Front window on 21? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Maybe they would do a periscope
Like that idea! Oh, Reace, king of customizations, we need periscopes now! Up through the middle of the bath vent would be good!!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriH View Post
Thanks All. My biggest concern is that I do like being able to look out the front. I know it's an individual preference, but I am curious if there is anyone who doesn't have the window and they wished they did?
thanks for the photo.....I do like the clean look and we probably won't go with the cubbies.
Ugh! I'm still not sure.
We don't have the window and if I ordered again still wouldn't get it. If it's light outside, we're probably outside, and if it dark we're inside. There's plenty of light with the three windows over the dinette if you're inside on a rainy day. In most campgrounds the good view is out the back and the front view is the truck and then the road.
Also, the shelf is proving to be useful for books, glasses and remotes

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Susan insists she wishes she had the window, that I talked her into not having it. Forgot we both went in a 21 in Bishop, Ca where a couple from Rossland B.C. had one with the window. So I guess we'd get it next time.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Susan insists she wishes she had the window, that I talked her into not having it. Forgot we both went in a 21 in Bishop, Ca where a couple from Rossland B.C. had one with the window. So I guess we'd get it next time.
You can always put it in this one.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
So now I gotta tell her and then as we're going to the factory next Spring for some fixin's, we may have another option
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thanks All! This is exactly was I was looking for, varied opinions, experiences, etc. We're very clear about all other options. When you've had a couple of trailers you know what you use, need and want, however the window option has thrown me for a loop. As a retired law enforcement person, I like to see what's in front and behind me. I'm leaning toward no window. I suppose I could always get a camera. Ha ha
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My 21 has no front window. If I were buying one today, I'd get the front window.

As a non-sequitur (from me? Why, yes!) has anyone tried sleeping in your 21 with your head at the "foot" of the bed? Over the last couple of weeks of my long trip this year I tried it, mainly out of boredom, and found that I liked it. Reasons why:

- The air circulation is a bit better.
- I found it easier to get in and out of bed, because I could sort of curl up into a ball and roll in/out sideways. It was easier than crawling/scooting along the length of the bed. Trust me.
- I could use the cabinet stand as a nightstand.
- I could keep an eye on the door.

This wouldn't work with a couple, but if you're traveling alone, give it a shot.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
This discussion is one of the many things I love about this forum. There is no right answer but everyone has a reasoned position. We don't have a front window and don't want one. My OCDish tendencies don't like things off center and Hubbby really likes the shelf (and wishes it were just a little deeper so books would fit there more easily). To me it is a cozy sleeping space and not a need to see what's out there space. Have fun deciding what you want!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Front window on 21?

I thought I would really miss a front window on our 21 (we had one in our former trailer), but are happy with our decision to leave it out. In our wet PNW the window would likely add to the condensation. We like the shelf over our head and being able to lean against the soft wall covering. A view would be nice, but the trade offs are significant.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Greetings Jane & Lori,

We were camped next to you 2 years ago at Lake Chelan and in Osoyoos! So excited to hear you are going for the 21! We just got back from a 9,000 mi trip around the US and the 21 was perfect. We love not having the front window. I'm like a few others here and did not like the assymetry. Also we really like the front shelf. We sit up in bed to read and there is pleny of room. We also keep our books, kindles, etc on the shelf. It makes a cozy spot. There is plenty of light, if you want it, coming in the side window. Good luck on your choices, it's all good.
Kathie
Attached Thumbnails
Front.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #31

Hi Kathie and Dave!

Great to "chat" with you! You have a beautiful 21 and we're using the same blue Formica as yours, but a very different fabric. I'll try to post a picture later. Are you coming to the Lake Casita rally?

I see you have a shelf above the bed, does anyone know if the shelf or the shelf with cubbies is now standard? I like the look of the shelf, but less so the cubbies. Can you lean against the wall when you sit up in bed to read? How deep is the shelf? How close to the bed (does anyone have a measurement?)?

Thanks! Jane
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
The shelf is standard if you don't get the window.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:35 AM   #33

We had to have them omit the shelf because, yes, it is standard, and we did not want it. Have seen the cubbies over the bed in person and they are beautiful. No, you cannot sit up in bed with the shelf as there is only about 25" from top of mattress to shelf.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #34

Thanks everyone! Given all of the information, I'm still not interested in the window and am now interested in eliminating the shelf as we like to sit up and read in bed. We'll see what dear spouse thinks...
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We had to have them omit the shelf because, yes, it is standard, and we did not want it. Have seen the cubbies over the bed in person and they are beautiful. No, you cannot sit up in bed with the shelf as there is only about 25" from top of mattress to shelf.
YES we can lean against the wall, sit up in bed and read with the shelf there (ETI would probably put it wherever you wanted it). I'll go measure how deep it is and let you know....Dave thinks it's fine - I would like it an inch or 2 deeper but you don't want to bump into it when you get up. Plus it gives you a place to put your book when you are ready to sleep without having to get out of bed.

We didn't care for the cubbies either including by the front door - we hang our coats there and have our walking sticks there too. However, I tell folks that have dogs that the cubbies by the front door might be a handy spot for pet supplies.

Don't think we'll make Lake Casitas, just got back from a 9,000 mi trip around the US, gonna stay home for a while.

Kathie
Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #36

We are not even close to being able to sit straight up in 25". I notice that you do not say that you are sitting straight up.

But I was going to mention that there are lots of things to replace the shelf. Our 19' had holders attached below the cabinets and Charlie sells some plastic ones through LittleHouseCustoms. We have clear soap holders from Bed, Bath &B that we are using near the bed for glasses. We have not decided yet what else we will put up. There are also Stugvik items from IKEA that are possible but don't know if they hold well.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
Hubby's default reading place is the bed. He's a big guy and has no problem with reading (or sleeping!) in bed with the shelf. He's more of a recliner than a sitter. By the time I'm in bed I'm more of a recliner than sitter, too. I put my iPhone, which is also my clock, along with my water bottle and flashlight on the shelf so that they are handy when ever I need them. We have a 12 volt and 120 outlet on hubby's side so he can keep all his electronic stuff charged. The shelf works great for us.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kands View Post
Hubby's default reading place is the bed. He's a big guy and has no problem with reading (or sleeping!) in bed with the shelf. He's more of a recliner than a sitter. By the time I'm in bed I'm more of a recliner than sitter, too. I put my iPhone, which is also my clock, along with my water bottle and flashlight on the shelf so that they are handy when ever I need them. We have a 12 volt and 120 outlet on hubby's side so he can keep all his electronic stuff charged. The shelf works great for us.
Actually Sylvia's right - we don't sit totally straight up (we are in bed) but pretty close, have 2 pillows and are slightly reclined. Very comfy for reading and a great place to put stuff - great idea to get the extra 12 V there!
Kathie
Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape 21
Great thread!
We are working on our build sheet and this is one of our decisions we are working on. Right now we have cubbies on our list because coming from a 5th wheel, I am concerned about storage. But, more important to me than storage is light and windows. I have 2 main requirements for an RV- a toilet and a back window. So when my husband showed me escape (with the 3 back windows) I was all in!
I didn't realize there were so many other decisions to make! How do I find out more about the Lake Casitas rally? I would like to see more 24 escapes before we need to finalize our build sheet.
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
How do I find out more about the Lake Casitas rally? I would like to see more 24 escapes before we need to finalize our build sheet.
The best place is probably on the CasitaForum, direct link: CA - 2015 Lake Casitas Rally - Casita Travel Trailer Forum
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote