Locking in Option Prices - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The Escape options ordering format seems to encourage errors .
There have been numerous threads on this forum where purchasers did not receive what they believed they were due .
The ETI website is often outdated . What was an approved option
today is no longer an available option tomorrow.
When the option prices on the build sheet are not accurate and up to date , how does one decide which options they can afford ?
Having to call , E mail or correspond constantly with ETI just to assure that you get what you want and can afford , tells me there is a problem with the system.
The current system seems overly confusing and ripe for errors , on both sides.
Laura's cushions are a prime example of how easily errors can happen with the present system.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
This is just not true at all. It is more a case that you hear about them when something does not go quite right, from people who get upset by it. What about the many, many thousands of things that did go right, should they not get the same consideration. I have been through the process twice, and if anyone is going to initiate errors, it would be me and my extraordinary desires. I am not saying that some errors don't happen, but when you see the vast majority of them being with the same customers, it does leave reason to wonder.

Escape trailers are constantly evolving for the better. If they were to just design and build each model with nothing but standard items, with no options allowed, then there would be way less chance of error, and less excuse for them as well.

I am a custom home building and renovations contractor, and know full well how doing custom work can cause error. Much of this work is a prototype, nobody has done exactly the same thing with the same choices before. Like Escape we deal with these errors on an individual basis, making sure it was correct. Sometimes it is at a cost to the customer, sometimes to me.

In Laura's case with the screw mishap, even though they did not do it, Escape did offer to repair the damage for free. To me, that is good service.

I found a few wee issues with things with my trailer after I had a chance to go over it at home. A quick email to Escape, rather than coming on here to complain, took care of all three items fast and effectively. Some may look at what I had to do as a negative, I look at it as a positive thing. I know, I am too easy going of a guy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Balancing Expectations & Outcomes

If any reader of these comments are prospective ETI customers, I want to provide a different perspective on some of the concerns expressed in this thread ...

In short, I don't think any of these comments are an indictment of ETI's quality or business standards but more of how ETI's customers have chosen to respond to the evolution and growth of its business. Obviously, the overwhelming majority of Forum contributors are enthusiastic (possibly an understatement) proponents of Reace & Tammy's business and instead of being just "satisfied" customers, lots of us feel like we're "blessed" that they're willing to provide us with the latitude they do in terms of options, modifications, and other variables. Despite some possible shortcomings in a very small percentage of customer's expectations, it's hard to argue with the fact that people are standing in line - checkbooks in hand - clamoring to purchase one of their trailers. There is no stronger testament to ETI's business integrity and construction quality.

However, along with ETI's growth have come the unavoidable "growing pains" that inevitably result in one thing happening that impacts another and (not surprisingly) "another" may not have been notified. Potential customers should know that ETI is a quintessential "Mom & Pop" business that's growing quickly while at the same time retaining a first-name relationship with all of their customers. For most of us, that's a positive attribute. And as I comb through all of the many threads on this Forum, there is no evidence whatsoever that ETI provided substandard work or services, they just may have failed to meet individual's expectations.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #24

Well said, Rich.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I find it curious that there are all these 'issues' with your trailer and that it's even ETI's fault that you drilled four holes in the exterior wall when you installed the TP holder in your preferred location.
Please re-read my original comments on that in the thread where that was covered, so you can refresh your memory.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Except for nail biting and worrying that I was remembering everything, our build sheet experience with Escape was quite fun. Replies were prompt, Reace quickly said no to a couple of special requests, and everyone was a pleasure to deal with. Tammy, Sarah, Joldie and Kathy were all amazingly helpful to us.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Please re-read my original comments on that in the thread where that was covered, so you can refresh your memory.
Not likely.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
I think it's fantastic we can pick and chose our options on our trailers and even add our own flooring and fabric. The alternative is base model, delux model and ultimate model with no in between. I prefer this method and accept it's minor pit falls be it customer or ETI related. I feel blessed to have choices to meet my needs instead of shopping around and possibly ending up with a lessor quality (stick built) trailer. We have not taken delivery of our trailer yet but in speaking with friends who have had stick built trailers and some of there experiences have been horrible. I would like to thank ETI for thinking of the customer first.(just my opinion)
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There have been numerous threads on this forum where purchasers did not receive what they believed they were due .
The ETI website is often outdated . What was an approved option
today is no longer an available option tomorrow.
When the option prices on the build sheet are not accurate and up to date , how does one decide which options they can afford ?
Having to call , E mail or correspond constantly with ETI just to assure that you get what you want and can afford , tells me there is a problem with the system.
The current system seems overly confusing and ripe for errors , on both sides.
Laura's cushions are a prime example of how easily errors can happen with the present system.

I fully disagree. Having gone through the process for the second time now too it is not "confusing or full of errors" at all. Its your responsibility to read and understand your build sheet and what you are ordering. They will answer any questions you have about any options. ETI has stated many times that "If its not on the build sheet than you wont get it". READ and understand the build sheet. That's why it's called a build sheet, it's how the trailer will be built. The website can not be fully up to date at all times as fast as prices and things change. It is your build sheet that matters.

If your building a custom trailer YOU should understand what you are ordering and make sure ETI understands what your expecting.

Our new trailer has a lot of options and some custom work done by ETI. We have had it for a week now and I have spent over 20 hours in it preforming mods ETI would not do. They told me no on several request I made too. I have every option I ordered, everything works, and every custom thing I ordered is done because I made sure even the smallest details were on the build sheet and that ETI and I both knew what was expected. You don't have to be a jerk or a PITA about it, just make sure it is on the build sheet if you want something.

The other persons trailer that was delivered with ours was saying they were suppose to get the detachable power cord and did not get it. When they got home and looked at the build sheet it was not on it. "If it's not on the build sheet you wont get it".

Sure mistakes can be made and things may break. For the most part the people that are happy will not come on this forum and say how great their campers are. I would think that the majority of people buying Escapes are probably not on this forum. Like almost all reviews you will hear more of the negatives and few of the positives.

I am a positive and have exactly what I ordered and expected for the 2nd time.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Escape Service

Escape has been nothing but good to us. We've had solar, dual sixes and surge protection installed along with a few other minor modifications and repairs. In my careers, I dealt with a lot of Suppliers, millions of dollars worth of equipment and repairs, and contracts from a few hundred dollars to multimillion dollar municipal swimming pools. Nobody is perfect. For my money, I will hang with Reace and Tammy and not look elsewhere. I quit bitching years ago, it just made me tired and I caught fewer fish. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Seine the big bait and move on.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I'll stick up for Reace and Tammy. Probably one of the most positive buying experiences I have ever had was getting the trailer from ETI. And the one mistake made on it was my fault. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #32

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I quit bitching years ago, it just made me tired and I caught fewer fish.
Dave
LOL..thanks for providing my morning laugh....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I enjoyed my buying experience too. Not sure Sarah did though, after reading my 7,463 emails and taking my 991 phone calls.

But hey, I got to talk, dream, get my requests shot down, and change my mind 356 times. What's not to love??
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
I enjoyed my buying experience too. Not sure Sarah did though, after reading my 7,463 emails and taking my 991 phone calls.

But hey, I got to talk, dream, get my requests shot down, and change my mind 356 times. What's not to love??
Probably a couple cocktails after work helped settle her down.
She is good to deal with, eh?

I think your trailer was being built when we were there on Feb 29 last year, was't it?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Nope. Not ours. We didn't sign off the build sheet until March. Probably in February I was still in a self-induced full blown panic that the new 5.0TA was going to be SO much better than ours. Last laugh is on me for panicking!!

I truly enjoyed working with Sarah. Granted their were all kinds of build sheet mistakes, but in talking with my wife later on, when I saw the complete look of puzzlement on her face when I tried explaining the build sheet, I will have to say it might have been more my fault than anyone at Escapes. However, I am pleased to report that we got everything we had put down on the build sheet.

And I'm also pleased to report that after a period of intense therapy sessions, Sarah actually conquered the involuntary tremors she had whenever she heard the phone ring. Well done me!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Loren's Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I'll stick up for Reace and Tammy. Probably one of the most positive buying experiences I have ever had was getting the trailer from ETI. And the one mistake made on it was my fault. Loren
And she came out pretty darn nice. Loren stopt by the house to see me a couple years ago as we were readying for Osoyoos. He was on his way back to Kansas. Great trailer and nice tow rig with lots of accessories under the cover.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0826.jpg  
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #37

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
options

After two trailers from Escape, do the option sheets still at times after the item say see Reace? If in person I remember him rolling his eyes and either saying he found Nancy's window or that it was a project for me. I'm glad we are far enough away that once hooked up and gone I knew it was up to me to take care of any changes. That refrigerator fix was outstanding.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #38

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun&Sun View Post
a lessor quality (stick built) trailer. (just my opinion)
no disrespect and respectively disagree but the continual use in forums of what seems like a derogatory manner of the term " stick built" is IMHO not always valid when referring to trailers that are not molded fiberglass if that is the intention....it certainly may have been that way in the past, but researching trailers this last year has shown many new "stick built" type trailers use new materials and manufacturing techniques superior in many ways to what the current molded fiberglass mfg trailers do in the low to middle end of the spectrum like Casita and Escape. Many of these new "stick built" type trailers make extensive use of materials/construction that do not use for example unsealed wood structures with glue and staple construction that may eventually rot and mildew. The innovative trailers also are very lightweight and strong with aluminum frames both internally and externally, and many with the same advanced materials used in today's automobiles. Electrical systems that are well engineered and documented, wiring done by obviously well trained technicians who not only can make good wiring harnesses but also know about lead dress and providing wiring slack and access where needed so the electrical devices can be serviced properly. Carefully and well planned engineered access to other things that will eventually need service and or inspection. IMHO the real innovation, engineering driven high quality construction and materials in trailers seems to be occurring in the small trailers....so while this camper prefers the molded fiberglass outer shell, still hoping that some of the molded fiberglass trailer mfg in the low to middle end of the spectrum take notice of the innovation occurring and improve the materials and construction of the trailer internals faster. Almost all trailers look good from a distance, if you peek under the hood many of them get real ugly real fast...and yes everyone's standard of "quality" is different and yes even an Oliver and a Bigfoot have design issues.
as said previously ..just another campers opinion...not that it means anything to anybody else.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
no disrespect and respectively disagree but the continual use in forums of what seems like a derogatory manner of the term " stick built" is IMHO not always valid when referring to trailers that are not molded fiberglass if that is the intention....
Stick built has morphed over the years to not necessarily mean "build with wood," as much as "framing," and that can be anything from aluminum to wood. I still wouldn't have one after my brother's 5th wheel Aluma-Lite had to have the entire roof peeled off like like a sardine can because it leak badly and soaked the insulation to the point the sidewalls were bulging. It was replaced under warranty and he promptly sold it.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... I still wouldn't have one after my brother's 5th wheel Aluma-Lite had to have the entire roof peeled off like like a sardine can because it leak badly and soaked the insulation to the point the sidewalls were bulging..
Cool - did they do it like the old sardine cans with the key that went into the tab and then you wound it?
Attached Thumbnails
article-0-135F5254000005DC-690_634x452.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote