How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something else? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 12:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I made a front enclosure on the Scamp for the same reason plus a battery and propane tank sitting out on the tongue looked ugly to me. Managed to get in an extra battery, some chocks and the tongue wheel.
Looks great, Ron (no surprise there!)
I like the way this fits on the A-frame shape of the tongue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That is a sweet setup on the Scamp Ron. One of the better one's I've seen.
Needed a power tongue jack on there.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Finally glad to hear of others who have had water come into the box. A couple of years ago I posted about water coming into our box and no others acknowledged that they had that problem as well.
We recently completed a trip down to Arizona and back and hit one incredible rain storm while passing through Seattle area in late Nov. We had a lot of water come into the box, but it was one mother of a rain storm.
We also had mega rain storm while returning back north through Washington State mid Dec. Hardly any water came into the box this time. Not sure why?
Our tow vehicle has a short wheel base and I thought maybe that could be one factor that causes excess water to come up off the rear tires and spray onto the front of the box??
Originally picked trailer up in 2013 rained until we got home ,Canada to California , even California then in November . Never found any water in box . We were driving highway 5 all the way except for our stops for 2 weeks . Many times hard driving rain . Maybe because we have a F250 long bed with a cap . So never have drilled holes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
The front storage box looks cool, but how practical is it? What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
Fans of the front storage box are many here. We opted to not get it and have not once missed it. When we saw the front storage box in person we thought the shape odd and impractical to contain much. I think we travel with less stuff than many others do (and no generator, as you you are considering), and we have easily found good, accessible storage in the 19 for what we do take. Even the back of our tow car is relatively empty--mostly just bag chairs and bulky winter coats. If our hose is wet or dirty, we quickly run a paper towel over it before storing it under the bed through the side hatch, and our leveling wood and X-chocks go in the same place.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Jim, who'd ever have the nerve to flame you Although, maybe it'd be fair to say after you're retired and making longer trips than you do now your perspective on what to take with you may change.

I made a front enclosure on the Scamp for the same reason plus a battery and propane tank sitting out on the tongue looked ugly to me. Managed to get in an extra battery, some chocks and the tongue wheel.

Ron
I have always said that when on extended trips after retirement the box might be revisited. What we would mostly bring in addition to what we have, that might not fit into the existing extra storage space we already had, would be things for additional activities, like gear for backcountry canoe travel, but that stuff we would want in the tow vehicle anywat.

However, that is all moot now, as the 5.0 does not even have that option.

That box on your Scamp looks great. I much prefer that style, one like Bigfoot uses, to enclose everything on the tongue. Much sleeker looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
Fans of the front storage box are many here. We opted to not get it and have not once missed it. When we saw the front storage box in person we thought the shape odd and impractical to contain much. I think we travel with less stuff than many others do (and no generator, as you you are considering), and we have easily found good, accessible storage in the 19 for what we do take. Even the back of our tow car is relatively empty--mostly just bag chairs and bulky winter coats. If our hose is wet or dirty, we quickly run a paper towel over it before storing it under the bed through the side hatch, and our leveling wood and X-chocks go in the same place.
You rebel you.
But, your take is pretty much parallel to mine. I bet you don't miss all the extra stuff you could take... just because.

We used clear plastic bins about 6" deep to store all our trailer setup stuff in, and any dirt off that stuff did not get everywhere that way, plus it kept things handy, just pull out the bin and you have everything you need right at hand.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We usually travel with a lot of fishing gear on top of camping gear, so the storage box's space is helpful. Even if we didn't need the space, I like its proximity to the hitch area and protection of the trailer's front end. We store all the dirty stuff in the box, including hitch, chocks, lubricants, axes, campfire accessories, ropes, etc. It saves having to reach in the truck bed for the right bin, which most likely would be out of reach for me. So, while there are different strokes for different folks, we think the box was well worth the cost for us. I do like some of the custom boxes though. Nice work!
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have the storage box, and I agree with most of everything that's been said here: both pro and con. It's very useful, but it's also awkward. I bitch and swear every time I need to get at anything that's not right on top. But it's useful nonetheless for the dirty stuff that I don't want under the bed.

'course accessing stuff under the bed also often incurs much swearing... Getting at stuff stuck in the back corner through that small hatch is awkward at best.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
'course accessing stuff under the bed also often incurs much swearing... Getting at stuff stuck in the back corner through that small hatch is awkward at best.
Having the large hatch I like I put in, definitely was a great thing for accessing under the bed from outside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something...

We don't find the storage box too small - in fact, just right for storing all our outside gear like x-chocks, hoses, the torque wrench for the lugs and the Andersen hitch adjustment, our patio mat, etc. Love it.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
We didn't have the storage box on our 17. We hesitated when doing the build sheet on the 19, mostly because of cost. We're very glad we added that option, however. Here are a couple of shots of all we store there. Hope that's helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0947.jpg   IMG_0946.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps mud flaps on the rear tires may help those with water intrusion issues.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Bigfoot has both a cover shaped to the tongue to hide the propane (and presumably batteries), plus an optional wide box that comes with a frame extension to fit it in - the box is optional, and integrated with the tank cover. Although optional, the cargo box seems to be shown in all of their website photos. The Escape box is limited in space and access, but at least it uses available space instead of requiring a longer frame.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Talking Beer storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
If you drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the box to improve drainage, and fill the box with ice, it makes an excellent cooler (albeit uninsulated). It sure can hold a lot of beer on a hot day.b
With the 100 lb limit, it better be LITE beer!
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Bigfoot has both a cover shaped to the tongue to hide the propane (and presumably batteries), plus an optional wide box that comes with a frame extension to fit it in - the box is optional, and integrated with the tank cover. Although optional, the cargo box seems to be shown in all of their website photos. The Escape box is limited in space and access, but at least it uses available space instead of requiring a longer frame.
Brian ,the most important purpose of the front storage box is protecting the front of trailer . Inside ,very handy putting wet stinky hoses , chocks etc. also covers up your expensive batteries . I for one am glad Escape has this option . As soon as I saw the snap on vinyl that would go on there if you didn't have the storage box ,that did it for us . Tammy said you would have to keep replacing also . The box in our opinion is really worth it and so glad Escape made this option . Pat
Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Agree that the box really protects the front of the trailer. I did not want to spend the $700 but don't know where we would put sewer stuff and all of the many blocks we have and chocks and more. There was a good amount of space in the box for those items even when we had the batteries in the box. Now batteries are elsewhere so it is even better.

There are Escape owners from when there was no box option going back to the factory to get the box and others who could not decide.

Some put chairs and stoves in there but we don't know how they fit them. We have our WDH arms there so that is why.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Agree that the box really protects the front of the trailer. I did not want to spend the $700 but don't know where we would put sewer stuff and all of the many blocks we have and chocks and more. There was a good amount of space in the box for those items even when we had the batteries in the box. Now batteries are elsewhere so it is even better.

There are Escape owners from when there was no box option going back to the factory to get the box and others who could not decide.

Some put chairs and stoves in there but we don't know how they fit them. We have our WDH arms there so that is why.
We too looked at the cost and removed it from our build list . Going to Escape and seeing really what it was and if we didn't get it what we were getting ,that made our decision for us . And thanks to the patience and the help from Kim , it went back on the build list . Now it is amazing how we almost didn't get storage box and it is the top of the list favorite . I think you could say we love that storage box . Pat
Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Thank you all for your input. I saw all of the Escape 19 trailers in Georgia today. Both of 'em. I'm still not convinced that any of my in-laws will fit in that box, so th ejury is still out. Of course I'll change my mind a bahzillion times before I actually get to place an order for an Escape
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #38

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
I'm still not convinced that any of my in-laws will fit in that box, so th ejury is still out. Of course I'll change my mind a bahzillion times before I actually get to place an order for an Escape
cut 'em up in small enough pieces and you can get 2 or 3 in there!

I am soooo looking forward to adding mine. after traveling around the country once (20,000 miles in 7 months) we are gearing up for trip #2 (it's our job!) and the box is going to give us so much flexibility AND protect the front side of the Casa de Tortuga.

here's an article about our trip:

http://kokatat.com/blog/2015/12/shel...me-is-wherever

good luck and good choice for your "Escape"!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have the storage box on our 19. It served the previous owner well and continues to carry many items essential to our camping convenience. 2---6 volt batteries, wood blocks and two 2X6 boards to level with, 2 ball X chocks, 2 plastic chocks, big screwdriver, stabilizer crank, cheater pipe for spring bar, charcoal starter, bundle of western red cedar kindling, etc. We would not be without it. A little water comes in after driving a monsoon. I just dab it out with an old hand towel. The protection the box gives the trailer, the things it holds, the "lid shelf" when closed and my hands are full, all add up to what I consider easily in the top 5 options we have on the Escape. Lockable with 2 small master locks, keyed alike.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #40

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
storage box and etc.

Dave, I hate to have things that are not being used and I'm glad the 19 is well used after 5 years . I believe the tires might need to be changed from wear instead of age. Also I realized I have a very good hatchet in my tool box that I never used so it is now in my Jeep just in case I discover a use. Thanks for the idea.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote