Must haves, wrong choices and I wish I did. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
2 options we love: storage box and compressor fridge.

2 options we could do with: auxilliary propane hose ( I am sure we will use it one day, once I figure out how to modify a barbecue to use on it) and the two 6 volt batteries. Two 6 volt batteries is not enough when you live in the PNW.....first thing I had to do was install 3 lithium iron phospate batteries. However in your case, with two solar panels you will be good most of the year.

Wish I had of: more corner reading lights, they are super handy and a darker coloured floor (mud, mud, mud).
JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:04 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Must haves
The outdoor shower, mostly used for non showering activities like washing dished and feet. AC, must have AC. The wife said if there was no AC, no trailer.

What I forgot
I wished I have added a few more outlets like a USB at the bed and I forgot to order the screw on power cord.

What we got
AC
Outdoor Shower
2 extra windows
Awning light strip
Door on end of bench
Foot flush Toilet
Propane Disconnect
Front Storage Box
A really awesome trailer, we're super happy with
Old 01-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i got the TV antenna never used it. i have also never used the back up camera. I love solar power,extra insulation , rimless windows , my custom sink, oven , and outdoor shower for dishes and washing dogs.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I'll add to the chorus in favor of Solar and 2 6-volt batteries.

We got microwave provisions and a 700W unit from Walmart that we use a lot. It is easily replaced and leaves a lot of room for storage, versus a permanent installation.

We also got the oven and outside shower, and use both frequently.

We got the King TV antenna, and it works perfectly, but we haven't found anything that we wanted to watch.

We got the inverter, but very rarely use it. It adds quite a bit of complication to the wiring, and a small 150W inverter will do everything that we need.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I switched from a 17 to a 21 primary so I could have an oven, obviously that is a definitely "must have". I do/did prefer the manual awning because of the ability to tilt & tie down, but the only one available when I purchased the 21 was the electric.

As to locations for receptacles, I added a few during the build, but prefer to use the trailer for awhile & then determine where to add them. I did go for the full house inverter, dual solar panels and have since switched to lithium batteries. I dry camp most of the winter...
Old 01-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Smart decision to use the forum as a resource! Without fail, every single option has been discussed - at length - in this forum. So if there is any item that you aren't sure about, just look it up. That is what I did, and with the generous amount of info on this forum, I was able to build a perfect camper for our needs.

Things I'm really glad to have:
- Solar / 6v batteries
- exterior shower (great for dishes to avoid filling up the gray tank. I'd rather save the tank for more frequent showers). I added a shutoff valve so we can leave it winterized when winter camping
- Insulation and foam
- A/C (Don't use it often, but nice to have when camping someplace hot. Also great for the dog if we leave her in the camper)
- propane quick connect (surprised to see so many people not using it - it is SO convenient, I have rigged both a portable grill and a portable fire pit to run off of it)
- Removable power plug
- Exterior access hatches at every location they offered. Incredibly convenient compared to opening the benches
- Added USB plugs basically everywhere, including outside
- Oven, no microwave. Anything we want to heat up, we put in the oven - it takes a little longer than the microwave, but we are camping after all. If you are in a rush, eat a sandwich!
- Manual jack. Helps provide a little workout, and they are silent when arriving to a campground late at night. Much less likely to fail as well.
- Ultra leather on seating (custom)
- hand flush toilet
- Led awning lights. Just wish they could change color

Things I didn't get and don't regret
- Inverter - it is expensive, and we really don't use anything that requires 110. Basically every electronic device these days run off USB, and anything that we would want to plug in would draw too much power anyways (i.e. hairdryer)
- Stereo / backup cam / tv antenna / rims
- Microwave

Things I'm indifferent on
- We went with the manual awning - mostly because I didn't want something electric (and expensive) sitting outside 24/7/365. I just felt like at some point it will fail. That said - manual is a bit of a pain, and definitely annoying to deal with in conjunction with the awning windows on the 21C. We don't use it much anyways

Wish I Did / things I did wrong
- Honestly, none that I can think of. Wouldn't change a thing.
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Any search heading to use for finding threads where people used foam blocks for under trailer?
Our build sheet needs to be done in less than a month and I considered skipping spray foam and making some sort of DIY insulating layer under the trailer to more easily access components of needed
Old 01-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Any search heading to use for finding threads where people used foam blocks for under trailer?
Our build sheet needs to be done in less than a month and I considered skipping spray foam and making some sort of DIY insulating layer under the trailer to more easily access components of needed
A couple of us have added 2" blue styrofoam to the underside of our trailers. I used Lock Tight PI Premium Fast grab to attach it. Finding an adhesive that sticks but doesn't eat the foam is interesting...
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #29
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Love ouir backup camera: I use it to merge and see what's behind me.
Love our solar!
Love the storage box.
Love our kitchen and bathroom window for light.
Love our automatic jack.
Love our air conditioner---when it's hot it is a blessing. It's loud, but it cools quickly.
Happy we got an extra layer of insulation (not sure if this is standard now?)
Happy we did not get the stereo; this technology changes too quickly.
Wish we didn't get the inverter.
We got way too many outdoor lights, but like the ones over the storage box and the door (which may be standard)
I wish we had the larger refrigerator. I would give up the microwave for a larger fridge.
I would double think our u-shaped dinnette. I gave up a larger table and the back bench is narrow and uncomfortable.
My grandkids haven't used the bunk; they share the dinnette sleeping area. But, they are only 6 and 8..we'll see down the road.
We haven't used the outdoor shower.
We do use our antenna. We like to hear the local news when visiting a new area.
Last, I love our trailer. Best decision we every made.

Enjoy the process.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
What I want to know is from current owners what you know are 2 of the must have options, what 2 options did you get that you wish you didn't get and what are 2 options you didn't get that you wish you did.
Now that this thread has gotten so far away from your original requests of "2 of the must have options, what 2 options did you get that you wish you didn't get and what are 2 options you didn't get that you wish you did" I will add our list.

We bought our trailer more for traveling than camping. We do a lot of dry camping when on the road and usually do full hookups at our destinations.

These Ranking are Based on our personal value NOT dollar value/YMMD
A Options/Mods - Must for us
B Would get Unless on a tight budget
C Nice to have
D Questionable Benefit
F Would Not Do Again

These Would Do Again but can not attest to the benefit
Extra Insulation
Removable Power Cord
Spray Foam
Surge Protector

Didn’t Do BUT would do if ordered again
Solar Port
Microwave (I’d install under the stove, we like having the microwave
cabinet for storage. We have the convection/microwave but find we
can not use it when we are not plugged in vs the regular microwave
(or preferably an inverter microwave)

Didn’t Do BUT MIGHT do if ordered again
Awning Light Strip
High Lift – 1) more room underneath 2) more room under overhang

Didn’t Do/Don’t Miss
foot flush toilet
toilet-shut off valve
driver side shower
outdoor USB/12V outlets – we use Ryobi battery tools etc
more 12V USB chargers
quick-connect propane – we carry a 10lb tank/no hoses to mess with,
can take grill or Fire Pit with us away from the trailer
television antenna
radio/stereo

Lagun
Outside dish washing station (Passenger side shower) w/ Flex Spout -
https://www.etrailer.com/search/Flexspout
Solar/dual 6 volt batteries
Rear View Camera (back up camera) - I use it to merge and see what's
behind me
Air Conditioning
Counter Extension and Electric Outlet at step (5.0)
Medicine Cabinet Bungees
Starter Kit
Leveling Blocks
Foam Kneeling pad
Counter Extension by Sink
Kitchen Window (or is it standard in the 5.0?)
Bath Window

Inverter/All outlets – we use these a lot – computers, instant pot – hair
dryer – television
Top Step Hinged 5.0
Front Hatch above propane tanks Opened Up (5.0)
Bath window
U-Shaped Dinette
U shaped dinette Extension (7”)
All 4 corners cut on table
Full Wrap Cushions
Larger and deeper sink (not sure the good outweighs the bad (extra
water usage)
White Belly Band
Step Stool (11” folds flat plastic stool)
Spring Loaded Storage Bars
Ryobi Cordless Tools – drill (socket for stabilizers) leaf blower, work
light, lantern, vacuum, fan, 2 batteries, charger and some others
Exterior Hatch Passenger side rear

C Nice to have
Screen Door Knob - I don't think this is needed on the new trailers
Aluminum Wheels
Custom Graphics (Name)
Sand Pads

D Questionable Benefit
Refrigerator Fan
Captain Lights – we haven’t used much, likely wouldn’t miss
Range Hood – we rarely use/without it it would open the space up /
kitchen window and the Maxair fan should be adequate for us
Convection Oven / Microwave – Although we like the convection oven,
we thought we would be able to use it for lunch stops,
overnight stops, coffee/tea etc. The Convection/Microwave is
too energy dependent for use when we are not plugged in - I
would do the regular microwave or an inverter microwave if
doing again

F Would Not Do Again
Television/Cable Ready
Counter Extensions in dinette – Colleen likes, I dislike so we’d end up
with one, not two
Old 01-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA
Sir you must be an engineer very orderly and complete response thanks a bunch.
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
is "extra insulation" different than the spray foam on the bottom of the trailer?
Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
is "extra insulation" different than the spray foam on the bottom of the trailer?
I think the “extra insulation” is now standard. It is the wall and ceiling insulation. It was an option, at least through our 2017 model year.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Thank you ColoradoSwany. I don't want the spray foam under carriage type of insulation and didn't know if I was missing something. Thanx for the clarification
Old 01-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Here are the options I ordered (5.0) and recommendations. Our style of camping is both off-grid and at campgrounds with service.

Options ordered:
Toilet shut off valve
Prewired for solar
Surge protector
Removable power cord
Keyless door lock
Frameless windows
High lift axle
Exterior propane quick connect
Spray foam under trailer

Musings:
We went back and forth on the powered awning and ended up with the standard. Very happy with that decision. Can tilt for rainy days and takes 30 seconds more than powered to deploy without using power.

Best option was the surge protector and the removable power cord. Have never used the toilet shut off valve, so not sure about that one. Have used both the quick connect propane and the keyless entry but not sure I would do the keyless if I had to do it over. I had to get the high lift due to my ¾ ton Dodge. Even if this was not the case, I would highly recommend it as it makes clearing bumps and some driveways much easier, not to mention off road.

We put in a 975 watt solar system so am clearly glad we got the solar pre-wired option to save time and effort. I did not order the A/C as I put in a mini-split A/C. Understand they might have more efficient roof mount systems now. Would still have gone my route as I needed the roof space for more solar panels. We live in FL, so the extra insulation is great for keeping A/C more efficient.

We did not get the microwave, as that is not our style of cooking. We have added a Ninja Foodie air fryer oven, which is small and very handy. Have used on our trips and stores in the microwave compartment. We just put on the counter top to use.

Deletions:
We had the factory delete the rangehood and cooktop. This gives us a large counter top and I still can cook in the trailer using an inverter cooktop. We also have the gas one propane/butane stove too. Many options. After several trips, we do not regret that decision. I also had the dinette area limited to only what they had to install to put in water heater, battery, etc. I have since built out an L-shaped dinette with a cabinet on the side, next to the kitchen counter top. I also agree with Ronn concerning the Lagun base. I used it to build the table and it is what should be stock, imho.
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
I got the solar panel which I think is a must. Dual 6 volts. I got the electric awning and wish I had gotten the manual one but I travel alone and so the automatic one is easier for me. I also got the electric power jack and the front cargo bin. Glad I got those.
bnorman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Big Thanks to John in the Houston area for showing us your very nice 5.0 TA. I asked every question I could think of and soon We will be making the leap. What I want to know is from current owners what you know are 2 of the must have options, what 2 options did you get that you wish you didn't get and what are 2 options you didn't get that you wish you did. We will most likely stay in state parks, Corps of engineer parks and some National Parks. May boondock some but that is not the plan. Remember we are in SW Texas and we don't intend on staying in Nome Alaska in February. Thanks a bunch.
We have a 2019-21 and we love it. We are full timers. We use the outside shower for outdoor showers so have it on the drivers side, plus we mountain bike and it is great for rinsing the bikes if they get muddy. We also love the back up camera for watching traffic behind us when travelling and changing lanes. We wish we had the manual awning rather than the remote operated. Manual would have been better on rainy days. the electric one pools water and doesn't adjust down for shade or better run off. the sensor on it is good but honestly, we rarely have it open when it is windy, mostly when rainy and we have to keep monitoring it. The downfall on the manual one was the inability to open the windows when the awning is down, but they would open an inch or so, and there are lots of other windows that fill the gap. With the max fan on the trailer is well ventilated.
DebS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Medicine Cabinet Bungees
Starter Kit - Not an option anymore...
Foam Kneeling pad

White Belly Band
Spring Loaded Storage Bars

C Nice to have
Aluminum Wheels
Custom Graphics (Name)
Sand Pads
Hello Ronn,

Hope you are well.

We are getting close to finalizing our build. I have posted it on - https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/my-escape-5-0-build-19879.html#post369448. I made use of some of the ideas you have shared.

I have some questions on your list and have edited it down to the ones I have question on.
  • Medicine Cabinet Bungees
  • Foam Kneeling pad
  • White Belly Band
  • Spring Loaded Storage Bars
  • Sand Pads - It is on our build sheet but we don't really know what it is about
The question is what they are and are they available from ETI or separately from Escape.

The ones we have discarded for now but checking whether we are missing something:
  • Aluminum Wheels - This we asked about. The weight seemed almost the same as the steel wheels. So we were puzzled as to the value. Am I missing something.
  • Custom Graphics (Name) - We have not thought about it, partly as we are not into making a statement - on the campground or off it. But, I am curious if it is useful in some other way that we have not thought of.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Hello Ronn,

Hope you are well.

We are getting close to finalizing our build. I have posted it on - https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/my-escape-5-0-build-19879.html#post369448.
  • Sand Pads - It is on our build sheet but we don't really know what it is about
The BAL stabilizer C-jacks as installed look like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1thumbnail.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	53304

sand pads are a well worth $20.00 option:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2thumbnail.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	53303
Old 01-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
"Aluminum Wheels - This we asked about. The weight seemed almost the same as the steel wheels. So we were puzzled as to the value. Am I missing something."

The only value to the aluminum wheels is they look good. It would make your trailer look great with your new Ford truck. I don't like the steel wheels but that's just my opinion. Others like them or don't want to spend the money on aluminum wheels. I just think it makes a huge difference in the looks of the trailer.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote