Front window on 21? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Front window on 21?

My spouse and I are finalizing our build sheet and debating about the front window on the 21 (one of us might want it and one of us doesn't). If you have the front window: are you glad you opted for it and why? If you don't have the front window: would you get it if you had it all over to do again and why? Thanks in advance!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had one in my Escape 19 but opted out in BlackJack. One you lose the shelf in the 21 and two I feel it is warmer without the window in the winter as it is not thermal and right over the bed.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21', 'Moondrop'
We added the front window option and are happy with it. It allows for extra natural light into the trailer, and views of the outside, from a different angle. If its cold outside, you can always opt to leave the window rock shield closed.
I would recommend getting it.
txruby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We did not want the window or the shelf. We sit up in bed to read sometimes. The window would be in the way. Other things besides a shelf can be used for items. We didn't want more light from a window in the bedroom area. There is already a window. Depends on what you do and like and want. You may love a window.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
21 front window

Jane and Lori,
Nancy and I like lots of windows, for the view at times, light, and security of being able to look out toward the TV or anything we secure to the tongue. We also had the window on the 19, did you have one there?
Have fun deciding and looking forward.
Jack and Nancy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Jane and Lori,
Nancy and I like lots of windows, for the view at times, light, and security of being able to look out toward the TV or anything we secure to the tongue. We also had the window on the 19, did you have one there?
Have fun deciding and looking forward.
Jack and Nancy
Yes, I have often wanted to be able to look in the direction of the tow and you can't do that without any window on that side. Maybe we should have asked for a bathroom window on that side! Doubt they would have gone for it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Yes, I have often wanted to be able to look in the direction of the tow and you can't do that without any window on that side. Maybe we should have asked for a bathroom window on that side! Doubt they would have gone for it.
How about a couple of portholes similar to those used on ships? They would hold up to weather and if mounted low enough could still accommodate the shelves.

Nah that's a crazy idea. I bet Escape gets all kinds of crazy suggestions.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Maybe they would do a periscope
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
As I use my 17B large dinette as a bed, (and lounge), I have found that a body pillow under the window with another one for my back allows for comfort and no crushing of the shade when sitting next to the window.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
We had front windows on our Scamp and 17B - didn't order it on the 21 and don't miss it.
Functionality aside, the off center position just looks lopsided to me .
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thanks All. My biggest concern is that I do like being able to look out the front. I know it's an individual preference, but I am curious if there is anyone who doesn't have the window and they wished they did?
thanks for the photo.....I do like the clean look and we probably won't go with the cubbies.
Ugh! I'm still not sure.
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our 21 isn't finished yet so I don't have experience with this option but... We decided to add a window over the nightstand to bring more light into that part of the trailer instead of adding a window over the bed. I asked in a separate thread about doing that and got very mixed responses. We didn't have strong feelings either way but decided to get it anyway. So it's another option for you to consider. We chose not to get the window over the bed because of the potential for leaks (so I'm told), losing the shelf, and the odd looking off center appearance.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you want to enjoy the scenery from inside, you need a window. If you just want to look out to - for instance - see if someone is there or check out possible sources of a noise, then a camera on the front connected to your TV or other monitor inside might be a substitute. A camera would provide a far from ideal view, but might be a technical solution depending on your needs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm with Paul, I think it looks strange on the outside. And even stranger on the inside. It's not centered between the exterior wall and the bathroom wall.

Yes, it lets in light (and heat and cold). It doesn't open. It's single pane. Which can be huge during shoulder season because of condensation. We have a member here that recently picked up a 21' (with front window) and the first or second night of ownership woke up in the morning with a damp pillow! Being inside lots of 21s without that front window, IMHO the big side window lets in plenty of light. And you know, you really can't see much out of it, unless you're up on your knees looking out. It's not like a dinette window, truly.

Best of luck in your decision, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We got the window and we like it. We plan to add a padded, fabric covered headboard ASAP (we're still traveling, bringing our 21 home from Chilliwack). We did quickly learn that if it's cold outside, we want the rock shield down for the night; but we also figured out that it need not be fastened shut to keep out the cool (and thus the condensation). Yes, the little shelf, that you get if you don't have the window, would be nice, but we will figure out an alternative.

YMMV, but l would do it again if I were reordering. It brings in the outdoors, much like the wrap around windows did to the bed area of our Casita Liberty... It doesn't bother me that the window isn't centered; in fact a little asymmetry can be a good thing.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #16

We both really liked the window in the 17. Susan being almost OCD with symmetry surprised me when she wanted that little off-center window. Having been in one at the "14 Rally I didnt see the same advantage visually being somewhat in the corner as well as its reduced size.

We didnt get after I asked Tammy to speak with her about the pros & cons. Practicality won out. She still misses it some, but I don't.

Best of luck on that one:
Old 10-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We both really liked the window in the 17. Susan being almost OCD with symmetry surprised me when she wanted that little off-center window. Having been in one at the "14 Rally I didnt see the same advantage visually being somewhat in the corner as well as its reduced size.

We didnt get after I asked Tammy to speak with her about the pros & cons. Practicality won out. She still misses it some, but I don't.

Best of luck on that one:
Could you share what were the pros and cons according to Tammy?
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #18

As I remember, and not in any particular order- it was you already have a large window in that area, you wouldn't get the shelf, and it would be warmer without it.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...We have a member here that recently picked up a 21' (with front window) and the first or second night of ownership woke up in the morning with a damp pillow!
LOL. That would be moi. And it wasn't just damp, it was wet... On the corner, and honestly I wasn't sure if it was from the wall or the window. It was raining the day we picked up: that first night we had condensation all over the trailer. But, after that we started pulling down the cover at night, and didn't have that issue again... So far.

I will say that it's enough of a hassle that I'm glad Skip was at least as interested (if not more so) in having it as I was/am.

Good luck with your decision! It will be fine whichever way you go.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
LOL. Good luck with your decision! It will be fine whichever way you go.
I agree. This is one of those decisions that has trade offs either way. Just make a decision, know you considered it thoughtfully, and be happy with the result
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote