Frameless Windows - sufficient airflow? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Awaiting build of E5.0 TA
Frameless Windows - sufficient airflow?

I've read other threads on the Frameless windows, but my question is: given how little they open, do you feel there is adequate airflow through the trailer? There is nothing better than a cool mountain breeze blowing through on a sunny summer day. I don't want to always rely on a Maxx Fan to pull enough air in through to keep things cool.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of aspects of these windows we like - open windows during a light rain is big plus for us. We're just concerned about airflow...
JRManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I very much like the looks of the awning windows, the smooth operation and the air flow is not that bad. When you order them you also get the rear opening window which you do not with the sliders. However I understand the rear opening awning window can be an option with the sliders.

The awning windows are also a more even/wider opening. An example of this is at the head of the 19 bed both my wife and I experience the same amount of opening above our heads as the window opens full width. With a slider, one person gets the opening and the other person gets a sheet of glass. I guess that may be a bonus if one person is a hot sleeper and the other is always cold. What works for one couple may not for another. This also is not a concern if you are in a 5 or 21.

Same when sitting four people at the table. Two get to sit directly in front of the open windows, the other two are sitting in front of glass.

With the sliders you do still get the escape window that you can open in the rain. One or some of the windows on the passenger side could also be open in the rain if the manual awning was partly open.

Personally I would get the sliders next time so there was no interference on the passenger side with the manual awning. Both items I feel are more durable and suit our camping style/pocketbook.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I honestly cannot give you a comparison to sliders cause never had those type but, on the fifth wheel model, we find that if we open the big windows on the dinette and the ones by the bed and skylight above the bed we get a good cross flow and seldom have to turn on the fan.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
For us in Arizona, the awning windows seem great. Turning on the Maxx fan and all the awning windows open moves great amounts of air. We generally live with the Maxx fan going. For us the next step is turn on the A.C., we can barely hear the Maxx fan and it is so efficient. We like our awning windows. Our Casita had sliders and there were so many downsides with them...the track getting full of carpet, the drains not working, the insect screen coming loose, nope we prefer the awning windows.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We find that we get plenty of airflow with the frameless windows. Plus, the escape hatch window on the drivers side of the dinette opens very wide, and the ceiling hatch in the bedroom is really large so flow through ventilation is never a problem.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I'm in Florida and we have the frequent rain showers' so I will order the awning/frameless. The rest of the year will be shut wit AC no matter what windows you have
Old 03-03-2021, 03:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had sliders in all previous hard bodied trailers, and now have awning in my 5.0TA. Lots of good ventilation, have yet to need to crack all windows. Given the choice, I would never go back to sliders.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
You can always shorten the plastic stop that rides between the two arms on the awning window. It will allow the window to open even farther.

We love our awning windows and don't have any problem with sufficient air flow.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRManning View Post
I've read other threads on the Frameless windows, but my question is: given how little they open, do you feel there is adequate airflow through the trailer? There is nothing better than a cool mountain breeze blowing through on a sunny summer day. I don't want to always rely on a Maxx Fan to pull enough air in through to keep things cool.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of aspects of these windows we like - open windows during a light rain is big plus for us. We're just concerned about airflow...

This is something on my build that I went back and forth on. I got the frameless and now am glad I did. however if you want a good breeze you will need the fan or a fan. on a hot night we just put the maxxfan on low and create a breeze on at window over my head. there is advantages and disadvantages of both including what awning you select
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #10

You can never have enough fans...
Attached Thumbnails
296A0159-FB71-4F8B-A72F-C939D499EBDF.jpg   7C0B0837-AC30-412E-9E2C-4B26AF462CC5.jpg  

Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Bug screen?

Is there a bug screen on the awning type windows and does it cover the whole window or?
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clkr View Post
Is there a bug screen on the awning type windows and does it cover the whole window or?
Yes cover the whole window.
Attached Thumbnails
8989933_4.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
You can always shorten the plastic stop that rides between the two arms on the awning window. It will allow the window to open even farther.

We love our awning windows and don't have any problem with sufficient air flow.
I also noticed the plastic stop that keeps the awning windows from opening very far. I removed one of them and now the awning window can open out quite a way.

Any idea why the plastic stop that keeps the awning window from opening very far is in there in the first place?
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love my frameless windows i can leave them open in the rain and i get plenty of air
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:

On my 2017 19 I have the frameless and loved them until I had Escape switch out the electric awning for a manual. On the 19 one of the bedroom area windows is blocked with two still being able to open with the awning against the trailer. With the 21C I have on order there is only one window in the bed area and that would be blocked by the awning arm. I’m going with the framed sliders except for the rear window which will be frameless split opening window. Everyone has their likes and dislikes on both kinds of windows.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I also noticed the plastic stop that keeps the awning windows from opening very far. I removed one of them and now the awning window can open out quite a way.

Any idea why the plastic stop that keeps the awning window from opening very far is in there in the first place?
I always assumed the plastic stop was to keep the window from being tilted out to far and possibly binding when you tried to close it. I really don't know if they are needed.

When I shortened mine, I basically cut them in half. A 12 inch stop was cut down to a six inch stop and reinserted. I also lubricated the track with a silicone grease and I use 303 protectant on the window seals.

Haven't had any trouble over the last two years! (knocking on wood):-)
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #17

Trailer: Awaiting build of E5.0 TA
Wow! Thank you all for your prompt and thorough responses! I think the characteristics you have listed, definitely will have us placing the awning style windows on the build sheet. I love pstyer's idea of "adjusting" the length of the plastic stop to allow additional movement.
The wide porches we have on our home allow us to have the windows open during rain showers - one our favorite design features. These windows will allow a similar experience.
JRManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I think it is only there to keep the windows close to the trailer so someone does not run into them.

The arms can go out straight as they do in the kitchen and bathroom and still work properly however cutting them in half is a happy medium still allowing a reasonably wide support on the bottom.

Here is a video on how to do it. https://youtu.be/c81VoVN80Yw

Old 03-04-2021, 12:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:

we used to own a 21' with frameless windows

*yes* there was a ton of airflow. plenty

plus you can leave them somewhat open when inside, all night.... with zero worries that rain will come in. very handy. can't do that with sliders!

recommended. just my 2c.

J.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
If a trailer had a frameless window that's blocked by a manual awning, will that window open at least a crack to let in some air (like with the fan running)? Or is it completely prevented from opening? Anyone know?

I'm starting to lean more toward frameless on a 17B, but another $950 for a power awning isn't appealing to me. Of course they might be willing to do a framed window just in that spot.