Finalizing our new 21' this week - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' owners
Finalizing our new 21' this week

Our build sheet was originally due Feb 8, but last week Escape asked if we wanted to move up our completion date (only by 6 days but, hey that's one more weekend). That also meant we need to finalize the build sheet right away. After much reading of various threads on here over the past several months and talking with some of our friends with trailers, here is what we have for options.

3 Burner stove upgrade with Stove cover (black) -no
2 or 3 Burner Stainless Steel Stove & Range hood with Stove Cover -no
Oven with 3 Burner Cooktop (Includes Bi-Fold Stove cover ) -Y
Microwave (Built into Cabinet) -no
Microwave installed under stove -no
2 - Way Hot Water Tank (Has two power sources, Propane or 120V) -Y
Foot Flush Toilet -Y
Winterizing T Valve -Y
Exterior Shower (Driver or Passenger side) -Y
Dual 6V Batteries (225 amp hrs ) -Y
Inverter 1500W Includes 1 additional 120V outlet * This Option will require Dual 6V Batteries -no
Inverter 1500W -Includes Transfer Switch and all outlets * This Option will require Dual 6V Batteries -no
160W Solar Panel with Charge Controller -Y
Prewire for Solar with Roofmount MC4 connector -no
Surge Protector -Y
Removable Power Cord -Y

LED Awning Light Strip -Y
Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU) -no
Maxxfan Upgrade 7500K (with remote) Smoke grey -Y
Wireless Back - Up Camera Display Monitor wired with 12V Plug -no
Stereo/DVD Player with Four Speakers -no
TV /Cable Ready with 120V Outlet -Y
Jack TV Antenna (Includes TV Ready with 120V) -no
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (Includes Opening Rear Window, Frt. Window with Rock Shield Non-Thermal) -Y
Opening Window in Bathroom (Frame-less Thermal) -Y
NON-Thermal -Opening window in Bathroom -no
NON-Thermal - Additional Front Window with Rock Shield -no
Aluminum Rim Package (Includes 5 Tires and Rims) -no
High Lift Axle -no
Power Tongue Jack (Front of Trailer) -no
Additional Exterior Hatch (Rear Driver Side) -Y
Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (Low Pressure Connection)- -Y
2 - 12V Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation -no
Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer -no
Additional Cabinet Door under Bed beside Bathroom Door -Y
Storage Box (Front of Trailer) -Y
Convert Bench Seat to U Shaped Dinette (Fabric Measurement 8m or 8.8yds. -no

Delete Rangehood -no
Exterior 12V Outlet -Y - pass side above wheels
12 Volt Interior Outlet ($50.00 each) -no
Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet -Y -1 in dinette, pass side
Additional Exterior LED light ($75 each) -no
LED Captains Reading Lamps ($40/each) -Y -1 in dinette, driver side
Install Customer supplied Solar Port (Install only) -Y Zamp – pass side rear
Additional Counter Extension ($85/each) -Y -next to sink
Shelves in Wardrobe Closet ($75/each) -no
Custom Flooring (13'l x 12'w) Customer to Supply -no
Custom Formica (Additional $100 for finish other than -58) -Y -Marine Blue, 914, -58
Custom Fabric (Single Fabric $100, Additional Fabrics $50/each) -Y
Full Wrap on Cushions with Custom Fabric -no
Full Wrap on Cushions -no
Graphic Colour -Blue

Equalizer Hitch -Y
Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar -no
E2 by FastWay -Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch -no
Extendable Wall Mount TV Arm (For 15" - 22" TVs) -no
Starter Kit ( Starter kit with Tandem Chocks (Includes: 4 Rolls RV Toilet Tissue, 1 ltr Toilet Chemical, 10 prs of Lg Latex Gloves, 25’ Water Hose, City Water Pressure Regulator, 2 Tandem Chocks, Propane Tanks Purged & Filled, Hitch Lock) -Y

Replace standard 3-way fridge with 12V only fridge from Dometic.
Escape have agreed to do this, requires slight modifications to the fridge cabinet space. I have done some calculations and we should be able to go a couple of days on batteries alone, even without any solar charging. If we get reasonable sunlight and use a portable panel to supplement the rooftop one, we should be able to keep the batteries charged. If we are someplace where it is really hot and the fridge is having to be on duty-cycle all the time, we may need electric hookups or a generator. We will plan accordingly.

We are long-time campers, with tent trailers for the past 15 years, but as we near retirement we wanted something a bit bigger and with a few more amenities.

Cheers.
PaulandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm curious about why you are going with a 12V only fridge. Why not propane?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I too fail to see the logic in going with a 12V only fridge.
You have propane for the stove, water heater and furnace. Why remove that option for the fridge?
Two or three nights in the shoulder season ( here in BC ) with the furnace running will tax the batteries, never mind having to feed a fridge too.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Using a chest type 12 volt fridge you might get by as the top opens. Using a standard style 12 volt fridge where all the cold air inside dumps to the floor every time you open the door is a real tax on the batteries.
It will also affect the resale as someone will have pay well over $1,000 to replace it...I would think $2,000 if you have someone do it.
The only thing I need in a trailer is a propane fridge and some battery power for led lights...everything else is a bonus.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Site Team

I'll withhold judgment until we hear from the OP, but again, I'm curious as to why. With propane you have a cheap and efficient fuel source for the fridge, that powers the absorption cycle far better than any other energy source. You're limiting your ability to go without hookups for extended periods unless you have lots of sun. Can't see a reason to do that at the moment. And as mentioned, you will already have propane for the furnace, water heater and cooktop.

The DC only fridge is of course a compressor fridge, not absorption. So, the one benefit I do see is faster and much better cooling, especially when it's hot out. With the Americana fridges now being used in Escapes however, most of the fridge cooling issues they had with the 8 series are gone.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Get the fridge with propane. It's most efficient running on propane, by far. Unless of course, we're talking about a 12v compressor fridge. I'd love to have one of those.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Get the fridge with propane. It's most efficient running on propane, by far. Unless of course, we're talking about a 12v compressor fridge. I'd love to have one of those.
Yes, I'm assuming we are talking about a compressor fridge. I don't think Dometic makes a 12V only absorption model. When it comes to absorption RV fridges, propane is by far the best way to run them.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, I'm assuming we are talking about a compressor fridge. I don't think Dometic makes a 12V only absorption model.
They make an electric-only absorption refrigerator, but for use in rooms where quiet operation is desired (e.g. hotel rooms), but not 12-volt... and not for RVs. I agree, there's likely no 12V-only absorption unit; there would be little market for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' owners
Sorry, I should have specified. It is indeed a 12v compressor fridge, made by Dometic, model DMC2642. Very similar to ones they have been selling in Europe and Australia. It will also run on 120v of course. The power consumption at 32C is rated at 3.1 Ah/h, so just over 74 Ah per day, less if the weather is cooler.
PaulandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulandJanet View Post
Sorry, I should have specified. It is indeed a 12v compressor fridge, made by Dometic, model DMC2642. Very similar to ones they have been selling in Europe and Australia. It will also run on 120v of course. The power consumption at 32C is rated at 3.1 Ah/h, so just over 74 Ah per day, less if the weather is cooler.
Sweet! I debated that, but gave up...Nice!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Paul,
Nice looking build sheet. Regarding the 12V compressor fridge it sounds like you have done your research. The guys I've seen install them have typically beefed up there battery banks and charging systems. If you haven't seen these threads there is a lot of great information...

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f21/bc-made-12-volt-compressor-fridges-11588.html

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/nova-kool-rfu-8320-refrigerator-installation-4741.html

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f37/for-sale-2016-21ft-one-of-a-kind-new-condition-anaheim-ca-28-500-usd-11222.html
(yes, this is a for sale thread, but Santiago describes his 12V compressor fridge and charging system install in detail)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Paul,
Nice looking build sheet.
I agree. It appears well thought out.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Replace standard 3-way fridge with 12V only fridge from Dometic.
Escape have agreed to do this, requires slight modifications to the fridge cabinet space. I have done some calculations and we should be able to go a couple of days on batteries alone, even without any solar charging. If we get reasonable sunlight and use a portable panel to supplement the rooftop one, we should be able to keep the batteries charged. If we are someplace where it is really hot and the fridge is having to be on duty-cycle all the time, we may need electric hookups or a generator. We will plan accordingly.
Cheers.
If your intent is to camp with hook ups or places you can use you generator anytime night and day then your setup will work great! however if you plan on doing any kind of boon docking, national parks and monuments and many state parks your setup is woefully inadequate and will require major upgrades to your tow vehicles charge system and your trailers solar system, charge system and battery bank capacity including all related components and wiring.

This is based off my personal experience with a trailer build similar to your build and countless hours spent tracking amps in and out under real world conditions.

One last comment, the new frigs work great on propane, and are 110v and 12 v capable. good luck on your new trailer and happy camping.
Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote