has different needs that dictate what would work best for them.

I have never met a campsite I could not get my 19 into with no trouble, and it tows really nice. I have only recently added the Andersen WDH which has smoothed out the ride even more. My wife never towed at all before, but will gladly do so now.

Have yourself lots of fun shopping, now!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Being able to have a shell on the pickup is a big plus. Been following the threads regarding the 19 and how well it tows. Something to keep in mind. Also going over all the "I don't use...so I wouldn't get it next time". Like for me, a dual burner is plenty, stuff like that.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Need to consider the cost of any upgrade and the potential return. I've got the three burner stove. May have used all three burners once, but it's probably worth it for resale. Same with the stove cover, although using a cutting board as a cover may be more useful.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: none
We went thru Sumas to pick up our Escape last Sunday at about 4pm...had about a 45 minute wait in creeping traffic. At the same time, we could see that the traffic headed from Canada back the the US was backed up for a Looooong way and there were bottlenecks on Route 1 headed toward the US.

On the way back to the US on Monday at about 11:30am there was only a 10 minute wait and then 15minutes to process the trailer paperwork.
There is a website with wait times and cameras...just google Sumas border crossing...I think it was ezborder something.
Have fun!
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the heads up on the border-cam site. I think mid weekend day is what our plan is, for both crossings. Heading back will be from Vancouver, I think.

As far as "buying with resale in mind", that's always a consideration. But having owned a home and done things while being mindful of resale...and later realizing that if someone wants it, they are going to change out whatever they don't like anyway... I guess my point is Escapes are in pretty high demand. Who knows, maybe whatever we like someone else would like too. But I'll keep it mind.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Although the new 21' has plenty of counter space, I'm still going with the the dual burner stove, because I'll never use 3 burners in a camper at once. In the 19, counter space is at a premium and the difference between the two stoves means a coffee maker being used and fitting between the sink and the stove with the 2 burner, not with the 3 burner. I used the coffee maker everyday, the stove half as often!!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #9

How much counter will you gain with the two-burner?
Probably is all you need, but I don't know that it results in that much more usable space.
What I do know is that the 21 has counter space. Apparently Reace wanted to go with a double sink, and Tammy held out for more counter space. It does have counter space.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #10

I believe the difference is less than 1/2 foot, maybe 5", but having that coffee maker there was like having a jig saw piece that did not want to fit!! And I tried 3 different coffee makers!! Of course if you use the stove top coffee then you have no issue, but I have a basement area full of 3-4 coffee makers that used to be in the kitchen but for some reason a replacement was purchased. Anywhere from 4 cup to a 8 cup size.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Thirty+ years ago when I bought my house, it came with a Jenn Air range with only two burners (plus grill). I didn't think that would be enough so I promptly went out and bought a plug-in burner just in case. I used it twice in those years, both times for holiday meals. I'd put the money elsewhere.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #12

And if I recall, the stock 2 burner is white, but the 3 burner is stainless and if you want a 2 burner stainless, it costs more than the 3 burner stainless stove top. I'm sticking with the white, the ss showed scratches to easy, I can always repaint the white. But the sink is going to be stainless because the stock sink is plastic, I think.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #13

I'm not concerned with the price ( I'm not in the market ). I just don't think there is huge difference between the footprint of the two burner and the three burner. And, having been in the 21, there is significantly more counter space, even with a 3-burner.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But the sink is going to be stainless because the stock sink is plastic, I think.
Yup, and Tammy prefers the plastic over stainless because stains clean up easily with an application of Vim cleaner. Worked for me.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #15

And, having been in the 21, there is significantly more counter space, even with a 3-burner.
I agree Glenn, but the OP was referring to the 19 or 5th model, which does not have that much counter space as the newer 21, thus every bit saved is nice to have.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We have had mostly stainless in our various trailers and now have the white sink and cook top . The white cook top is easier to clean and the ceramic is very durable . The white plastic sink is probably not as durable as stainless , so a little more care ( not much ) is likely needed . What I would ask for if we were ordering know is that the strainer/drain be stainless even in the white sink because that yellows a bit .
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #17

Stainless drain...got it. Great idea. Not a big fan of stainless overall, but that sounds like a good use.

Getting ready to start the trek from Seattle. I'm prepared to be overwhelmed with new info/choices/ideas. At least I feel a bit prepared after having been reading up on this forum.