Jack Antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Jack Antenna

Is the Jack antenna worth purchasing or just stay with the cable ready?
dgleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I got the antenna, cable and satellite ready. Haven't used any of them. Keep thinking I will tho
Old 08-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use the Jack, although only a handful of times. Works okay for me. If you are a commercial campground camper, then chances are you'll have cable. You do need to bring a cable to run from the utility post to the camper. If you are the NON commercial campground type, and want to watch TV, then you'll need an antenna of some sort. If you are thinking of a 5.0TA, the Jack is mounted right at the apex of the roof. It's a pain to put a cover over.

If I had it to do over, I'd skip the Jack and pick up a Leaf for the window, or something along those lines, as I rarely do TV while camping. I do like watching the Superbowl, and TV weather when things get exciting.

The Jack also casts a shadow which may or may not be an issue with multiple solar panels.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The couple times that we've watched TV it was in a commercial campground with cable supplied. Any other place we've camped would be out of range for over the air broadcasts, so antenna would be of no use. If you're close enough for OTA, you probably will have cable.

We have a 7" DVD player that can be connected to our 15 inch TV, but never watch it.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I wouldn't recommend the factory installed Jack antenna.

It depends on what you want from the TV. An OTA antenna will pull in stations even a fair distance away. You can go to TVfool and see the kind of information available. It gives the distance and bearing to TV stations. For folks like us that try and catch TV news whenever we can, although I don't know why sometimes , it's very handy.

OTA reception is a function of height. Raising the antenna higher gives better reception. With our Jack on a pole coverage wasn't too bad and no doubt better than if it'd been just on the roof.

However on the 21 I went with an omni-directional Antop antenna. It's hands down better than the Jack. In our case we're able to do a location by location comparison to what we received with the Jack.

If you only want to maybe once in awhile hook up to a campground cable, run the cable in with the electrical cable port. If you want OTA reception go with the Antop on a pole. We followed Mike L's lead on that and now have a 20' telescoping pole. As I said higher is better.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0021rotated.jpg   P1310006_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
Bea

We got the stock TV Jack Antenna and although, I admit, it's performance is marginal...it works...sometimes...and I have no regrets. On the E21 the TV Jack Antenna is located in the front so it doesn't put any shadow on the rear solar panel.

To be honest, however, I never really expect to get any reception with the TV Jack but when we camp close to civilization, it's a fun surprise to find a local news broadcast or an old I Love Lucy episode on PBS.

Some channels can come in clearly but many are extremely pixilated with the Jack so I wouldn't depend on it if you plan to use it with any regularity. If you do, then Ron in BC's set up with an omni-directional Antop antenna on a telescoping pole looks way better and/or I would recommend cable-ready (which we have and works great!) but you would need to be in a campground that provides cable TV. If you want TV for sports, then definitely go with with Ron's set up or cable-ready.

-Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We mostly have used cable when in a campground . But last year was surprised with our flying saucer Wineguard omi directional antenna . There was no cable channels but being close to station in Utah pulled in 69 stations . We do have antenna on roof at home now for over 8 years . So familiar with antenna ‘s . Would not have one installed on trailer though . But definetly get cable ready for campgrounds . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
ATK TV Antenna

ATK TV Antenna
Attached Thumbnails
16FE5992-848C-478C-B65D-C68264C44850.jpg  
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
ATK TV Antenna
Much better Steve ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Much better Steve ! Pat
The picture was taken on July ,17th , that was the date Summer fell on in 2018 in Northern Minnesota near the Canadian border.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
The problem I have is, once I go into the first mountain fold, none of this stuff works. No radio signal, except sometimes in a car. No phone signal unless in some hot spot. TV, I can't imagine. Even my fancy cell phone booster is marginal at best.

I think I am waiting for a leap in technology that is satellite based, so we can screw up the sky even further.

I admit it is a different experience when connected to family and friends and I am out camping. I love that. As much as I like being away from the news, I seem to cling to it!

Here is a pic of my rooftop. The antenna, which I have never used, is not in the way of Solar. But with two panels, there is almost no waiting when the Sun is up, even a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Roof.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgleaver View Post
Is the Jack antenna worth purchasing or just stay with the cable ready?
Of all the optional items we got when purchasing our trailer, the tv antenna was the one I regret most. Have not used it once since the trailer was purchased in 2013 and is just an obstruction on the roof of the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It all depends on how important TV is to you & yours. In my case I opted for a second solar panel. Since KI don't carry or watch TV, it made sense. Much prefer reading.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Of all the optional items we got when purchasing our trailer, the tv antenna was the one I regret most. Have not used it once since the trailer was purchased in 2013 and is just an obstruction on the roof of the trailer.
If I had it to do over I would not get the antenna either. I would also not get the camera and heat pads.

I was the last Aug, 2019 delivery date and only had 7 days to decide on the extras. I went with everything that sounded remotely like handy stuff to have.

I'm happy I was not aware that there were things not on the option list that were available.

"Wish I could do it over". Has it ever been different?
Old 08-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Pretty much the same here. We haven't used it much, but we've since replaced the original one for two reasons: it was wired incorrectly by Escape (bad coax terminations) and some idiot (can't imagine who) decided it was a good idea to try and pull the trailer out of it's garage with the door still not all the way up, which broke the mast.

I would much prefer a second solar panel there instead, but I asked about it in late 2014 when we were finalizing our build sheet, and I was told one panel only. If I were having one built today, there's no question I'd go for a second solar panel instead.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21

just sayin'...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I just keep thinking of John Prine:

"Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Move to the country
Build you a farm
Plant a little garden

Eat a lot of peaches
Try to find Jesus
On your own"

No TV in my rig, too much outdoor fun & exploration, games, puzzles. Having a TV around runs counter to detaching from the rat race. That's for home.

Well, okay I do have a 8" screen portable DVD player we carry for the rare movie night...!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I just keep thinking of John Prine:

"Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Move to the country
Build you a farm
Plant a little garden

Eat a lot of peaches
Try to find Jesus
On your own"
....:
yeah, another great one...

and of a more literary bend...

dated but still well worth reading.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Now that we are empty nesters (for over 20 years, actually) I am NOT the television fanatic of the two of us. The other occupant has somewhat of an addiction, however. She hasn’t complained about the Jack antenna so I guess it is sufficient. I do know most of the times cable has been available it is frequently dismal. Other have mentioned using cable; they can’t be going to the campgrounds we have been to. I do have Dish at home and so I have a Wally (receiver) in the Escape, with the Tailgater portable satellite antenna. It’s a good thing that it searches for and licks onto the satellite because I wouldn’t have the patience to set it to the proper azimuth and elevation. But I did have to rewire the CoAx cable to bypass the junction block used with the Jack. I do not know if anyone else has experience it but I found this junction block was affecting reception of some of the lower numbered channels on the cable systems that are “watchable.” Anyway, she seems to be happy with the Jack and the satellite.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
To me the only good shows on tv now are the reruns of Gunsmoke, Bonnaza , and Perry Mason
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote