Flush Mount Oven - has anyone tried it? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Flush Mount Oven - has anyone tried it?

There's an option for a flush-mount oven in the 19 that I'm putting together. It looks nice - stovetop is flat with the counter, has three burners, and it looks like mostly stainless finish. Interior size looks about the same as the normal oven. It's the same price $480 as the other oven. Can anyone please tell me if they have it and like it, or don't like it? I don't know what brand it is. Maybe they brought it in after the trouble with Dometic?

Of course, it will be a long time before they ask me for my choices having just ordered the 19 this week. So by then there might even be different models.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Had an oven in my 2nd Escape, never used it, never ordered another one in next two.. Almost all cooking is outside or if too cold using a crock pot inside, but no oven.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I had my escape 21 for one week in the back yard. Already made biscuits for breakfast, and blueberry muffins. Love it. Heading out in 3 weeks. Will be using it considerably.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
There's an option for a flush-mount oven in the 19 that I'm putting together. It looks nice - stovetop is flat with the counter, has three burners, and it looks like mostly stainless finish. Interior size looks about the same as the normal oven. It's the same price $480 as the other oven. Can anyone please tell me if they have it and like it, or don't like it? I don't know what brand it is. Maybe they brought it in after the trouble with Dometic?

Of course, it will be a long time before they ask me for my choices having just ordered the 19 this week. So by then there might even be different models.
Have you seen this video? Perhaps this will help.

In the video Karl mentions that the interior height (from bottom rack to ceiling) in the Suburban oven is 4 1/2 in. However, I have 6 in of usable height in my Dometic oven. FYI Happy with ours and used on every trip.

Hope this helps. -Bea
Bea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Have you seen this video? Perhaps this will help.

In the video Karl mentions that the interior height (from bottom rack to ceiling) in the Suburban oven is 4 1/2 in. However, I have 6 in of usable height in my Dometic oven. FYI Happy with ours and used on every trip.

Hope this helps. -Bea
Thank you Bea, that helps a lot! Was trying to find something like this.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:06 PM   #6

Hmm... After watching the video Bea linked, I'm not too impressed with any of them. My favorite appliance to bring from home is the toaster oven, and I was thinking with propane then we could also bake off-grid. But most of our camping is plugged-in and the built-in oven is not much bigger than the toaster oven. I could treat myself to a first-class toaster oven for much less than the $480! And just give up on baking off-grid which is not a big deal with our camping style.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I see what you're saying! You have a good point. Just one thing to consider is the amount of power a toaster oven takes - probably a fair amount. When we have hook-ups, I have to be very careful and limit the number of electrical appliances or gadgets I use at once, especially at smaller older RV places. Very easy to trip the circuit, when the hot water heater, refrigerator, space heater, etc are on at the same time. Don't ask me how I know! So I prefer to have a built-in propane oven so I can use it, anytime, wherever we are and no worry about having or losing power.... but that's just me!

Here's another thread you might find interesting:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post376835

I've seen these Camp Chef stoves w/ovens at our CA Costco's, too. So fun! -Bea
Bea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
I had my escape 21 for one week in the back yard. Already made biscuits for breakfast, and blueberry muffins. Love it. Heading out in 3 weeks. Will be using it considerably.
That sounds so nice. Do you have the flush-mount one? Do you happen to know how tall of a pan can fit on its rack? If you baked muffins it must not be too tiny.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I see what you're saying! You have a good point. Just one thing to consider is the amount of power a toaster oven takes - probably a fair amount. When we have hook-ups, I have to be very careful and limit the number of electrical appliances or gadgets I use at once, especially at smaller older RV places. Very easy to trip the circuit, when the hot water heater, refrigerator, space heater, etc are on at the same time. Don't ask me how I know! So I prefer to have a built-in propane oven so I can use it, anytime, wherever we are and no worry about having or losing power.... but that's just me!

Here's another thread you might find interesting:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post376835

I've seen these Camp Chef stoves w/ovens at our CA Costco's, too. So fun! -Bea

"Food for thought", LOL. Yes I once tripped the circuit when I was stupidly running space heater and electric kettle on the same circuit. Found out it can handle both on separate sides of the trailer but of course not on the same side. Hmm, oven DOES sound good again now.

Camp Chef is interesting. I don't usually cook outdoors but I'm seeing that a lot of people prefer cooking outdoors. We're vegetarian so it's mostly salads, pasta, beans and rice that I can do on the stovetop when we camp. Would be nice to expand the options.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21C
We chose the new Suburban flush-mount oven and just did our maiden voyage. The oven performed well with baking enchiladas. I'm not sure how the height of the oven compares to the Dometic. When I looked at the video linked above the space seemed to be about the same. Practically speaking, we don't plan to bake anything that tall (no Thanksgiving turkey ). We certainly prefer the look of the flush mount.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
We chose the new Suburban flush-mount oven and just did our maiden voyage. The oven performed well with baking enchiladas. I'm not sure how the height of the oven compares to the Dometic. When I looked at the video linked above the space seemed to be about the same. Practically speaking, we don't plan to bake anything that tall (no Thanksgiving turkey ). We certainly prefer the look of the flush mount.
I’m glad to hear you like the oven. I agree it's nice looking too. The thought of enchiladas while camping sounds so good!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We really like our oven, we've baked some frozen foods in there and a pie, Also used it for warming up things like pizza, egg rolls; any foods that end up soggy in the microwave. I love that its gas and doesn't need hydro and even though its no larger than a toaster oven, it is always out of the way. Should also say that it cooks pretty nicely!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
Practically speaking, we don't plan to bake anything that tall (no Thanksgiving turkey ).
You can even do turkey - but you would need to flatten (spatchcock) it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote