Looking for opinions.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Looking for opinions....

Hi folks, our E19 build is likely months away but I'm trying to narrow things down so that we are as prepared as possible when the time comes.
A few generic questions that have been debated before but hoping for fresh opinions!

1) My instinct is to go with the factory energy management/surge suppressor versus an after market option?

2) Same with the inverter. It seems like there are cheaper options after market but I like the idea of factory installed.

3) Same for the wireless backup camera. Seems to be lots of good, after market options but factory installed seems like the way to go. A bumper mount would save one hole in the body though!

4) We don't have any need for solar but I am considering the dual 6 volt batteries. I'm wondering though if just going with the standard single battery makes sense and perhaps buying AGM batteries later would be the better plan (thinking of weight and maintenance). We will likely get the front storage box option.

5) We're considering the 3" lift on the dinette. Would average height people (5'-3" to 5'-10") appreciate the lift to better see out the windows when seated at the dinette?

Thoughts appreciated!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
1. Going with the factory EMS means it’s always protecting your Escape and isn’t going to be stolen or left behind.
2. Inverter: I had this installed as I wanted to make sure I had it, but wasn’t yet sure of a need. My Escape is store offsite with no power. I use the inverter when using my ra polisher.
4. Factory solar helps me keep the batteries charged in storage. If you’ll never need it, then leave it off.
5. I’m 5’5” and my wife was 5’3” and never felt the need.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Always had the EMS option, similar to a spare, always nice to have. No use for inverter, propane or 12v and hookups when needed. Dinette height is fine, 2 medium height owners. Definite solar to keep the batteries charged.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21NE
My opinions based on one season of use with 12NE and my lack of desire for DIY projects:
1. Agreed, get factory install.
2. Somewhat agree with factory install, but I wish that I had a 2000W inverter instead of 1500W. Keurig coffee maker kicks it out, toaster comes close. Spend some time thinking about what you want to run.
3. I skipped the back up camera. Don't think I miss it but also never had one on trailer.
4. Highly recommend getting one solar panel from factory, rear trailer install, not front. Great for peace of mind keeping batteries topped up, and maybe your boonedocking needs will change in the future. Keep in mind weight of two 6v batteries on trailer tongue. Don't know what your tow vehicle is, but if tongue weight is an issue, maybe consider one 12v and the solar panel.
5. Sit on a chair and measure height from chair surface up to your eyes, then ask Escape what standard height from benchtop to bottom of window and center of window. This might give you a better idea of how much of a view you'd get at the different bench heights.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Hi folks, our E19 build is likely months away but I'm trying to narrow things down so that we are as prepared as possible when the time comes.
A few generic questions that have been debated before but hoping for fresh opinions!

1) My instinct is to go with the factory energy management/surge suppressor versus an after market option?

2) Same with the inverter. It seems like there are cheaper options after market but I like the idea of factory installed.

3) Same for the wireless backup camera. Seems to be lots of good, after market options but factory installed seems like the way to go. A bumper mount would save one hole in the body though!

4) We don't have any need for solar but I am considering the dual 6 volt batteries. I'm wondering though if just going with the standard single battery makes sense and perhaps buying AGM batteries later would be the better plan (thinking of weight and maintenance). We will likely get the front storage box option.

5) We're considering the 3" lift on the dinette. Would average height people (5'-3" to 5'-10") appreciate the lift to better see out the windows when seated at the dinette?

Thoughts appreciated!
1) I would go for it.
2) I have no need for an inverter.
3) I have no need for a backup camera.
4) Solar and dual 6V batteries are an absolute must.
5) We are tall and have no need for a lift on the dinette seats.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:

Thoughts appreciated!
1) Probably worth having, especially if you will be plugging in 1/3 of the time or more while camping. But ultimately a trade-off of cost/convenience, which means the line comes to your own finances.

2) To me, this is really personal depending on how much you camp dry, and what kinds of electrical equipment you plan to run. Since you don't plan to even have solar, I sense you mostly plan to camp where there is electricity, in which case you won't need an inverter. To me, and inverter without solar doesn't make a lot of sense, as you'll deplete the battery and then need to run a generator often.

3) I don't have much need for a camera back there. Just a good set of tow mirrors.

4) If you will only be on the batteries when on the road, and otherwise plugged in, then get a single 12V to save cost and weight. As you go up to dual 6V, or then LiFePO4, you are adding capacity so that you can bridge the night from solar period to solar period. Again, adding a lot of battery capacity without solar wouldn't make a lot of sense. Ultimately, think about how often you will camp dry, and for how long.

5) Got the lift, my 5'4" wife said she would hate not having it, and even I at 5'10" think it's better being higher up. It also gave me enough room to completely rework my electrical system and relocate my LiFePO4 batteries from the tongue to under the dinette, which was great for me. That front storage box is awesome with no batteries in it.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 E19
Great info folks - thanks!

Yes, we would always be staying at campgrounds. Electricity is a must but occasionally we have camped in State or Provincial parks that do not have water and sewer hookups.

I know that solar is one of the most popular options but I just don't see it being good value for us. The extent of our boondocking would be stopping for lunch in between campgrounds, hence the inverter would be handy for running the microwave. I assume that batteries get charged while driving?

So if a person opts for the standard single, deep cycle battery where is it located? Does it go in the storage box like the dual 6V?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
It's my understanding that you must get dual batteries when you purchase the inverter option.

Personally, I would definitely get the EMS since it's full featured and won't get stolen, dual six volt batteries, and a single solar panel. You'll be surprised how often that solar panel will be used.

The rear view camera is a person thing.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Great info folks - thanks!

Yes, we would always be staying at campgrounds. Electricity is a must but occasionally we have camped in State or Provincial parks that do not have water and sewer hookups.

I know that solar is one of the most popular options but I just don't see it being good value for us. The extent of our boondocking would be stopping for lunch in between campgrounds, hence the inverter would be handy for running the microwave. I assume that batteries get charged while driving?

So if a person opts for the standard single, deep cycle battery where is it located? Does it go in the storage box like the dual 6V?
The single 12V would go in the box.

For your camping style, I think a single 12V and no solar makes sense.

If you like to have a microwave available for lunch on the road, then your use case for an invertor makes sense to me. Last thing to check is if a single 12V battery can provide enough amps to the invertor to run the microwave. It probably can (lead-acid batteries can deliver a lot of amps) but that's one question you might want to ask Escape.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Resale

One thing to consider with the solar option is resale. It is a popular option. This may be your "last trailer " but you never know.
rog mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #11
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:

Thoughts appreciated!
Our 2 cents:
1) We are very happy with the factory EMS and would get it again. We like that it can't be stolen and it has tripped several times already alerting us to faulty campground wiring.

2) If you think you want the inverter and don't want to install it yourself, then go for the factory installed. (I'd go for all the outlets.) We have found our 1500 W inverter (that my husband installed) to be very handy for heating up leftovers or soup in the microwave, especially for our lunch stops while on the road. A nice healthier alternative to fast food establishments.

3) We have an after market rear view camera, but honestly I don't use it much. I pretty much just rely on my mirrors and GOAL (get out and look). If you think you want a camera, I think the factory installed location (above the windows) is better than the bumper mount (which we have).

4) After 30 years of camping we have become strong advocates of solar panels. They are always quietly working to keep your battery/batteries charged up (a state they like to be in) and even if you think you'll have power at an RV park or campground...you can't always depend on it. Mother Nature can surprisingly dictate otherwise. But if you still don't want a solar panel then you may want to consider adding a Zamp port to your build sheet - for portable solar panels, in case you change your mind later.

5) Since you have some time before you have to decide...perhaps you could see if there any E19 ambassadors in your area so you can physically sit in one and decide if you want the 3" lift.

Just our humble thoughts. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
"Looking for opinions...."
You definitely came to the right forum for "opinions"

We all have different camping styles and preferences, so what works best for you is important.

My ideas on your questions are as follows.
1) We didn't go with the factory EMS, but we did install the same EMS but without the remote readout when we got our trailer. We were trying to keep the sticker price down to help reduce our annual tax rate.

2) We maintain a camping style that does not require AC power except for A/C and electric heat, and an inverter will not help in those cases anyway. We use propane for cooking and heating, and the 12 volt system charges everything we need (except for one camera that has an AC charger, but that can use a plug in 75 watt inverter)

3) We bought an aftermarket backup camera, and like how it acts like a rear view mirror as we head down the road. We mounted ours on the solar panel frame, and ran the power cord down the fridge vent to a power supply, no holes in the fiberglass. It's wireless and the reception range is over 100 ft.

4) We got the dual 6 volt batteries since we frequently camp without hookups, and also got a single solar panel and extra port (extra port is for our previous portable panel in case we are parked in the shade). It's harder to find campsites these days, and frequently if you get a site, it may be one without hookups because they go first. Five days without power is the most we've gone so far but we were at 100% charged every afternoon, even running my CPAP. Our camper is also our escape pod if storms hit and knock out power. In those cases you may wish you had the solar panel just so you can keep the furnace running.

5) We got the lift, and several height challenged people that compared our 19 to others at rallies appreciate the extra height for looking out the windows. An added bonus with the 3" lift is that you get 3" extra storage height under the benches.

Your tow vehicle should charge your camper battery, but only if it is actually hooked up to do so (some tow vehicles aren't wired to provide 12 volts to the 7 pin)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Get all of it except camera. We hardly need the EMS, yet nice to have when campsite includes electrical. Don't cheap out.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You can install an aftermarket EMS yourself, including a built-in one in the same place, and even the same brand and model. Unless you would get a different EMS that you prefer, or want it installed differently, or are getting a fantastically good deal on one purchased separately, I think it makes sense to just get it as a factory-installed option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
I love the back-up camera, for two reasons that I didn't expect. (1) I use it in "rear view mirror" mode when driving, to get a great view of all the traffic behind me (2) It has an integrated microphone that I turn on for backing up, so my wife can give me instructions in a normal voice, instead of yelling at me.
jediwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I keep my eyes peeled far down the road ahead so can anticipate events and slow gently. I use my mirrors to check traffic behind from time to time.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Love our back up camera. Never use it for backing up, but for seeing what is going on behind us going down the road.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We went with 2 6 volts & I added the EMS in a custom location. I did buy a portable solar set up to use when needed, have not used it much. When we camp without hook ups & don’t use the portable solar the batteries last about 4-5 days with light furnace use & normal cabin lights.
We didn’t get the inverter option, Occasionally use a 12 volt tv as well as charge cell phones & iPad. You may consider the dual 6 volts for that application gives you a lot more power. With our old tent trailer & single group 27
Battery 2 days would be about it.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #19

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Back up camera

We did
1 portable EMS
2 duel 6volt factory
3 solar 160 factory
4 back up camera installed inside shooting through back window. So no problem putting on canvas top use this every road trip
5 we put in a 2000 watt inverter hooked up 2plugs one in microwave cabinet the other under dining table we don’t use this that much
Most important option is back up camera lets you know road conditions behind you and what is coming up on your side
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Love our back up camera. Never use it for backing up, but for seeing what is going on behind us going down the road.
Hi: Dcboyd... I'm lucky I don't need one. My kids say I have "Eyes in the back of my head". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote