Finalizing build sheet for Jan 25...hoping we will go forward! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
-

-hitch lock (included in starter) $15
-hitch wheel $35

[COLOR=red]Get a wheel boot instead. Much more secure.
Did you mean to say get a wheel boot instead of a hitch lock? If so, should I get a hitch wheel in addition to a boot?
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I cannot move my 17' trailer by hand with the hitch wheel attached, unless the trailer is on the smooth, flat surface of my carport, and I have a single axle.
Trying to shift a tandem axle trailer on any surface will be next to impossible because the tires will scrub as you attempt to turn.
If you need to shift the position of the trailer, it's a lot easier to hitch up than to bust a gut and then hitch up because you've made no progress.
I have the hitch lock, but its primary use is to ensure the hitch is locked on the ball when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch lock.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #23

Ah got it. I have zero hitch knowledge and this helps. Yeah I don't see moving the camper by hand! With no wheel, does it rest on a stand or is there nothing underneath?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Regarding wall strength: if one were to fall over onto a wall, would it break? He's not bashing walls with a golf club, but we have many a football tackle in bed here, and I foresee many more on bad weather camping days.
The walls are thin, I imaging hit right, or wrong, one may put a crack in the paneling. It's only something like 1/8" or 3/16" thick. The reinforcement likely would prevent this although as far as I know I've yet to read about walls being broken.

I think I mentioned before that only some walls available for reinforcing, you'll need to check with ETI on it.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Another idea...I hope I'm not overwhelming you. Your planning is bringing back sweet memories of the '83 toyota chinook purchased when my son (now 36) was not yet 2 and all the adventures we had in that rig.

When I had my first very small (8'5" long) Aframe I used this in the aisle for my 2nd granddaughter. It folds up super easy, like a portacrib with just the floor, to about the size of a beach chair in a bag. With a small thermarest pad or even a folded blanket underneath the sleeping bag (it needs a little padding and insulation from the air underneath), you could put this in the aisle and greatly simplify his sleeping space while he's little--all of it would store under a dinette bench easily. https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Portab...=baby-products

Another option, maybe even easier, would be to make a simple bedrail out of pvc pipe and joiners that would slide under the cushion on one of the benches to keep him from rolling out, and just use the bench for his bed. It would disassemble pretty easily and the pieces go in a bench. the backrest cushion could just sit on the other bench for the night. (on edit: this could store against the wall behind the backrest/bench seat cushions fully assembled. even easier!) Like this https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-23...FURkfgodkmAAew

Either of these is much easier than wrestling with a table etc pm/am when he only needs a small space to sleep.

I hope you keep us posted on your adventures. I love that you are just going for it! You will learn along the way. Have fun!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #26

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
How is the two burner oriented? Should I ask to have it put front to back?

Regarding the Maxxfan upgrade: are there no controls on the unit if you get the remote model? I seem to recall people enjoying the upgrade, but I can't remember why, so I'll check into it again.

How far down does the wall reinforcement go?

Maybe debate is the wrong word for the front window. There have been some problems with it being non-thermal, and I think also some problems with water entry due to headwinds creeping around the edges of the cover?

How much time/effort does it take to winterize? I would rather go the route of the handy gentleman on here who installed sheet insulation and pipe insulation rather than the foam. That's just not going to happen though due to time restraints, so we'll likely go with foam and hope we're happy with that choice. Do most people end up satisfied with the foam, or is it so much of a pain to access anything that it's a regret?
On the 21 it is oriented normally. On the 17 it is oriented sideways. I'm not sure which I would prefer on the 21, but given there is more counter space in a 21, I would probably keep it the way it is. I'd take the advice of a 21 owner on this.

Maxfan upgrade gets you a remote and a more translucent cover. You can get the translucent cover by itself aftermarket. I think the wireless receiver takes a bit more power on the upgraded version. If you want the remote then get it, but I just personally don't see the point. There are happy remote owners though, so YMMV.

Reinforcements go from the ceiling until about 18" from the floor. You might be able to request something different.

On the front window, it's non-thermal, however it is covered, so it might be a wash. The aluminum frame is a bit of a bummer though I guess in terms of condensation. I think you could cover it with some sort of foam though. There is a forum post of someone putting reflectix in their front window to make it more insulative in cold weather (when the window is closed).

Escape is definitely not a 4 season trailer. I looked into making it one and I couldn't find a great solution. Having the discharge pipe exposed means you need to have some kind of winterization if it gets cold enough. At 25F you might be able to get by with foam and heating pads, but not much colder, so it gets you an additional couple of degrees. The foam would make the floor warmer though in terms of interior comfort. Adding foam later is pretty easy, so that's one point against getting it initially so that you can try it youself first.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hitch wheel

Quote:
Did you mean to say get a wheel boot instead of a hitch lock? If so, should I get a hitch wheel in addition to a boot?
As stated, the hitch wheel on any of the tandem axle trailers has little utility. I ended up with two of these and gave them both away. I thought I could maneuver the trailer very close to the wall for winter storage in our building but on a dead flat, very smooth concrete floor I could not twist and straighten the trailer. I can move it back a few inches if needed with the wheel on the hitch pipe but it takes a lot of effort. The caster wheel has to flip around to change direction and it is hard to do with 400 lbs tongue weight. We now back the 21 in tight for the winter with Rita spotting the trailer and with all the windows down I’m yelling “ towards the house or towards the Apple trees?” Works good, then we go out for dinner after I apologize.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
my laugh for the day.....
Old 01-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #29

Quote:
I concur with the above that the hitch wheel is mostly useless on a 21. It's barely useful on my single axle 17.

The hitch lock is so easily circumvented. Thieves just tow the trailer away by the safety chains or remove the hitch receiver pin if hitched up. If I'm going to take some precautions against theft, I want it to take more than 30 seconds to circumvent AND I want it to require some kind of specialized hardware. A wheel boot at least requires a loud angle grinder to be run for a minute or so with bright sparks coming out of it, or alternatively replacing the wheel which takes a lot longer. There are also locking nuts that can make this last possiblity harder.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am supposing that people are referring to a coupler lock. Also, some people have wrapped up their chains and locked them in some way so as not to be used.

There is also a coupler latch lock used while towing.

A boot would certainly seem much more secure if someone wants to spend the money and go to the trouble. Everyone has different circumstances. A number of people have bought a boot.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Another option, maybe even easier, would be to make a simple bedrail out of pvc pipe and joiners that would slide under the cushion on one of the benches to keep him from rolling out, and just use the bench for his bed. It would disassemble pretty easily and the pieces go in a bench. the backrest cushion could just sit on the other bench for the night. (on edit: this could store against the wall behind the backrest/bench seat cushions fully assembled. even easier!) Like this https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-23...FURkfgodkmAAew

Either of these is much easier than wrestling with a table etc pm/am when he only needs a small space to sleep.

I hope you keep us posted on your adventures. I love that you are just going for it! You will learn along the way. Have fun!
I never would have thought of this. We have a hand-me-down rail like this that we never used as we put his mattress right on the floor for easy in and out. How big is the biggest seat cushion on the u shaped dinette I wonder? What a great idea!

I'm having palpitations as Jan 25 draws near! We're midway through a partial kitchen remodel, so it's starting to feel like we're just throwing money out there! So great to hear that your son got started so young, and that everyone feels that it's a great gift to children. He loves to see and learn, as kids do, but a trip to the beach has him homesick in tears at bedtime. I'm hoping a "home away from home" will make it easier!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #32

So, no wheel, get a boot. Got it.

Still torn on the front window. I'd love the view, but I'm afraid to gain a whole set of problems for it. Yes I've read of solutions, but I wonder if those buyers would get it again.

The remote does not sell me the Maxxfan upgrade, and if a translucent cover is available aftermarket for a good bit less than the upgrade, then I'd go for aftermarket. Unless, that is, the upgraded fan power was notably beneficial. Isn't it 12V? Couldn't a more powerful fan give more airway on conservative battery power while boondocking?

Any 21' owners weigh in on the stove orientation? I guess I really don't need 3 burners, but it only really saves space if it's oriented front to back, right? Does this look odd?

P.S. seeing an Escape for the first time tomorrow! It's a 5.0 but much better than never having seen one at all!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I don't know about the cushion in the U dinette...but you can easily push the table (it slides right and left) over toward the refrigerator side, move the back cushion from the kitchen side to the refrigerator side, grab his sleeping bag from an overhead cabinet or from bench storage, put the rail in on the kitchen side, and voila! He has a 25 inch wide bed with a rail and on that side, you can more easily see him from your bed. If you want him to be in bed earlier than you guys, you can rig a room darkening curtain on a tension rod across from the frig to above the stove. All of this will take WAY less time than wrestling with a table. And save you putting it up again in the morning. http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...asurements.pdf
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #34

Quote:

The remote does not sell me the Maxxfan upgrade, and if a translucent cover is available aftermarket for a good bit less than the upgrade, then I'd go for aftermarket. Unless, that is, the upgraded fan power was notably beneficial. Isn't it 12V? Couldn't a more powerful fan give more airway on conservative battery power while boondocking?

Any 21' owners weigh in on the stove orientation? I guess I really don't need 3 burners, but it only really saves space if it's oriented front to back, right? Does this look odd?
Escape comes with the 5100K, which is 10 speed, white lid.
Upgrade gets you the 7500K, which has the same spec, but with remote and smoke lid. I'm pretty sure the speed is the same on both. In any case, the default is quite powerful, and I don't think you'd need more power. Options here:

https://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/prod...maxxfan-deluxe

I think the 3 burner is bigger in both length and width. The 2 burner stove in my 17 is turned 90 degrees, which is the default installation. I like it in the 17. The only drawback that I can see is that you don't have quite as good access to the rear burner, but more likely than not you'll have something simmering there anyways if you find yourself using the second burner.

Looking at some build pictures of the newer 17s with turned stoves and 21s might give you an idea of what to expect.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I don't know about the cushion in the U dinette...but you can easily push the table (it slides right and left) over toward the refrigerator side, move the back cushion from the kitchen side to the refrigerator side, grab his sleeping bag from an overhead cabinet or from bench storage, put the rail in on the kitchen side, and voila! He has a 25 inch wide bed with a rail and on that side, you can more easily see him from your bed. If you want him to be in bed earlier than you guys, you can rig a room darkening curtain on a tension rod across from the frig to above the stove. All of this will take WAY less time than wrestling with a table. And save you putting it up again in the morning. http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...asurements.pdf
Well don't you have great ideas! I think we'll get the u shaped dinette just for more seating for playing inside, but I'm going to make a mock table to be sure 34w X 30d is enough for dinner. It sounds small considering dinner plate size.

I love the sleeping plan! We'd intended to get the Springfield with ETI slider, but now there's no rush on that. If we pick it up in Chilliwack I may still have them install it just to save us the effort later.

Thank you for that measurement sheet!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:28 AM   #36

These are the remaining items that I still have the biggest questions about:

1. If the 3 burner stove is bigger than the 2 burner, more so than just an extra burner, it actually has more space, should I go back to 3 burner? I'm big cooker and plan on using a pressure cooker.

2. I think ill likely get the front window. The aesthetics don't bother me enough to eliminate the light, and owners have found easy solutions to the small amount of condensation they get.

3. Should I consider a flip table on fridge side of dinette just for extra table space due to wanting to have family dinner on 34X30"? Is that even possible?

4. Should we go with an exterior access hatch? If so, which side?

5. We will get the exterior shower because of boy and dogs. Should we go with drivers side to get mess out of the way or pass side for outdoor cooking/washing feet off right before entry?

6. The propane quick connect is tough. We would use it for outside cooking on burners and for outside oven if we get one. I'd rather not buy 1lb tanks if this is a solid option.

7. Is there any unused/wasted cabinet space that I need to add a door/drawer to? (Already have extra underbed door on list.)

8. I think I'll go for the Maxxfan upgrade due to being more light in the smoke lens. Did I get that right that's it's more natural light with the upgrade?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I switched my first MaxxFan to the smoke lens, for the additional natural light, cost me close to $100 in my first Escape, the option is well worth it as the remote can be mounted anywhere and you can put it near the bed so you can control without getting up.
Too bad they do not make a thermal cover, I have one for a Fantastic Fan which I never got around to installing, the idea intrigues me as I feel a lot of heat and cold comes in thru the single vent cover. So FF has a thermal option but Maxxfan is great in the rain, trade off?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
SouthernCamper – We picked up our new 21 last month and of course had some of the same questions when we finished up our build sheet in Aug.

1 – We had a 3-burner in our 19 and went for another 3-burner in the 21 primarily for the stove surface space.
2 – We really like the optional front window on our 21, more light!
3 - We have flip-up tables on both sides of the dinette (2- Counter Extension ($85/each) P/S and D/S in dinette area). They are very nice to have.
4 – The rear drivers side hatch is great to allow storage of hoses, power cables, etc. We also got a hatch on the passenger side. I am not sure how much we will use it.
5 – We got the external shower on the passenger side so we can do dishes outside under the awning.
6 – We use our propane disconnect for our BBW grill. Generally our propane fire pit is too far away so we carry a bottle for it.
7- My impression thus far is this: The 21 has almost too much interior storage and I suspect our biggest issue will be learning where everything is! We did get 2 shelves installed in the closet.
8 – The remote with the Maxxfan is pretty cool but of course not really needed. Our fan has this but the fan also works manually. I don’t know if I would order this upgrade again but it’s nice thus far.

Also – do get the front storage box. I can’t imagine our 19 or our new 21 without one.

Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
SouthernCamper – We picked up our new 21 last month and of course had some of the same questions when we finished up our build sheet in Aug.

1 – We had a 3-burner in our 19 and went for another 3-burner in the 21 primarily for the stove surface space.

5 – We got the external shower on the passenger side so we can do dishes outside under the awning.

8 – The remote with the Maxxfan is pretty cool but of course not really needed. Our fan has this but the fan also works manually. I don’t know if I would order this upgrade again but it’s nice thus far.

Also – do get the front storage box. I can’t imagine our 19 or our new 21 without one.

Enjoy.
1- personal preference on 2 vs 3 burner stove and balancing with counter space. We removed a stock 2 burner Atwood and put in a 2 burner Dickinson and love it

5- personal preference again. Many like the exterior shower on the passenger side for dishes. We like it on the drivers side for actual showering/misc use and like to keep the water/mess on that side of the trailer. Ideal would be one on each side but i’m not sure if ETI does this

8-i replaced our MaxxFan with one with a smoke cover and love it. With 10 speeds and reversible function these fans are incredible and more airflow than you should ever need (be sure to open windows because it otherwise puts the trailer under a negative). Don’t have the remote and don’t see the need for it. The only reasons for the remote i’ve really heard are if you are particularly short or are getting the 5.0TA that has a roof sloping up so the fan is higher (but even then I think you can leverage the steps into the loft?)

Regarding the front storage box I would get it. Our older trailer didn’t have one and I tried to get one but being far from ETI it was cost prohibitive. It worked out because I have a mini-split condenser there now, but we still did a Stowaway box on the rear hitch to get exterior storage and love it

I’m not sure why but those in favor of the high lift rarely mention that a big plus is that it puts the sewer connection higher. I don’t know about others but I’ve had several occasions when dumping that I would have loved a few more inches of height
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post

2 – We really like the optional front window on our 21, more light!
3 - We have flip-up tables on both sides of the dinette (2- Counter Extension ($85/each) P/S and D/S in dinette area). They are very nice to have.
4 – The rear drivers side hatch is great to allow storage of hoses, power cables, etc. We also got a hatch on the passenger side. I am not sure how much we will use it.
6 – We use our propane disconnect for our BBW grill. Generally our propane fire pit is too far away so we carry a bottle for it.
7- My impression thus far is this: The 21 has almost too much interior storage and I suspect our biggest issue will be learning where everything is! We did get 2 shelves installed in the closet.

Enjoy.
1. I think we'll go with 3 burners so we have the distance from the edge of the counter as burn insurance. We'll be able to use the back two burners and the safety is priceless.

2. Getting it!

3. May get one table. What do you use yours for? Do you have the stock dinette or u shaped?

5. We'll likely put the shower on the driver's side so we don't have to police mud creation. My one concern is that we'll wish we had a foot washing station close to the door.

8. Going with the Maxxfan upgrade.

The 5.0 we viewed today had a custom sink that looked about perfect size, and I have a hard time imagining a smaller sink. Does anyone have the dimensions of the stock sink? Are you happy with it? Are you a big cooker?

Also, does anyone with the 21' feel the need for the kitchen counter extension? The 5.0 had one today, but the kitchen counter is 11" shorter than the 21'.

They also had a Wi-Fi and a cellphone booster. As my husband hopes to travel and work, maybe we should consider sending those in to be installed as well?