Got My Build Sheet -- Escape 19! HELP! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Trailer: none as of yet
Got My Build Sheet -- Escape 19! HELP!

We are on order for the spring and got our build sheet. At this point, we are at almost $10K in options, pushing the price up alot higher than we had planned.

I read the previous build my 19 foot thread but any further hints on what's needed and what's not?

We will be using it in both RV parks and in campgrounds with no power etc. In campground situations, we won't be there more than a few nights.

We really like the U-shaped dinette option rather than the permanent bed as it seems to provide more space in the unit.

We are opting to go with the oven and larger fridge, no microwave. I figure we need another way to cook food besides on the BBQ all the time! And the oven provides more options than the microwave.

LED lights inside and out & extra LED tail lights
Dual hot water tank
Double 6V batteries
Air conditioning
Outside storage box
Opening window over sink
Bathroom window
additional door under bench
1 more interior 12 volt & exterior 12 volt
captains lights
hitch and equalizer
inverter
extra thermal and windows
tv ready
stove cover
outside shower
quick connect hose
an extra drawer
removal power cord
bike rack ready

I think that's it. Guess I just never did the math, but I must admit, I hadn't anticipated this much extra cost.

Any tips would be most appreciated. thx
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Do you really need the oven when camping? You lose 2 drawers and some counter space. Big $$ option.

Why do you need duel 6 volt if only going to be in campgrounds a few nights. Standard battery will be fine.

Do you need the inverter to run some medical equipment? If not maybe do away with it and use 12 volt for those few nights.

You don't need the stove cover if you are getting the oven. Only if you are getting just the stove.

What will you use 12 outside for?

Think about the u shaped dinette a little before you go that way. Imagine how you will use the camper. Really not any more room and depending how you use it could be less room and a smaller table

Just some things to think about and decided if you really will use them. Other options you choosed are what most people get.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
If it were me (because obviously I can't choose for you!):
-Skip them doing the LED lights for $25ea & order & bring your own for $15ea
-Go to a bigger 12V battery instead of dual 6V (I think there's a group 29 option?)
-Skip the dual hot water tank and use propane even when you have power, it really doesn't use much
-Skip the bathroom window, the bathroom vent on the roof of our trailer works great
-Skip the inverter and use 12V chargers when you're on solar
-Don't bother with the stove cover, just use shelf liner and a cutting board, we do that and it hasn't come off in transit

Again that's just what I'd do, but everyone has their own needs!! Out of curiosity what are you planning on needing the inverter for, since you won't have a microwave and can't run AC off it?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I feel your pain, I'm going through the same thing. So.. this is what I'm doing. ANYTHING that needs to be handled by the manufacturer will be done.. like things that need electric wire, propane or water. Things that can be done later... will. Like those fancy wheels maybe. Or, the removable power cord... and maybe even the LEDs (except the higher tail lights). I've read enough about the outside propane quick connect.. I'm thinking not. I have a 10# propane tank and don't want to need to carry a 25' hose to reach the picnic table... The outside shower, not for me. I don't have a pet and don't do dishes outside.. that's why I own a trailer! If I boondock, I'll carry my portable blue tote (that I made for $20) and it's one less thing to winterize or worry about. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
With four opening windows in each corner plus two roof vents and the sink window so close to the door, you could save a few pennies by opting for a non-opening window over the sink. I did for that reason and for a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Air conditioning Do you need this where you camp? Escape prewires for A/C anyway, and you could add later. This is what we did, and have really only had a half dozen occasions where we would have used it. If you camp away from services a lot, it won't work without a gen set
Outside storage box
A personal thing. Those who have it love it. If I was to buy a 19 again right now, I still would not get it. We just don't need it, and have lots of storage space left over between the car and trailer. Adding kids would make a big difference though.
Opening window over sink
Bathroom window
Not sure of the cost difference, but my personal take is if you have these, there is not a lot of reason to have them opening. The bath has a roof vent, and the trailer has more than enough opening windows, vents and fans.
1 more interior 12 volt & exterior 12 volt
What would you use the exterior 12V for that you could not do inside
hitch and equalizer
Depending what your tow vehicle is, this may not be needed. If you have a 1/2 to pickup or bigger it would not be needed, but can be advantageous in a smaller SUV
inverter
Again a personal thing, but we have nothing to run off one even if we had it. We made a plan to be able to function without any 120V power if needed.
tv ready
We have used ours 2 times in 5 seasons. Likely would not do it again.
outside shower
A good thing if you make use of it. We have use ours only once to date and found it awkward, as the hose is not long enough to wash our dogs feet,
I have just commented on the my thoughts about a couple options that I would consider leaving out. The ones not commented on are ones that I have and am really glad I do.

As far as an oven and microwave go, we don't have them, and don't miss them in the least. We had an oven in one trailer, and used it twice just to try it out. Too much of an ordeal, and they are way tiny too. There are so many dishes that you can do on the stove, or in the BBQ, that would take dozens of lifetimes to try them all out.

The thing to do is, is to get lots of opinions like this, and no two people have all the same ideas as what is best to outfit your trailer with. You have to then decide on what your style will be. For us our trailer is a decadent luxury, even in a somewhat minimal state. We don't feel at a loss for anything we don't have. Retirement might find us redefining a few things (like A/C and storage), but we'll see.

Best of luck with making your decisions, and don't sweat it too much. Getting out camping is what it is all about, and you can enjoy that with the most base of unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Your build list is similar to ours which I summarized in this thread. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...here-2190.html

After our first season with our 19', I have to admit that I would pick almost exactly the same options as we did if I was to do things again.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My occasional regret is that there was no Escape Forum when I ordered so I wasn't aware that there were so many options.
And for all that, as I sat here last night, thinking what I would have done different, I couldn't think of anything.
I went with a 5 cu. ft. two way fridge, a cupboard instead of a microwave and an extra 12v outlet. Added LED bulbs as we went along.
Not having access to this forum saved me a ton of money in options I didn't order and don't really miss, although they might be nice to have.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
I would suggest getting rid of the dual water heater, as mentioned, it does not use much propane, the bathroom window, TV (never use ours, except as a coat rack), and removable power cord, and perhaps the opening sink window. Maybe even the outside shower. Everything else is important. We love our storage box (had it added), and have only used AC twice, but both times we really needed it.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #10

The removal electrical cord keeps the camper sealed up and does not let mice or any other creepy crawlers into the camper. For the price it is a must for us. I added it on the Casita and by the time I was finished it was around $100 doing it myself. I would also recommend the surge protector to protect the trailer electronics. The price Escape sells it for is cheep insurance.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #11

Karen

I do like the view through your window. You do get a much better view. Wise I had put more thought into that but with the new slider bathroom window I guess it will be nice to be able to open it the rain.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

As seen by the responses in this thread, deciding what options one wants or needs in a camper is a very personal decision, and what is considered "essential" will vary tremendously based on a person's individual likes/dislikes and financial circumstances.

Many of the items that others are saying "are not required" or "you can do without" in the above responses, I personally am glad that we purchased, and have no regrets about it. I bought my Escape not only thinking of my current likes and needs, but I also had in mind what I may want or need several years down the road as my family and job circumstances change, and I am closer to retirement.

Choose carefully and enjoy your decisions.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I see you went with the extra insulation and double pane thermal windows. $1000. I did the same. A huge benefit of those windows is little to no condensation even camping in the cool/cold Canadian spring and fall. It didn't make sense to me to turn around and spend even more $'s on single pane opening windows that negate the benefits of the most costly option on your list.

Actually Reese had to point that out to me ;-) then he let me make my mind up. Wise man :-)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
The removal electrical cord keeps the camper sealed up and does not let mice or any other creepy crawlers into the camper. For the price it is a must for us. I added it on the Casita and by the time I was finished it was around $100 doing it myself. I would also recommend the surge protector to protect the trailer electronics. The price Escape sells it for is cheep insurance.
I too converted mine, and am glad I did. For me it was not so much that something could get it, it did seal off fairly well while in use, but the main reason I did not like the "stuff-it" method, was the tangled mess inside. It sometimes would tangle with other stuff in storage, and took up space I was able to make way better use of.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I selected the extra insulation, the LED's, window over the sink, the microwave, an extra 12v outlet, the dual 6 volt batteries, TV ready, and chose my own custom upholstery. Everything else, all standard.

Think getting the microwave and the upholstery could turn out to be our two most extravagant, un-necessary luxuries. Time will tell.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too converted mine, and am glad I did. For me it was not so much that something could get it, it did seal off fairly well while in use, but the main reason I did not like the "stuff-it" method, was the tangled mess inside. It sometimes would tangle with other stuff in storage, and took up space I was able to make way better use of.

That too. I pulled the wires off the water heater controller twice before I said that's enough.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We're going through our build sheet too right now for Spring delivery of our Escape 21 and so many of these comments are really helpful; even after hours of scouring the forums. Thank you all so much for your sage advice and sharing your real world experiences.

Burloak, what you said about the double pane windows makes so much sense, yet I hadn't thought of it before. You've just saved me a bundle. Thanks!

What I'm wrestling most with now are:
1) Spray foam insulation under the trailer: think spring/fall camping in the Alberta Rockies--would it be a big benefit?

2) Power inverter: I'm leaning towards trying to live without it. I think the 12V outlets would be sufficient for our needs. If I go this route, is it easy to add later?

3) Propane quick connect: I'd like to have BOTH a propane Coleman stove as well as our Weber Q120 grill hooked up to this. Is that possible? If they can't be rigged up so that they're both hooked up at the same time, maybe I'll just get a 10 lb tank and hook them both up to that. The extra tank would be a hassle, but there would be greater flexibility in the location of our cooking station.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quick connect.

I like being able to place the BBQ wherever it is convenient and sheltered. I have a 10 lb. tank. Doesn't weigh that much. Doesn't get dirty laying in the mud.
My buddy, Keath, has a quick connect that he's not used. Has a 10 lb. tank.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #19

Bpjod, a couple responses to your questions are shown below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post

What I'm wrestling most with now are:
1) Spray foam insulation under the trailer: think spring/fall camping in the Alberta Rockies--would it be a big benefit? We have the spray foam and double pane windows, and it seems to help keep the Escape cool in hot weather and easy to heat when it is cold. I have also noticed that the trailer is extremely quiet inside, which really helps you to get to sleep at night or to sleep in amidst noisy neighbors.

2) Power inverter: I'm leaning towards trying to live without it. I think the 12V outlets would be sufficient for our needs. If I go this route, is it easy to add later? We do not have an inverter, and in fact, do not even carry any portable 120V devices with us. So far 12V outlets and devices have filled our requirements.

3) Propane quick connect: I'd like to have BOTH a propane Coleman stove as well as our Weber Q120 grill hooked up to this. Is that possible? If they can't be rigged up so that they're both hooked up at the same time, maybe I'll just get a 10 lb tank and hook them both up to that. The extra tank would be a hassle, but there would be greater flexibility in the location of our cooking station. We have the propane quick connect and use it every day when camping for either the gas BBQ (Spitfire grill) or for the firebowl. Works great for both. You may wish to check that your devices are compatible with the low pressure propane service that the quick connect outlets provide.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
1) Spray foam insulation under the trailer: think spring/fall camping in the Alberta Rockies--would it be a big benefit?

2) Power inverter: I'm leaning towards trying to live without it. I think the 12V outlets would be sufficient for our needs. If I go this route, is it easy to add later?

3) Propane quick connect: I'd like to have BOTH a propane Coleman stove as well as our Weber Q120 grill hooked up to this. Is that possible? If they can't be rigged up so that they're both hooked up at the same time, maybe I'll just get a 10 lb tank and hook them both up to that. The extra tank would be a hassle, but there would be greater flexibility in the location of our cooking station.
1) This was not available when I got my trailer, though something to consider for sure. We pretty much camp just from Easter to Thanksgiving, and have never had an issue, just so long as it is above freezing during the day.

2) Mentioned above.

3) We have one, and use it all the time, and find the convenience can't be beat. You have to actually try it to understand. I never mine for the first 3 years, and now kick myself in the butt for not using it sooner. In fact I will either be adding another for a stove, or teeing off the existing hose somehow. For now with the stove, I tap right off the bottles. Works good, though not near as convenient. I have use separate bottles of all sizes, and do no prefer them. The hoses are much easier to store, I never run out of propane, and my costs are way lower. I am looking in to a way to rig up my Coleman stove without the supplied regulator so I can use it too. Again, it works great for me. YMMV