Get Class B (sleeps 3) Travato G, Thoughts? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
My wife and I have gone through the rv decision, including campers (eliminated due to the need for a larger truck), class 5's, (eliminated mostly on cost, about which, more later), and trailers (eventually chosen for a combination of reasons). Anyway, one factor that really discouraged us about the class 5 option is that, if purchased new, the depreciation (in absolute terms, not as a percentage) would be brutal. The initial cost is so high that even a moderate percentage depreciation is still a lot of money. Further, to a much greater extent than with trailers, the value for resale will be affected, eventually dramatically, by mileage on the vehicle. You might want to do the arithmetic on that one before making the leap.

All considered, I concluded that, quite aside from any other advantages of the trailer choice we made, the cost of ownership for the class 5 was not remotely justified by the nature of accommodation provided.

Good luck with your decision, and safe happy travels.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
So, main question here - how big are you?

I'm not exactly skinny. Nor was the woman that looked at our trailer at SolarFest. They were in a brand new camper van (Travato maybe) that they paid a small fortune for. She was not happy with it in terms of using the bathroom. She said it was almost impossible for her to use, especially when she was through with her business. She was envious of our much larger (to her) bathroom. She had not given the bathroom much thought when they purchased it. She does now.

I kind of wonder from time to time if they still own it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
We are now considering a MB Sprinter, 2019 model, the 2019 Sprinter re-design, then taken to Sportsmobile (maybe) in Fresno for a semi-custom interior build.

I only need one kidney, correct?

Have a good look at Mercedes operating costs... they can be substantial. Also, both first-generation and now second-generation Sprinters around here are dissolving of rust, in an area where visible rust is generally seen only on old "beaters": they seem to rust out around every door handle and hinge, at an age at which most vehicles have no visible rust. Mercedes has clearly had a long-running problem with these vehicles in corrosion control. It's too bad, because the Sprinter package (of both body and mechanicals) can be very effective.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
... the class 5 option...
What do you mean by "class 5"? That's a class (by Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of truck, but not a type of RV. Did you mean large Class C motorhomes, built on Class 5 truck chassis... or did you just mean to type "class B"?

John is looking at Class B motorhomes, which are built from vans... typically Class 3 vehicles (up to 14,000 pounds GVWR).
Old 01-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
My apologies for the terminology confusion - I meant the one ton (3500 series) van conversions. We were specifically considering one of the Sprinter conversions, but as I said, the purchase, maintenance, and depreciation costs were too high for us.

Another thing I didn't mention, is that the operating costs of the diesels are now appearing to be so much higher than gasoline units that our original interest in the diesels for fuel efficiency has all but disappeared. I wasn't aware of the rust issues with the Sprinters mentioned earlier here - that would be a serious kick in the backside on top of the other excessive costs.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
I meant the one ton (3500 series) van conversions.
Thanks, that clears it up.
Those are generally Class 3 vehicles, which is the origin of the tendency to use model numbers for pickups and vans starting with "3" (GM and Ram 3500, Ford F-350 and E-350), and "2" for the next step lighter. If not towing, a Class B of moderate length doesn't need to be that heavy, and many of them are built in Mercedes Sprinter 2500 and Ford Transit 250 vans, to avoid the dual rear tires of the 3500/350.