Must haves, wrong choices and I wish I did. - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #141

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
True, but now it is a lot more quiet without the generators operating......
Somehow my baseline is a time when people generally didn't take generators camping, and all you could hear was the chirping of birds, the gentle hissing of the Coleman stove, and the intermittent screams of enthusiastic kids either having the time of their life or skinning their knees.

So, the solar option may take us back to something closer to that time.

I'm not clear what the ante is to have a lithium-equipped rig with the requisite solar panels and appurtenances, but it's clear that by just by getting a trailer we've already gone in a lot deeper than the cost for the old canvas tent and cotton sleeping bags.

Hopefully the cost of the solar option will continue to become more competitive over time, because I don't see people giving up their interest in using lots of power. Generators are currently the "poor man's" alternative to solar. (Insert eye-roll here for the "poor" folks in their lesser RVs.)
Old 04-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #142

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
With the limited amount of knowledge that I currently have, I am leaning toward the 3-way so that I can use propane if necessary. ...........
With a 3 way fridge, consider propane to be the primary energy source for it, unless you have hookups. Nothing wrong with having the fridge on propane while driving. (Gas stations and some tunnels the exception)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #143

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Once again:

3 way fridge or a 12v compressor fridge?

The 3 way uses much more power while on 12v than a 12v compressor fridge.
And a 12 volt compressor refrigerator uses much more electric power than a 3 way refrigerator does when set to propane.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #144

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
And a 12 volt compressor refrigerator uses much more electric power than a 3 way refrigerator does when set to propane.
"Touche"........
Old 04-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #145

Quote:
Hence why I asked which refridge GTR Guy was considering.........

Remember GTR Guy? The one that had a question....that might be answered without the "pile on" so prevalent on this board?
Old 04-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #146

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Remember GTR Guy? The one that had a question....that might be answered without the "pile on" so prevalent on this board?
You appear to be off-topic.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #147

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
With the limited amount of knowledge that I currently have, I am leaning toward the 3-way so that I can use propane if necessary.

Thanks to all for your help and comments. My 21NE was supposed to ready in April of next year but they have a slot opening if I can get my build sheet ready now.

I am not feeling prepared as I thought that I had a year to learn about the systems ETI offered versus what I could add myself from third party suppliers.
Our 21NE has the 3-way fridge and we are very happy with it. We have used it with propane and also with AC. It has not had any issues thus far. ETI is doing a much better job of insulating the refrigerators than previously.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #148

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have the Dometic 6+ cu ft model #26xxx (some number I don’t recall right now,) in my Sept ‘21 E19. The freezer is great. The fridge we run pretty hard, 4 or 5 on the control all the time and have only once been in a temperature of 80F. Most of the time we are in the 30’s - 60’s F during our travels so far. We have 3 1/2 months of use on it. and it’s not very temperature stable. I have to bounce it between level 4 and 5 all of the time. Mostly it sits around 40F even though I work hard to try to keep it 37-38F. I has gotten to 32F once, but did not freeze the produce, and has gotten up 51F once. I have seen 46-47F several times. I do use a fridge / freezer thermometer, and do run a circulating fan in the fridge. I have also secured the thermistor to the plastic clip so I can easily adjust it. When I can, I’ll insulate better and try to understanding the vent ducting to better dissipate the heat. We plan on heading out on warmer trips soon, and I can’t turn it up past 5. As far as I know, Dinosaur does not yet make a board that would fit and push the fridge cycles a bit more.

My previous RV’s have had better performing Dometic and Norcold fridges than this one. I do not want the solar and lithium expense or limitations for long term boondocking. Also, while I occasionally drive with propane on, I prefer to run the fridge on 12v and typically do so.

