High Lift Axle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I guess I should have been clearer when I spoke of clearance. (pun intended) There is foam applied to the water tank and other plumbing fixtures hanging down under the trailer. The axles and frame don't have foam applied to their underside. I worried that the foam would be knocked off the plumbing and tank on the rough roads we take into the mountains, which is why we paid to have the high lift axles installed a year after delivery.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In retrospect I guess you should not have opted for the raised axle, I have never had any issues with debris causing damage and your garage height dilemma would have been easier to fix.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #23

We don't park the trailer indoors, so there isn't a garage door issue. Must be someone else who posted that.
I have no regrets getting the high lift axle. We have seen trailer plumbing at the side of roads we travel, so though people say they travel rough roads there are many definitions of this. There is rough and then there is ROUGH. Washboard roads don't require extra clearance. It's when you are trying to ride high ridges down the road and you encounter dips that cause your hitch to scrape that you get a sense of what rough really is. So I think few Escapers would require the high lift axle.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #24

Sorry, it is in another thread,....similar name- Bobbie54 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...15-a-9836.html
Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We don't park the trailer indoors, so there isn't a garage door issue. Must be someone else who posted that.
I have no regrets getting the high lift axle. We have seen trailer plumbing at the side of roads we travel, so though people say they travel rough roads there are many definitions of this. ......
Doesn't matter really... there will always be people that have issues... whether "tops" or "bottoms." Those of us that follow any of the "all-molded" forums continue to learn and pass along what we've learned...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
As promised, here are a few pics of my 17B with the high lift axle. I also have the foam underspray.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   010.jpg  
Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sorry, it is in another thread,....similar name- Bobbie54 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...15-a-9836.html
Yep, but I don't regret having a raised trailer, I regret having a lowered door, lol. I didn't choose the former- or realize I was going to get a trailer too tall for an 8' door- that seemed like heaven after going through a 7' door for years.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #28

I wonder if the factory installs different stabilizers with the high lift axle option? Particularly in the rear, the standard ones need to have blocks to derive any benefit from them.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if the factory installs different stabilizers with the high lift axle option? Particularly in the rear, the standard ones need to have blocks to derive any benefit from them.
They didn't as of late 2015:
High Lift and Stabilizers (17B)
I wonder if the situation has changed?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Taller w/o lift kit

I want to go taller without a lift kit.
I've ordered the 5.0TA with standard white steel wheels and will change those for an alloy wheel style which I like better than the one offered by ETI.
Do you think it's possible/advisable to go from their 205/70R15 @ 26.3" height to a 215/75R16 @ 28.7" providing the 16" will be the same 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern?
Other advantages are: There's less Rs/Mile so longer bearing life; bigger side wall so 15% more load capacity; I already have a 2 step entry; taller will more easily clear the sidewall of newer trucks; level towing ('fridge operation).
Thanks
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
Do you think it's possible/advisable to go from their 205/70R15 @ 26.3" height to a 215/75R16 @ 28.7" providing the 16" will be the same 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern?
Possible? Likely yes; 16" "trailer" wheels are available in the right bolt pattern, Escapes have used 215 mm wide (and even wider) tires, and there is probably enough room to the body (stick your hand in one and check - you're talking about using 5 mm more width on each side and 1.4" more radius).

Advisable? Sure, the listed advantages make sense. I just don't know if the 1.4" increase in the ride height of the trailer is sufficient to achieve the desired results. The load capacity increase is not needed, and while it is harmless I don't see how it is useful other than to allow operation at a lower inflation pressure.

Quote:
I've ordered the 5.0TA with standard white steel wheels and will change those for an alloy wheel style which I like better than the one offered by ETI.
I've read in this forum that you can entirely omit the stock wheels and tires for a credit (as I recall, $80 per wheel), and bring your preferred wheels and tires to pick up the trailer. Of course this would not likely be available to someone who is having the trailer delivered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #32

On removing the cover from our Escape 21 I had a look at (see photos) and measured the clearance (approximate) at the low points. There are several points where the clearance to the bottom of the foam is around 11 inches and one where it is only 9 inches. If we hadn't had the high lift kit installed these clearances would have been 2 5/8 inches lower. Looking at these points on my trailer, I feel the lift kit was worth it, as it makes me more confident we can travel the truly rough roads we go on without leaving plumbing behind. If you didn't have the foam it might be fine without the lift kit.

Here are a few pics showing the low points on our Escape.

Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
Escape clearance.jpg   By door.jpg   By water heater.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #33

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Other advantages are: There's less Rs/Mile so longer bearing life; bigger side wall so 15% more load capacity; I already have a 2 step entry; taller will more easily clear the sidewall of newer trucks; level towing ('fridge operation).
Thanks
What's the standard distance between the tandem tires? Your plan will also reduce the distance between the tires by 2.4 inches.

I love my Anderson Levelers and plan to use them with my 5.0 when it's ready. I already know I'll have to be cut at least one of them down to work with at the "stock" wheel spacing. With 2.4" less clearance, I suspect they would impossible to use.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Thanks for the pictures Bobbito
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Andersons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
What's the standard distance between the tandem tires? Your plan will also reduce the distance between the tires by 2.4 inches.

I love my Anderson Levelers and plan to use them with my 5.0 when it's ready. I already know I'll have to be cut at least one of them down to work with at the "stock" wheel spacing. With 2.4" less clearance, I suspect they would impossible to use.

Rich
I had an Anderson that was cut down by the previous owner and it worked fine with the Marathons. Then I put on the new Endurance Goodyear’s. The Anderson needed more taken off to work. So I had one of my old Parks foremen cut them both off a little shorter and they work great. I’m back to within 1/2 inch of the first hole and cut at an angle. We used a bandsaw with an oil feed. Worked very slick ( no pun intended) just cleaned up with a rag. No burrs, no nicks, no hits, no errors. With taller sidewalls the tires will be even closer together. I’m not sure the Andersons would still work. One thing you don’t want to have happen is to have anything flip up and get stuck between the tires. I’ve been there and it ain’t fun. Ever run a chainsaw between two tires to cut a log out? Steady.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I had an Anderson that was cut down by the previous owner and it worked fine with the Marathons. Then I put on the new Endurance Goodyear’s. The Anderson needed more taken off to work. So I had one of my old Parks foremen cut them both off a little shorter and they work great. I’m back to within 1/2 inch of the first hole and cut at an angle. We used a bandsaw with an oil feed. Worked very slick ( no pun intended) just cleaned up with a rag. No burrs, no nicks, no hits, no errors. With taller sidewalls the tires will be even closer together. I’m not sure the Andersons would still work. One thing you don’t want to have happen is to have anything flip up and get stuck between the tires. I’ve been there and it ain’t fun. Ever run a chainsaw between two tires to cut a log out? Steady.
Iowa Dave
So Dave are you saying the Endurance tires in the same size as the Marathons are actually bigger, i.e. taller sidewalls? I had not noticed on mine. No I would not want to have the problem of something flipping up and getting stuck between tires, oh wait, I couldn't have that problem

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Adrian
I think they must be, because that Anderson leveler that AZJack had cut down would not fit between the two tires. I think I could have driven it in with a mallet but had better sense than that, and I know Jack wouldn’t have fought it, my best might barely meet his standards.
I kept the old Marathons as I have friends with old wood hauling trailers who are always looking for better rubber.
Dave
Old 11-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Advenas, how'd you get blue decals for your escape? That is really nice looking!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
Quote:
Thanks
If you need a tad smaller, Maxxis ST M8008 does make a "D" rated 225/75R15 8 ply at 28.3" diameter and 2540 lbs capacity per tire. Part number TL15710000. I put em on my Egg and love em!
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
If you need a tad smaller, Maxxis ST M8008 does make a "D" rated 225/75R15 8 ply at 28.3" diameter and 2540 lbs capacity per tire. Part number TL15710000. I put em on my Egg and love em!
Put them on our Escape so far like them . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote