High lift axle option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
High lift axle option

I have a 17B ordered for April and was fairly sure I wanted the high lift axle. I do travel plenty of gravel roads, but don't really plan on "off-roading" - the main reason I wanted it is because my Aliner has very little clearance, and I'm tired of the back bumper and stabilizer jacks hitting the pavement almost every time I come of of a gas station driveway (no matter how slow I go).

I was told by ETI that the hitch height on a 17B (2016 model) was 18.5", and 20.5" with the high lift axle. I have changed tow vehicles from an Xterra to a Sorento, where the hitch is much closer to to the ground.

So, a couple of questions - how far is the rear bumper off the ground in the 17B, and has anyone had problems coming out of gas stations, parking lots, etc.? And since the bottom of my hitch receiver in my tv is only 7" off the ground, is there any point spending the extra money on the high lift axle?
Thanks!
Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine is eight years old so maybe not comparable with the new design. I have the high lift axle, but I also have a box on the rear. I've never come close to hitting anything, and that includes ferry ramps.
If your Sorento makes it through, the 17B will follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg   Toad road.jpg   With WDH1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Thanks, Glenn. Any response from someone with a 17B without a high lift axle as to how high the rear bumper is?
Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I don't own a 17B but do own a 17' Casita which has the same hitch height. I also bought the high lift kit for it - not for rough roads or dragging issues but for the dump connections in a lot of RV parks I visit. It seems that the RV parks like to install the dump connection so that it is about 6" above grade. Without a high lift, I would have had to walk the "stuff" down the slinky to get it out of the hose as the dump connection on the trailer would not have enough height to get things flowing downhill. With the extra height from the lift kit and a Camco Sidewinder, I don't have to do anything but open the valves and let it go.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I have a 17B ordered for April and was fairly sure I wanted the high lift axle. I do travel plenty of gravel roads, but don't really plan on "off-roading" - the main reason I wanted it is because my Aliner has very little clearance, and I'm tired of the back bumper and stabilizer jacks hitting the pavement almost every time I come of of a gas station driveway (no matter how slow I go).

I was told by ETI that the hitch height on a 17B (2016 model) was 18.5", and 20.5" with the high lift axle. I have changed tow vehicles from an Xterra to a Sorento, where the hitch is much closer to to the ground.

So, a couple of questions - how far is the rear bumper off the ground in the 17B, and has anyone had problems coming out of gas stations, parking lots, etc.? And since the bottom of my hitch receiver in my tv is only 7" off the ground, is there any point spending the extra money on the high lift axle?
Thanks!
Brenda
I had the h/lift opt. on my 15a.My tv was a 4x4 tacoma.I travelled lots of gravel roads.That was a reason for the high lift,grader oper. ,always seem to leave the gravel high in the middle.But even with the h/lift.My MAIN reason was to get my wiring ,plumbing out of harms way.Seeing as how you have time.Do yourselve a big service & request that ETI.Not use nylon tie straps,to hold your wiring etc. up under the trailer.Both my 15 & 21 trailers have fallen victims of rocks hitting these tie straps.Then leaving your wires etc.,hanging in the breeze..
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Do yourselve a big service & request that ETI.Not use nylon tie straps,to hold your wiring etc. up under the trailer.
Has Escape offered to use an alternative, and if so, what is it? If they have not yet agreed to anything, what would you suggest?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Really cable ties under trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Has Escape offered to use an alternative, and if so, what is it? If they have not yet agreed to anything, what would you suggest?
I never considered that there would be long lengths of cables under the trailer and exposed to the elements. I'll have to look. We have the foamed bottom so maybe they are encapsulated in that (heaven forbid).

IMHO
I think nylon strapping can be a good solution if done correctly, IE. closely spaced and strong attachments. If you are looking for bulletproof and you have long lengths exposed then one good solution is tray. But it will be a dirt catcher, mud catcher and you will still have to find strong attachment points.

And when abrasion takes its toll over the years it will drop suddenly and it's 50/50 to drag at the back or t-bone the front.

Respectfully.
John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
I never considered that there would be long lengths of cables under the trailer and exposed to the elements.
Where would these long lengths of cables be coming from and going to? The cable to the tow vehicle enters the trailer at the front and there are several cable ties between the front of the trailer and the hitch. They are holding the cable to the frame and they are strong and UV resistant.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Where would these long lengths of cables be coming from and going to? The cable to the tow vehicle enters the trailer at the front and there are several cable ties between the front of the trailer and the hitch. They are holding the cable to the frame and they are strong and UV resistant.
Tank sensor wires?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #10

These you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
sensors.JPG  
Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #11

Here's a wider shot of the underside.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank.jpg  
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My request was put on the build sheet for the 21.All they did was apparently use a different nylon tie.I suggest pipe strap hangers,or nylon web strapping[1"] .Similiar to what,packages are bound with.At the very least they could have covered stuff ,vechile wire harness stuff,that is coricaded & has a split along it,for easier appliction.Even gould have done thered green thing..Duct Tape...
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps another reason to get the foam package, it protects and insulates the undercarriage.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I always advise that an owner check the underside periodically and look for things that could give you problems if they fail. Twice when I was checking my tow vehicle oil in Colorado someone in the campground asked if I was having problems. Today I learned about the husband of a woman I once worked with who shelled the engine in his car at 112,000 miles. He had never checked or changed the oil from the time it was new . Maintenance , it's not overrated.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I always advise that an owner check the underside periodically and look for things that could give you problems if they fail. Twice when I was checking my tow vehicle oil in Colorado someone in the campground asked if I was having problems. Today I learned about the husband of a woman I once worked with who shelled the engine in his car at 112,000 miles. He had never checked or changed the oil from the time it was new . Maintenance , it's not overrated.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... If you pay the prices they're asking for cars today you shouldn't have to do anything to them!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #16

There are not a lot of wires under an Escape, because most wiring (even to the tail lights) is in the interior of the body. Tank sensor wires, brake wires, and connections from the 12V DC system (negative side) and 120V AC system (protective ground) to the frame are necessarily under the floor.

Quote:
My request was put on the build sheet for the 21.All they did was apparently use a different nylon tie.I suggest pipe strap hangers,or nylon web strapping[1"] .Similiar to what,packages are bound with.
Any kind of pipe hanger is unlikely to be suitable for wires unless it has a grommet.

The strapping on packages is normally polyester, not nylon. I don't know if it ages or weathers well, as it is the cheapest stuff they can make of sufficient strength for temporary use.

Quote:
At the very least they could have covered stuff ,vechile wire harness stuff,that is coricaded & has a split along it,for easier appliction.Even gould have done thered green thing..Duct Tape...
I assume that this means corrugated split wire loom. There certainly are good applications for that, particularly where there are bundles of wires. Even if this is used, it still leaves the requirement to attach the wires to something for support. I believe Escape is still using this loom for protection on the copper propane lines under the floor; perhaps on request they would add it to wiring where is is not already used.

I would not likely buy a trailer from a manufacturer who used duct tape (or repair tape) to manage wires.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #17

Another photo.
Attached Thumbnails
grey sensors.jpg  
Old 08-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Another photo.
... showing some of that split wire loom, and even pipe strapping holding up whatever is in the loom (the loom protects the loom contents from the strapping).
Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #19

So, just to back up a little - any 17B owners without the high lift axle that can tell me what the height is from the ground to the bottom of the back bumper? Is the back bumper the lowest point on the trailer?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Is the back bumper the lowest point on the trailer?
Nope. Fresh water tank for one. Bike hitch receiver. Black and grey tank valves. See post 17 and post 11.
Attached Thumbnails
bike hitch.jpg