My experience to share as you consider fringes.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:19 PM   #149

Trailer: 21NE 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I have the Dometic 6+ cu ft model #26xxx (some number I don’t recall right now,) in my Sept ‘21 E19. The freezer is great. The fridge we run pretty hard, 4 or 5 on the control all the time and have only once been in a temperature of 80F. Most of the time we are in the 30’s - 60’s F during our travels so far. We have 3 1/2 months of use on it. and it’s not very temperature stable. I have to bounce it between level 4 and 5 all of the time. Mostly it sits around 40F even though I work hard to try to keep it 37-38F. I has gotten to 32F once, but did not freeze the produce, and has gotten up 51F once. I have seen 46-47F several times. I do use a fridge / freezer thermometer, and do run a circulating fan in the fridge. I have also secured the thermistor to the plastic clip so I can easily adjust it. When I can, I’ll insulate better and try to understanding the vent ducting to better dissipate the heat. We plan on heading out on warmer trips soon, and I can’t turn it up past 5. As far as I know, Dinosaur does not yet make a board that would fit and push the fridge cycles a bit more.

My previous RV’s have had better performing Dometic and Norcold fridges than this one. I do not want the solar and lithium expense or limitations for long term boondocking. Also, while I occasionally drive with propane on, I prefer to run the fridge on 12v and typically do so.

My experience to share as you consider fringes.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you tend to run the fridge off 12V or propane?
GTR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:24 PM   #150

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
12v when driving, although most don’t due to the current draw. 120 if we have hookups, otherwise propane. I find all 3 give me the same temp (or lack of) control.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:02 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You appear to be off-topic.
Actually.......................No.
The prosecution rests it's case.

A couple of great responses above this on target with actual usable information.............imagine!
Old 04-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #152

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I prefer the 3 way and using it on propane or 120v, not 12V. Trying to cool on 12v is like using your 12v heat pads, you need to be connected for these systems to operate effectively. Thus off you are connected then use the available 120v source!
Not our experience, although Jim might be referring to running the 3-way refrigerator on 12v. We have a NovaKool RFU9000 compressor (2-way) fridge - 12v. The internal volume of the refrigerator is 6.6 cu ft and freezer is 2.2 cu ft. We have 2 lithium batteries and 2 solar panels. We run it on batteries all the time and have never even come close to low battery situation in our first year (almost over). Very happy that we went this way.

A lot of people run 3-way fridge on propane while driving. We did not feel comfortable with the idea - and the thought that we would want/need to turn the propane off when fueling (not everyone does that but perhaps ought to).
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #153
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
but well within the capabiltiies of a roof mountable solar system + LFP batt. I easily could have gotten away with ONE of my 206AH SOK batts (or a pair of battleborn/etc 100AH), instead of the 2 x 206AH I got, but hey, I've always been known for overkill engineering. I wanted to be able to run my full boondock power usage with ZERO sun for a week, which is about how long my watter+holding tanks can go with two of us if we're careful
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
but well within the capabiltiies of a roof mountable solar system + LFP batt. I easily could have gotten away with ONE of my 206AH SOK batts (or a pair of battleborn/etc 100AH), instead of the 2 x 206AH I got, but hey, I've always been known for overkill engineering. I wanted to be able to run my full boondock power usage with ZERO sun for a week, which is about how long my watter+holding tanks can go with two of us if we're careful

Good to hear - I'll have the ETI dual solar / dual lithium / Comp fridge options.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #155

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Not our experience, although Jim might be referring to running the 3-way refrigerator on 12v. We have a NovaKool RFU9000 compressor (2-way) fridge - 12v. The internal volume of the refrigerator is 6.6 cu ft and freezer is 2.2 cu ft. We have 2 lithium batteries and 2 solar panels. We run it on batteries all the time and have never even come close to low battery situation in our first year (almost over). Very happy that we went this way.

A lot of people run 3-way fridge on propane while driving. We did not feel comfortable with the idea - and the thought that we would want/need to turn the propane off when fueling (not everyone does that but perhaps ought to).
We always tow in the "propane" mode and when refueling I always pull into the first pump, leaving the trailer away from the pumps.