How to price a used Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
How to price a used Escape

I’ve been thinking of the problem of how to decide what a used Escape is worth, in a way that’s fair to the buyer and seller. What do you all think of this formula? The average of today’s new price for the same, and the price paid when it was first bought, minus a depreciation rate of (for example) 2.5%.
Attached Thumbnails
3A183468-0300-477A-A9A4-8CC6974EA394.jpg  
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #2

Or do you all think that the Max used price is the original price paid?
Old 09-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Or do you all think that the Max used price is the original price paid?
Short term, yes.

Long term, they could easily go over the original price paid.

But without a lot of inflation I'd look at what you paid, depreciate things that wear if they have not been replaced (tires, battery, upholstery if not like new), add in at least part of the cost of major upgrades, and consider rarity and location. For example, if you drove to BC to get it and it is now in Florida, buying it there saves someone a hefty delivery fee, plus they get to use it sooner.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
The market should determine your selling price. Don't feel bad about selling the trailer for more than you paid for it. There will be a few that are bitter over you asking a higher price than you paid but the sun will still rise for them tomorrow and they'll move on with their life.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don’t know much about formulas but I do know once you set the price you can always come down but going up does not work so well. I bought a boat from a young guy years ago. I asked him what he wanted for it after I looked it over. He said “Oh 900 or a thousand”. I was prepared to give him 1200 based on others like it that I’d looked at. I said “900 looks good to me.” He said “ I was hoping for a thousand”. I said “I was hoping for 800”. I peeled out 9 Benjamin’s, laid them on the boat seat by the title and asked “is this my boat or yours?. He took the money. Don’t be wishy washy, don’t point out flaws, answer questions honestly, stick to your guns, there will be another buyer along directly. Lessons I was taught a long time ago.
Or as the not really Latin saying goes “Illegitimi non carborundum”
Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t know much about formulas but I do know once you set the price you can always come down but going up does not work so well. I bought a boat from a young guy years ago. I asked him what he wanted for it after I looked it over. He said “Oh 900 or a thousand”. I was prepared to give him 1200 based on others like it that I’d looked at. I said “900 looks good to me.” He said “ I was hoping for a thousand”. I said “I was hoping for 800”. I peeled out 9 Benjamin’s, laid them on the boat seat by the title and asked “is this my boat or yours?. He took the money. Don’t be wishy washy, don’t point out flaws, answer questions honestly, stick to your guns, there will be another buyer along directly. Lessons I was taught a long time ago.
Or as the not really Latin saying goes “Illegitimi non carborundum”
Iowa Dave
I love the tale, thanks Dave, and point well taken. We often conjure you up when we're talking about tow vehicles :-) John's always like "Well if it's OK for Iowa Dave..."
Old 09-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My first trailer was a tent trailer, owned by a fellow photographer. I offered him $1,000 and he countered with $900.

So, I bought it.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
From the perspective of someone who's watching for a used trailer at a price I can afford, I'd say the formula is fair.

If I were selling a trailer..... hmmmm.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #9

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Interesting micro-economics question!

Your formula looks like a good place to start your thought process for the asking price. You account for inflation by including the price of new trailer versus old as well as depreciation over time. All things being equal (no major renovations), I would guess the average price of a fiberglass trailer follows a decay curve that flattens out as time goes by.

From watching this forum as well as this one: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/, these "egg" units don't seem to depreciate nearly as fast as cars or stick built units. On the other hand, I would not expect them to appreciate like land / houses over the long term.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
The market should determine your selling price. Don't feel bad about selling the trailer for more than you paid for it. There will be a few that are bitter over you asking a higher price than you paid but the sun will still rise for them tomorrow and they'll move on with their life.
Fully agree with Chamberman. If it’s been kept in good shape than ask your full purchase price, plus taxes paid. Ex. Trailer - 25,000 plus taxes - 2000 = 27,000 asking price. You can always come down from there but don’t be surprised if it sells for what you asked.
Everything is on your side. It’s almost a 2 yr wait if someone orders new. Nobody in America wants to wait. Plus as some mentioned, they save a pretty penny for not having to go get it, or having it shipped.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #11

Nice - these messages are all encouraging. I don't want to be cheeky when the time comes to sell the 17 but I also don't want to feel I got the short end. I actually do like my formula because when I plug in our specific numbers, it seems about right, and also if I run it for other people's situations.

You've all helped me to get a feel for what goes into depreciation, the hardest bit to guess.

We're about to enjoy the Northern Oregon Fiberglass Rally at South Beach this week. Further trips to Stub Stewart and Silver Falls (these are all Oregon state parks) to round out the season, and then we prepare for the 21C with due date in the Spring.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
From watching this forum as well as this one: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/, these "egg" units don't seem to depreciate nearly as fast as cars or stick built units. On the other hand, I would not expect them to appreciate like land / houses over the long term.
I think houses all depreciate, but the land appreciates more than enough to compensate.

Whether they're structures or vehicles, depreciation depends on factors such as how fast they wear out or degrade and how much styles change. There's not much to wear out in a trailer, moulded fiberglass trailer bodies don't degrade much with time, and their styles are relatively static.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think houses all depreciate, but the land appreciates more than enough to compensate.

Whether they're structures or vehicles, depreciation depends on factors such as how fast they wear out or degrade and how much styles change. There's not much to wear out in a trailer, moulded fiberglass trailer bodies don't degrade much with time, and their styles are relatively static.
Maybe home depreciate in the Canadian market but usually not in Most US markets. Land always appreciates...slower that home/land packages usually because banks don't like financing dirt... They will but larger downpayments, and hight LTV's than homes...Again, Most US markets...I know nothing about Canadian Markets
Old 09-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not much market for greasy T-shirts, but still a market for Levis with holes in them, apparently.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Call it dirt if you like, we think of Iowa farmland as black gold. And many years ago Will Rogers called the ball. “Buy land, they aren’t making more”. Without bank financing 120 acres at 18,000 dollars an acre ain’t egg money grandma kept in a jar under the bed. CSR stands for corn suitability rating and dollars are ascribed to points relative to crop production capabilities.
What did a Boler cost in 1974? What will a nice one bring now?
Points to ponder. Smile when you call it dirt pardner.

https://www.agweb.com/news/business/...rong-commodity

Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 E19
Dave, we like it when you talk dirt-y.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Nothing smells better than a freshly turned field.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It is a strange thing. Here it is October and over the last year and a half done but one 3 day trip. No idea what my 8 year old 19 is worth, except for knowing for sure just seeing it out there has given me a great deal of invaluable comfort. Sometimes I do wonder if my survivors will sell the thing or keep it. No, in the last year have not spent a night in the yard in it. Is that a distortion?
The lights work, the closet has a sweatshirt, spare socks and a couple cans of chunky soup, there’s propane and solar on demand, the Battleborn is good, my Senior Pass speaks to me from my wallet, and the tires are still round. So what’s holding me back? Am waiting for a booster shot.
Attached Thumbnails
fisheye1.jpg  
Old 10-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We currently own a Casita (actively looking to purchase an E19). As we enter the buyers/sellers market, our research shows we’ll be able to list and sell our Casita for more than we paid only 1 year ago. It helps that Casitas have a loyal following and are a good entry-level transition from car-camping.
Escapes seem to have a similar loyalty and demand.

So it has a lot to do with fundamental economics…quantity supplied vs quantity demanded.
Smeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
So what’s holding me back? Am waiting for a booster shot.
Camping isn't that risky, is it? You are self-contained, you can prepay reservations so as not to handle money or direct interactions, I guess things like getting gas are slightly risky but you have to do most of the risky things anyway like camping and shopping.

And this thread has gone completely off the rails!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote