Grandpa & Grandma are asking questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Grandpa & Grandma are asking questions

Now that I have decided to buy an Escape, I have to decide exactly which model, with which options. I have talked myself into every model at one time or another, so now I will let all you good folks talk (OK write), because I’m tired of listening to myself. Here is what is important to know about our preferences:

a) We are 2 slightly old, moderately overweight, moderately agile grandparents, and 2 granddaughters – 8 and 4. The girls are with us 90% of the time, they love it, and we hope both those things hold true for many years.
b) We currently usually camp at State Parks and Forest Service campgrounds. Many campgrounds are not big RV friendly, so smaller is better. Off grid boondocking is appealing, but probably not going to be our normal mode. No hookups though, that is common for us.
c) We camp almost every month of the year, and have spent many cold, wet, and windy days camping. We love to be outdoors, but sometimes sitting inside and playing games is appealing. The same holds true for cooking – outdoors preferable, but not always desirable.
d) I am working full-time, hope to do so until 2026, and have no plans on full-timing. We do plan on taking more extended sightseeing trips. 2 weeks max until retirement, then maybe up to 6 weeks.
e) My tow vehicle is an F150 4x4 crew cab w/2.7L EcoBoost. However, it belongs to my son (I told him we provide the trailer and take the girls, he provides the tow rig that can carry all of us) and my son ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT allow me to put any holes for a 5th wheel mount in the bed. So the 5.0TA is out. Everything other model is on the table.
f) I am a buy and hold type guy, so I hope to keep the trailer for a long while, rather than trade up or down or sideways later. This is a big reason I have decided on an Escape.
Here are my quick thoughts on the different models:

5.0TA – see e), but I wish this was a possibility.

21 – What I first thought I would buy. Likes:
• Best views at our campsites are out the rear. I like the dinette at the rear, see c)
• Largest galley of all the models, see c)
• Don’t have to do a crawl-over to get out of double bed. (I am designated crawl-over person.)
• Largest head (bathroom) of all the models. (3 females in my group.)
• The small bureau at the foot of the bed. Can’t have too much counter and drawer space in a trailer.
Dislikes:
• Dinette is a bit small – 48” fore to aft. As the grandkids get older, it could get cramped for us sitting, and cramped for them sleeping.
• 21’ is at the upper end of what I want to try to fit into many campgrounds. (My tent trailer is 12’ tip to tail, so this would be 9ft itis.)

21NE – Could be swayed this way. Likes:
• Large dinette – with 4 of us, the room sure would be nice on the nasty days, and it makes into a wider bed than the 21 dinette
• Queen width beds. Our tent camper has 54” wide beds, and we do fine, but more width is nice
Dislikes:
• Dinette in front – I prefer the rear. If I could get Escape to swap the bed and dinette, I would probably get that. A front bed doesn’t bother us. A front bed in the 21NE would be easier for a crawl-over because it would have a longer exposed side.
• Smaller galley, head, and wardrobe than the 21
• the rear bed would be a tough crawl-over because of the short open space on the side.
• Long trailer length.

19 – My brother has one, so it’s the only model I’ve seen in person. Likes:
• Shorter and narrower than the 21 and 21NE
Dislikes:
• Shorter and narrower than the 21 and 21NE. Everything I don’t like about the NE applies even more so to the 19, except the overall length and width

17A – OK for just camping, probably not for traveling. Likes:
• Front bed, rear dinette, and both of almost adequate width and length – 52”x76” each, I think
• No head – fewer plumbing problems. (We are used to a PortaPotti)
• Short length
• Significantly fewer $$
Dislikes:
• No head – outside head probably not suitable for WalMart camping
• Really small galley.

17B – Probably what I would’ve bought back in 2012. Not going to consider now, even though you can put in bunks to sleep 4.

OK – now you know what I tell myself. What say you who use them? I’m especially interested in how well 4 person outfits do with each model.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
4 persons, I'd go with the 21. That extra few inches of width and two feet of length doesn't sound like much, but it is. We adore our 19, but we are just two.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Unless you are going to accompany the children, a bathroom is needed with young children, so the "no head" is out. The E21 standard layout with "U" rear or the E21 NE with the front bunk would work. Solar a must for non hookup sites.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
OK – now you know what I tell myself. What say you who use them? I’m especially interested in how well 4 person outfits do with each model.
We were in the same exact boat as you are. Retirement age and often camp with our 7yo and 3yo granddaughters. We had a 17b and although were able to fit everyone in it to sleep, it was really, really tight. For that reason, we decided to sell it and get the 21 standard layout. More room to move around and yet small enough to get into the majority of the campgrounds. We really liked the layout of the 21. Like you we prefer state forest campgrounds, etc. Bathroom and solar is a must. Good luck with the decision, it took us a while, but once we decided, it was a relief.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: shermenator... No holes... bared? IMHO you just eliminated the best G&G and 2 grands unit in the ETI lineup!!! Here we are gramping with the kids along the Rideau canal near Ottawa. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
176.jpg   172.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
sounds like the 21 would fit you best. I went 19 because we wanted the queen bed. but you stated you could get by fine with the 54" bed. Be nice if you could get into and and take a look.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Now that I have decided to buy an Escape, I have to decide exactly which model, with which options. I have talked myself into every model at one time or another, so now I will let all you good folks talk (OK write), because I’m tired of listening to myself. Here is what is important to know about our preferences:

a)We are 2 slightly old, moderately overweight, moderately agile grandparents, and 2 granddaughters – 8 and 4. The girls are with us 90% of the time, they love it, and we hope both those things hold true for many years.
b)We currently usually camp at State Parks and Forest Service campgrounds. Many campgrounds are not big RV friendly, so smaller is better. Off grid boondocking is appealing, but probably not going to be our normal mode. No hookups though, that is common for us.

L EcoBoost. However, it belongs to my son (I told him we provide the trailer and take the girls, he provides the tow rig that can carry all of us) and my son ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT allow me to put any holes for a 5th wheel mount in the bed. So the 5.0TA is out. Everything other model is on the table.
FYI we Love our 5.0 and we appreciate the extra 4' in width, which you would have with the 21.

21 – What I first thought I would buy. Likes:
•Best views at our campsites are out the rear. I like the dinette at the rear, see c)
•Largest galley of all the models, see c)
•Don’t have to do a crawl-over to get out of double bed. (I am designated crawl-over person.)
•Largest head (bathroom) of all the models. (3 females in my group.)

Dislikes:
•Dinette is a bit small – 48” fore to aft. As the grandkids get older, it could get cramped for us sitting, and cramped for them sleeping.
I think the standard table (not the U Shape) would be plenty large for 4 people. Also, the Springfield table mount would make converting the dinette to a bed a breeze.

We have the 5.0 and have had 2 grownups sleep on the dinette, it's not cramped and plenty of room for two adults.

We bought mainly for traveling and I initially wasn't going to get the solar and 2 battery option. Got it and very glad we did, works great.

Getting older has its challenges, don't just buy thinking of your needs today, Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it well into your retirement. Crawling over gets harder as we age. And those grand kids get bigger every year.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Definitely the 21. There is so much more storage -- We have a 19 and I'm sure people do it, but I wouldn't want to have two kids with us. Plus, the crawling over each other thing could get old. There might come a point when that convinces us to get a different trailer.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I definitely suggest the 21. We picked the 19 but our teen boys often sleep in the truck or tent. Consider the 21NE but request a reverse layout, bed in front and large dinette in back. The bed in front will be easier for you to get in and out of.

In this video is a tour of a 19 double dinette at 1:05
Old 05-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: shermenator... No holes... bared? IMHO you just eliminated the best G&G and 2 grands unit in the ETI lineup!!! Here we are gramping with the kids along the Rideau canal near Ottawa. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I hate to say this Alf, but I am going to have to agree with you.

Two very separate sleeping areas. We put up a curtain at the foot of the loft and/or one at the entry to the dinette, and a good degree of modest privacy can be easily attained.

Nice photo of some cute and happy girls.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #11

Thank you all for your input - it is all helpful. I am hoping to be able to travel to Chillawack so I can see the 21 next to a 21NE. I am used to working from 3D and 2D documentation, but Mary is not, and there's nothing like hands-on. Plus, we are both have roots in NW Washington and always look forward to traveling in that direction. (For three years of our life, most of our TV signals came from BC.)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Thank you all for your input - it is all helpful. I am hoping to be able to travel to Chillawack so I can see the 21 next to a 21NE. I am used to working from 3D and 2D documentation, but Mary is not, and there's nothing like hands-on. Plus, we are both have roots in NW Washington and always look forward to traveling in that direction. (For three years of our life, most of our TV signals came from BC.)
I've got a 2014 21 in Hillsboro, OR if you'd like to tour a classic design.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #13

Thank you for the invitation Charlie. Sent you a PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have, on occasion, taken a friend or one of my kids camping with me. When I do, I always put up a curtain at the end of the bed, and another at the end of the dinette. Works great for adding privacy.
I found it has also been useful a time or two of blocking unwanted extra light even when the blind was down.

I also have added a curtain at the doorway for when I don’t want to close the door but may want some extra privacy from outside for a few minutes.

Love my 21.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 21NE
bed curtain? how did you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I hate to say this Alf, but I am going to have to agree with you.

Two very separate sleeping areas. We put up a curtain at the foot of the loft and/or one at the entry to the dinette, and a good degree of modest privacy can be easily attained.

Nice photo of some cute and happy girls.
Hi Jim--newbie having a 21ne built and planning on using it for many months of the year with one of our sons--12. How did you put up a curtain in the loft? We'd like to put a retractable one up by the queen bed and then another in front of the queen dinette when our son is using it as his bed.

TIA!
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
We don't use a curtain by the bed for privacy, but we do have a movie screen for our projector. We hang it across the bed opening with an inexpensive tension rod.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote