Little known, unusual options or custom requests - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #1

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Little known, unusual options or custom requests

Hello everyone, in anticipation of our upcoming order, we see that many on this forum describe unusual options or modifications that were actually granted.

I think it would help having a list of what can be done so as to not miss something similar when thinking of ordering a trailer that better meets one's needs and expectations.

I suspect many getting ready to solidify their order sheets would benefit from knowing what can be obtained from the factory and what can not.

Lately we learned that the belly band can be white, who would have known that !
Then same owner ordered it "naked" meaning without graphics. I never imagined that was possible, yet it was granted.

Another one I remember was replacing the factory standard black and grey water tank sensor with an accurate one. I never would have thought that would fly, guess it did.

Then there is the full length cabinet over the chest of drawers on the 21ft. Was that an easily approved option. Deleting the kitchen hood was another I remember reading about.

Bottom line, I read bits and pieces of options and am never sure they were recently approved ones or done way back when things might have been different.

Year you got your custom "option/request" would be helpful.

Look forward seeing what is out there.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
“As government expands, liberty contracts.”
― Ronald Reagan

There is irony here I think.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #3

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
My friend - try living in Cuba.

While I have your attention, what unlisted option did you get ?
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The irony is, that you suggest a list of options be formed, an agency, if you will, to keep track. Nothing to do with Cuba or US. Just a function of governments usually - making lists and keeping track.

When I got my trailer in 2008, this forum didn't exist and the options list from ETI was short. I got exterior shower, high lift, three burner stove, a 5 cu. ft. fridge, dual propane and tinted windows.
I can't think of any options that I really would have added, if I had been aware of them. The standard upholstery and flooring is just fine. If I want to add colour, I can add a pillow or a throw. I don't really need the high lift axle and a two burner stove is more than enough since we cook outside.
An inexpensive inaccurate sensor for the tanks is better, in my view, than an expensive and likely inaccurate sensor.
I'm perfectly happy with my Escape.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 AM   #5

Thanks for your input and clarification. No agency here I can assure you.

What I think will be helpful are options and approved requests that many of us at this stage often wonder about, at least I do. I have also read many posters that had wished they had known about something they learned right after they place their final order. Seems common.

We all know the usual stuff like as described on their website but the ones not listed or granted as a custom upgrade can often spark ideas, I think. The white belly band is one of them. Now about that pool table Reace said we could have ....

By the way, I agree with you, two burner is more than enough and outdoor cooking and living is what it's all about. Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I found my "unlisted" options by just what you're doing - scanning the forums. The forum is such a wealth of information and I am always thankful to those who share so much. Good luck on your build sheet.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The question comes up periodically... I'm sure a search would find many threads but here's one.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...list-4384.html
Old 08-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It starts with a new buyer asking ETI if they'll do something not done before. There's no possible way to list those unusual options because it can change daily! That would mean someone has to keep track and update the list. ETI is too busy and I know I don't want to do it... I already have my trailer and am perfectly happy with it. Who is going to volunteer?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
One option we have is recessed supports/holders in the floor for the dining table legs. Instead of kicking the standard, conical supports every time you move your foot, ours are virtually flush with the floor. Rease suggested it to us when we were planning our list. Makes it easier to store things on the floor when traveling too.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Shopping
I agree, Ginger-- the forums are really helping me with my Order..and feedback from people willing to share what they ordered but do NOT need. Love Riley.
My companions will be two canines. I hope for enough bed space in my 17b for me to have one too.
KCCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
What I think will be helpful are options and approved requests that many of us at this stage often wonder about, at least I do. I have also read many posters that had wished they had known about something they learned right after they place their final order. Seems common.
I well understand what you're asking for, Santiago. I was in the same situation when I first joined. I poured through the list of options on the ETI site and we decided which ones we liked. Then, as I was reading more and more on here, I found mention of other stuff. Holy Cow! So, now I've added more to my spreadsheet of possible options.

I know many are quite happy with what ETI offers as standard, but I also love the fact that I can add to it, if I'm willing to spend the money.

So, just keep reading, asking questions and start/add to your own spreadsheet of options. I've also included mods that some owners have made, plus bookmarking threads that have info I want to refer to later.

I'm keeping that black belly band as I have plans for it!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
One option we have is recessed supports/holders in the floor for the dining table legs. Instead of kicking the standard, conical supports every time you move your foot, ours are virtually flush with the floor. Rease suggested it to us when we were planning our list. Makes it easier to store things on the floor when traveling too.
We saw this option when Rich and Mary kindly showed us their trailer a few months back. Very nice! We really liked that idea. One less thing to bang your feet in to. Not that I ever do that with my size 11's. Nope, never!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Then there is the full length cabinet over the chest of drawers on the 21ft. Was that an easily approved option.
Yes, it was readily approved by ETI. It was Sally P, I believe, who was the originator of this option and so ETI had already worked out the logistics by the time we requested it. We put in three shelves and love the extra storage. And with a fold-up counter we also have the utility of a small table top at that location to hold incidentals.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We brought our trailer home a year ago and now some of the options we selected that were NOT on the list at that time are on the list now. And new things keep popping up. So it would be hard for me to answer your question. While we were making up our minds I basically lived on this forum.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Donna's name 10Forward inspired us to inquire about adding Warp Drive to our 19. ETI readily agreed as long as we supplied it. Now we won't even need a tow vehicle.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
What color is the belly band if it isn't white?

Here's the pic of our in-production 21. We didn't ask for a white belly band, yet it looks white to me... so far. Are they going to paint it?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Here's the pic of our in-production 21. We didn't ask for a white belly band, yet it looks white to me... so far. Are they going to paint it?
I believe that it's the vinyl insert that goes in the extrusion later that can be either black or white.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Ah. Thanks. I do see there are screw heads now that will be covered by the insert.

And I don't care if it's black or white. They both look good to me!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Donna's name 10Forward inspired us to inquire about adding Warp Drive to our 19. ETI readily agreed as long as we supplied it. Now we won't even need a tow vehicle.
Ah, Greg, but what they didn't tell you was that you also have to have the impulse drive option for docking, er, backing into the campsite.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The question comes up periodically... I'm sure a search would find many threads but here's one.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...list-4384.html
Thanks Bob for the link to Robert's thread.

I have seen individual posts in Robert's thread while searching for specific factory mods but did not realize it was a jammed packed thread. Newbies you will get a lot of great information on rbryan4's thread.

Aside from unlisted options, I was asking more for build changes ETI approved. Changes dealing with cabinetry, plumbing, electrical and lighting.

Looks like many like these were approved a year ago, hope that will continue with their current schedule. All the lights and switch mods were interesting. What blew my mind was they agreed to install additional wall reinforcements so that one can attach stuff to the wall later. I like that option.