How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something else? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something else?

The front storage box looks cool, but how practical is it? What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
If I could only get one option on my escape trailer, it would be the storage box. We usif to keep our electrical cord, our city water hose (in a hose bag), our x-chocks, the long handled socket that is used to lower the stabilizers, a couple of folding chairs, the Andersen levelers, and probably a couple more things I can't remember right now. i am sure all this stuff could go somewhere else, but we prefer the storage box for these things, especially if they are wet.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I agree with everything Leon said, and I use the storage box the same way. The box is made of fiberglass and the lid keeps rain out, but I can't say it's watertight; I think there might be drain holes. A sticker on mine says there is a weight limit of 100 pounds of what you can store in it, so I use it for bulky items that are likely to get wet and nasty, but aren't too heavy.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Chocks, blocks, hitch ball grease, WDH arms, sewer items and a few other things.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I store much the same as others have mentioned. While it is dry when stopped, some water gets in when driving in heavy rain. I drilled a couple of 3/16" holes in the bottom corners to drain what leaks in.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We add our BBQ to the front storage box in addition to items others have mentioned. Has two drainage holes in the bottom. VERY glad to have it.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Believe our new box came with holes in the bottom. Old one did not have them and it collected water.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
Can't imagine not having one for our type of traveling for the same reasons others have given.

I made my own. To answer your question about a platform: I made my own box. Prior to my trailer ETI welded on two pieces of angle iron for the battery to sit on if the person didn't order a box. Or maybe they did that anyway, don't know. Since I knew that I'd want to remove them I asked if they could only bolt the angle iron on to save me having to hack it off later. (Trailer has to leave ETI with functioning electrical system)

They bolted the battery support angle iron on and Dennis commented that from now on that's what they would doing on all trailers.

So, if you want to put a plywood platform etc. in this area, no problem.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-04-2014 5-19-12 PM1_resize.jpg   P4280081_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
My response is similar to other posters. The front box is for "outside" stuff. I'd hate to be without the front storage box - besides I think it looks cool!

I suppose how you use the box will depend on how many people are camping with you and the available storage in your tow vehicle and trailer. We are happy to use our truck bed for all kinds of things like camp chairs, bbcue and so forth. It's just my beloved wife and I in our sweet little 17b. So far we have lots of available storage space inside the trailer that we haven't used.

Ron, your workmanship looks wonderful. I'm in awe!!

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
We opted not to go with the storage box. I had a hard time with the cost and the limited space that was provided. They do look good on the trailers though.
Having a truck negates needing storage on the trailer tongue. I have a dry box in the truck box for miscellaneous items.
I am considering however, a front enclosure that will encompass the batteries and the propane tanks mainly to keep prying eyes off.
lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Sorry, no useful input on the box question that hasn't already been covered, but...
Quote:
Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we're picking ours up on the 18th/ JAN, storage box that is, to add to our 19'. we spent 7 month living in our rig this summer and really could use the space for all of the above mentioned items. Especially the propane grill/ BBQ. storing it under the bed was a royal PITA.

We got the large size propane tank cover and rigged it on the small tanks. This gave us enough space to put the chocks and a extension cord. looking forwards to the full on box!!!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't speak for the 21, but for our 19 it was not even available, and we did not miss it at all. In fact, we had very little in the tow vehicle, and still had space left in the trailer. All our outside stuff went in the storage hatch.

I for one MUCH prefer the look without, though do understand the need for some people to bring lots of stuff. Just like at home, the more space you have, the more you bring. Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am going to have to dream up to bring to fill my 5.0TA. I may need to get a bigger truck.

Not a wrong opinion, just another one. I say this hoping not to get flamed (again) for my thoughts on this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The front storage box looks cool, but how practical is it? What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
The box also protects the front of trailer . The front of box has like line-ex or similar finish on it . After 2 years no damage or chips . Otherwise you will get just vinyl snapped on which will need to be replaced once in awhile . The storage box ,our favorite option which we weren't originally going to get at first because of cost . Now so glad we did . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15A
We have the font storage box and love it.
Use it for all the reasons stated by others.
The one big factor that made the decision easy for us was the fact that the box has the protective coating on it which effectively protects the front of the trailer. I believe at the time of purchase for our trailer ETI offered a paint coating for the front of the trailer for $500, the box cost $700 easy decision at the time. Also having a small trailer the storage was very important to us.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The extra insulation and thermal windows were #1, the foam insulation was #2, and the storage box was #3. And I can't add a single thing to the pros of the storage box except that I wouldn't be without it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I agree with everything Leon said, and I use the storage box the same way. The box is made of fiberglass and the lid keeps rain out, but I can't say it's watertight; I think there might be drain holes.
Finally glad to hear of others who have had water come into the box. A couple of years ago I posted about water coming into our box and no others acknowledged that they had that problem as well.
We recently completed a trip down to Arizona and back and hit one incredible rain storm while passing through Seattle area in late Nov. We had a lot of water come into the box, but it was one mother of a rain storm.
We also had mega rain storm while returning back north through Washington State mid Dec. Hardly any water came into the box this time. Not sure why?
Our tow vehicle has a short wheel base and I thought maybe that could be one factor that causes excess water to come up off the rear tires and spray onto the front of the box??
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
I am considering however, a front enclosure that will encompass the batteries and the propane tanks mainly to keep prying eyes off.
Jim, who'd ever have the nerve to flame you Although, maybe it'd be fair to say after you're retired and making longer trips than you do now your perspective on what to take with you may change.

I made a front enclosure on the Scamp for the same reason plus a battery and propane tank sitting out on the tongue looked ugly to me. Managed to get in an extra battery, some chocks and the tongue wheel.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
06-04-2012 3-24-09 PM  006_resize.JPG   08-04-2012 12-54-50 PM  003_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If you drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the box to improve drainage, and fill the box with ice, it makes an excellent cooler (albeit uninsulated). It sure can hold a lot of beer on a hot day.b

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
In addition to chocks, blocks, and etc., we also carry an old dog food bag which we use to collect our recyclables until we're at a campground with a recycling bin. All of these things were carried in the back of our pickup when we had the Casita. It's much tidier to have them in the storage box. YMMV