Fridge and Stove Options vs. Storage (Escape 19) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Fridge and Stove Options vs. Storage (Escape 19)

I have some questions about these two options on the Escape 19.

I see with the standard 5 cu. ft. fridge, there is a cabinet above (or, microwave I suppose, but I don't want a microwave) and then a drawer below. If one specs the 6 cu. ft. fridge, do you just lose the cabinet above?

For the 3 burner / oven it looks like it would delete the two drawers immediately below, as well as a little bit of the undersink cabinet space. Does anyone have an creative ideas for where else those drawers could be located in the cabinet? Not having any drawers would seem a big enough drawback to skip the oven idea, but I'd love to hear from forum members.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I have some questions about these two options on the Escape 19.

I see with the standard 5 cu. ft. fridge, there is a cabinet above (or, microwave I suppose, but I don't want a microwave) and then a drawer below. If one specs the 6 cu. ft. fridge, do you just lose the cabinet above?

For the 3 burner / oven it looks like it would delete the two drawers immediately below, as well as a little bit of the undersink cabinet space. Does anyone have an creative ideas for where else those drawers could be located in the cabinet? Not having any drawers would seem a big enough drawback to skip the oven idea, but I'd love to hear from forum members.
With the larger fridge you just lose the space above. Underneath will still be a cabinet (impacted by wheel well) not a drawer. You can get a storage cabinet or microwave above the smaller fridge. You should also be able to get a small drawer under the wardrobe. The oven typically deletes the drawers underneath but the ETI brochure shows two drawers to the left of the oven so that appears to be possible now. There are also microwave under cooktop option but you don’t want a microwave.
Attached Thumbnails
F0909365-9A17-4A17-924C-D52FE54069D8.jpeg   EBF8001E-99B6-4D59-87AE-8C03A8F97B75.jpeg   A518594D-BF2B-43AF-9E95-D7A58A5A975B.jpg  
Old 10-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have never run out of storage space in our Escape but we have run out of space in our refrigerator on numerous occasions. . We use our microwave to store bread - baked goods while traveling so that space serves a dual purpose .
We also have the oven and I prefer good homemade meals over carrying more junk that I never use.
YMMV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
The cabinet above the 5 C.F. fridge is a fairly large space if you do not opt for the microwave. We use it for toiletry bags and heavy shampoo bottles as the medicine cabinet in the bath is fairly tiny, then cookbooks, first aid gear, and other bulky things. If you have the oven and drawers next to the oven you loose some significant space for storing "largish" items. We use that space for storing pots, pans, skillets, your basic cooking gear. It is in a clear plastic tub to keep it organized and confined to a smaller footprint.

But absolutely you need the drawer under the wardrobe cabinet and a door at the end of the passenger side dinette.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
the ETI brochure shows two drawers to the left of the oven so that appears to be possible now.
That picture you posted of the brochure is showing the kitchen from a 21C or 5.0. Longer kitchen than a 19.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
With only one cupboard on the top row instead of three, there should be plenty of room for two drawers as pictured.

In our 19 that has no oven, standard fridge and a microwave, we find we have plenty of room for camping. If you are going to live in it or be away from any stores for more than two weeks, then you might have to pack smartly.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
That picture you posted of the brochure is showing the kitchen from a 21C or 5.0. Longer kitchen than a 19.
Good catch. It was the from the 19 brochure but just a generic picture apparently to highlight interior finish options. Still sounds like the drawers to the left of the oven might be possible in a 19 based on the response from Upfisk.

On edit: I think these responses are just speculating you can get the drawers next to the oven on the 19. I thought Upfisk was implying they had the drawers. Best to check with ETI.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We didn't opt for the microwave in our 19 (built yesterday) and here are recent pictures of the standard fridge cabinet with door above.
We opted for the drawer under the wardrobe.
The standard fridge will work well for us as we seem to always come back with unused refrigerated food in our smaller Scamp fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo37.jpg   Photo34a.jpg   Photo38a.jpg  
Old 10-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Keep in mind that if you keep filling storage spaces, you're adding weight! I have an enormous underbed space in the 21NE that will hold 800 rolls of paper towels, or 1200# of canned goods. So consider what you really need, and whether the tradeoffs are worth it - as mentioned earlier, the fridge space is awfully nice on longer trips.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Radar 1 thanks for the pictures. I am waiting for my 19, expected finish date is Nov. 4. I wanted to get the stove but then changed my build sheet to exclude it because I didn't want to loose the 2 drawers. I did want them to put in a couple of umbra hooks but would like to know what size would be best, especially as you enter the door on the right hand side. Any suggestions?
Letsdothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have never run out of storage space in our Escape but we have run out of space in our refrigerator on numerous occasions. . We use our microwave to store bread - baked goods while traveling so that space serves a dual purpose .
We also have the oven and I prefer good homemade meals over carrying more junk that I never use.
YMMV
Also have always had a oven and would never consider giving it up . We have a drawer under the closet and I made like others another cabinet in wasted space under the heater . We also have the microwave . We sometimes use the microwave and oven for some storage like bread etc. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsdothis View Post
Radar 1 thanks for the pictures. I am waiting for my 19, expected finish date is Nov. 4. I wanted to get the stove but then changed my build sheet to exclude it because I didn't want to loose the 2 drawers. I did want them to put in a couple of umbra hooks but would like to know what size would be best, especially as you enter the door on the right hand side. Any suggestions?
We have two drawers and an oven in our 19'. The two drawers are directly below the pantry cabinet. Works well for us. Don't have a great picture handy but here is one during the build.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06693.JPG  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
We have two drawers and an oven in our 19'. The two drawers are directly below the pantry cabinet. Works well for us. Don't have a great picture handy but here is one during the build.
I think that is the first I've seen that. Nice spot for those drawers at the expense of some wardrobe height.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
I love my oven but I have a 21. You are right, on the 19 I would be hesitant to give up that space. So, you could a) order a 21, or b) get an Omnia Oven. A great way to bake in an RV without an oven!

https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...tove-top-oven/

It's all good, have fun!
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
I love my oven but I have a 21. You are right, on the 19 I would be hesitant to give up that space. So, you could a) order a 21, or b) get an Omnia Oven. A great way to bake in an RV without an oven!

https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...tove-top-oven/

It's all good, have fun!
Kathie
The primary reason for switching from purchasing a 19 to a 21 when I upsized from a 17 was because I wanted an oven & the larger refrigerator. Looking at the amount of storage I would lose with an oven & 6 cu ft refrigerator in a 19, and the lack of counter space convinced me to go with the larger trailer. No regrets...
Old 10-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post

Kathie
Oddly, the bigger draw of the stove upgrade is that it has a much better cooktop. The standard little two-burner locates the knobs in the cooking pan, and I've been led to understand that the use of larger pots can duct enough heat to these to melt them.

So I'm tempted to get an oven, but not so much for the oven itself.

One could use the oven interior to store some cookware too I suppose.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #17

Thanks so much for giving the info about the portable oven. I’m new to the RV life style and so much I need to learn. This is GREAT info for someone who wanted an oven but elected no to have It. I still can bake 😊
Old 10-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Sounds like you might be happy with the Dickinson cooktop some have used.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/t...op-in-cooktop/

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #19

Uthorns, thanks for the info but my 19 is new and will be ready Nov. 4. I don't think I'm ready to put in a new cook top yet.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have the larger fridge and we've boondocked a couple of times for a few days each time. Our fridge was packed both times; we really like having the large freezer because we can freeze meat and veggies and so after 5 days we still have fresh meat when we want. We have the 5ta which may be larger trailer but we had so much empty space in ours for our nearly 3 month long trip it was crazy! I confess that I do use the large area behind the front seats in the F150's cab for all the stuff we don't need daily.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote