Must haves, wrong choices and I wish I did. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Where did you buy these? My knees aren't the best - and could use the help.

Garden stores and nurseries are likely to carry them.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #62

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA
Since we live in Texas I think we will keep and upgrade the AC thanks for your insite.
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #63

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns View Post
"Aluminum Wheels - This we asked about. The weight seemed almost the same as the steel wheels. So we were puzzled as to the value. Am I missing something."

The only value to the aluminum wheels is they look good. It would make your trailer look great with your new Ford truck. I don't like the steel wheels but that's just my opinion. Others like them or don't want to spend the money on aluminum wheels. I just think it makes a huge difference in the looks of the trailer.

Jimmy
Here's a nice little summary of steel vs alloy, appearance isn't the only difference.
https://rtxwheels.com/pages/alloy-wheels-vs-steel-rims
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #64

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Glad we do not have the U shaped dinette. On the 19 ft the front bench seats are only 48" long. A comfortable seat is about 20 -24 inches deep. Leaving you 24" approx for the 2 seats on the bench. You now have room for 3 people. The front storage area under the U Shape is difficult to impossible to access. No matter what table support you have legs just are now kicking each other. It might look good in photos but it is not great in life. If you want a lounge area, just drop the table, spread the cushions out and bingo, you have a nice space.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #65

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Glad we got:
-Solar and dual 6v
-outside shower, mainly for doing dishes

Backup camera,robably not needed

We use our backup camera as a rear camera going down the highway to see whats close behind us. Never used it as a backup camera per se.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #66

Trailer: 2022 E19
I noticed that folks that got solar also got 2 6 volt batteries. Why not 1 lithium, other than cost you save about 100 lbs of weight up front. I thought that 1 lithium would put out more power for longer then the 2 6 volt.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwoods01@gmail.com View Post
I noticed that folks that got solar also got 2 6 volt batteries. Why not 1 lithium, other than cost you save about 100 lbs of weight up front. I thought that 1 lithium would put out more power for longer then the 2 6 volt.
Lithium is a new option. Wasn't available when I bought Ten Forward. However, I'm perfectly happy with the solar and two 6-volt batteries I did get. Maybe I'll change in the future and maybe I won't
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #68

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwoods01@gmail.com View Post

2 6 volts is 224 AH and 1 lithium is 100 AH two lithium would be a better choice. Just depends on you needs. I got 6 volts because I camp in below freezing weather.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #69

Trailer: 2022 E19
Thanks, good to know.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
2 6 volts is 224 AH and 1 lithium is 100 AH two lithium would be a better choice. Just depends on you needs. I got 6 volts because I camp in below freezing weather.
One 100Ah lithium gives about the same usable capacity as 2 6v 224Ah batteries and there's no hurry to get it back to full charge after deep discharge, as you should do with lead acid. The lithium should also provide many more cycles in its life.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #71

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I can go for a week in the shade on two 6v batteries, and they cost less for me over the short and long term. That may not work for others, but for me, it’s not even close on amp hours per dollar. If your usage is different from mine, you may prefer lithium.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I can go for a week in the shade on two 6v batteries, and they cost less for me over the short and long term. That may not work for others, but for me, it’s not even close on amp hours per dollar. If your usage is different from mine, you may prefer lithium.
That's great, I'm glad that works for you. We, too, have used 6v for several years and they can work fine, especially in the summer when all they're really providing is power for lights (LED presumably) and some water pump usage. But, a couple cold nights running the furnace and no recharge in the day is taking them down pretty low. Anyway, as you say, it's totally dependent on the type of camping you are doing and the way you want to treat batteries. Buying less expensive lead acid and replacing them every few years might be cost effective for lots of people. This thread is about the ETI lithium setup which, IMO, is very expensive for the capacity provided. There are much cheaper lithium alternatives available for DIY types.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my son put 3 lithium 100AH in his all electric camper and has room for 2 more. he has 500 watts or something of solar, an induction cooktop, microwave, and a compressor truck fridge. only thing that is not electric is a diesel heater (said camper is built on a f550 diesel utility chassis). I don't think he has hot water or a bathroom.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #74

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
I have four Battle Born Batteries in my 5.0 along with 975 watts of solar. I also use an induction cooktop, etc. Biggest advantage is that I can travel down the road with the fridge on, in the DC setting. I can also leave our mini-split A/C system on 24/7 in the hotter climates like FL. However, this is not for everyone. If 6 volt batteries do the chore, then I completely agree that they are the right battery for the job.
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #75

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
We use our backup camera as a rear camera going down the highway to see whats close behind us. Never used it as a backup camera per se.
I'm in full agreement here . . . I find the camera extremely useful when driving in traffic to monitor what's around us. I don't need it for backing up, but really glad I got it. My Ridgeline mirrors don't let me see behind the trailer (19) well.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:34 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The jacks will, in some cases barely reach the ground or not quite reach it (in unlevel parking situations where the back end or one side of the trailer is high). It's common to have to put a block of some sort under the jack in those instances. An advantage to the sand pads, in addition to providing a more stable base in soft soil, is that they make it easy to attach small blocks to them if desired to avoid having to carry separate blocks and put them out.

I originally put one thickness of 2x6 board on the sand pad and found it to be not quite enough all the time so I added a second (we do have the high lift). Since doing that I have never had to add any additional blocks under the jacks. Although the blocks look big in the photo, since the jacks are not far behind the back wheels it they are plenty far off the ground when retracted to not be a problem when driving. On a bumper pull trailer, adding blocks to the front jack pads could cause some clearance issues.
I just use the stacking leveler blocks instead easy to adjust height
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #77

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've never used my rear view camera. Or my satellite TV thing. So i would not have bought those. Never had a dead battery/low battery with my stock batteries and solar panel. so very happy with those. I may upgrade my batteries when these go. And if doing it again i would have added a second solar panel or a Zamp plug thing. I really like some of the new interiors and tile look floors. Other then that i am very happy with my trailer as is.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #78

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
... I also had the dinette area limited to only what they had to install to put in water heater, battery, etc. ...
Hi, I'm just beginning to consider options for my 5.0 - lots of time with a completion date in 2023. Being a complete newbie to the rv world, all these decisions are still rather overwhelming.

I'll be going solo & hope to travel close to full time. With that in mind, the dinette in either configuration seems like a waste for me. I'd been wondering about eliminating everything possible in this area & customizing a work space around a very comfy office chair. Your post is the first I've found indicating that this might be possible. Would you be able to detail exactly what must be included in this area & indicate how much space these items require? Can they all fit in the DS bench? I think that my build will include 2 Li batteries & an inverter along with whatever else is needed to max out the solar power.

This is my first post, so apologies if I've mucked up posting the quote or any etiquette. Any input will be so appreciated.

Lorraine in Pittsburgh
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #79

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
I'll be going solo & hope to travel close to full time. With that in mind, the dinette in either configuration seems like a waste for me. I'd been wondering about eliminating everything possible in this area & customizing a work space around a very comfy office chair. Your post is the first I've found indicating that this might be possible. Would you be able to detail exactly what must be included in this area & indicate how much space these items require? Can they all fit in the DS bench? I think that my build will include 2 Li batteries & an inverter along with whatever else is needed to max out the solar power.
Hi Lorraine - FYI whether U-shaped dinette or not the following standard items are under the dinette benches of the 5.0 (the arrangement differs between the dinette shapes):
  • water heater, water pump, associated pipes including fresh water fill (always driver side)
  • shore power connection (and attached cord stash-space if you don't get the removable option; always driver side)
  • batteries and power center (AC-DC converter/charger and breaker/fuse panel; default locations differ per dinette shape)
Options if you get them:
  • DC-DC charger (included with LiFePO4 battery option)
  • EMS
  • solar controller
  • inverter (and transfer switch if you opt for that)
There may also be some misc items like AC/DC power outlets (and perhaps something I forgot above)

Two tips:
  • Review the 5.0 Configuration Guide - it has some equipment location data
  • You've got plenty of time, keep surfing the forum, there's lots of pics of the under-bench areas scattered throughout various mods posts
  • Have a talk with your configuration contact at ETI about what might be possible toward your modification goal; I'm not too optimistic based on what you describe as your 'wants', but you never know if you don't ask
IMO it's not practical to try to describe the space each item takes - it's a function of the exact options selected, how they choose to arrange them for wire/cable routing, ventilation clearance, etc, etc. (don't forget much of electrical gear generates heat and is heat-sensitive, so cooling/ventilation clearance must be considered - you can't just jam it all tight together and expect long-life or reasonable service-ability.)

Good Luck, Have Fun!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #80

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Hi, I'm just beginning to consider options for my 5.0 - lots of time with a completion date in 2023. Being a complete newbie to the rv world, all these decisions are still rather overwhelming.

This is my first post, so apologies if I've mucked up posting the quote or any etiquette. Any input will be so appreciated.

Lorraine in Pittsburgh
I just did my final build sheet on a 5.0 today-

They’ve cut back some on customized options, trying to maximize profits and speed up production..

Fortunately I needed very little other than what options already provided.
If this helps they deleted my bathroom sink and toilet holder, going with shower hookups only no problem.

I recommend you checking out Fate Unbound on YouTube, for their conversion from dinette to office mod.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote