My Escape 5.0 Build - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
My Escape 5.0 Build

My wife and I have our build finalization date of Feb 19. We are essentially done with our build sheet and sharing it here for any comments and feedback.

As a background, we are very limited in DIY design and execution capabilities and, therefore, our build choices include everything we might need.
  • Interior Choice: Oak
  • Standard Options:
    • Two-way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V)
    • Foot Flush Toilet
    • Toilet Shut Off Valve (for winterization)
    • Exterior Shower (Driver and/or Passenger Side) Double: One Each Side
    • Lithium Ion Battery (100Ah) - 4
    • Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets) Note: Option requires battery selection
    • 190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller
    • Additional 190W Solar Panel
    • Zamp Solar Port wired to Regulator
    • Electrical Management System with Surge Protector
    • Removable Power Cord
    • LED Awning Light Strip
    • Upgraded Air Conditioner with Bluetooth compatibility (Coleman Mach 10 13,500 BTU) WITH Soft Start
    • Heat Strip for Air Conditioner
    • Number Pad Door Lock (includes key)
    • Tank Level Monitoring System (SeeLevel II)
    • Frameless Windows (including split-opening rear window)
    • Window in Bathroom (opening, frameless)
    • Body Lift Kit (required if truck side wall height exceeds 56")
    • Double Step Entry Step (replaces standard single step)
    • Exterior Access Hatch (rear passenger side)
    • Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (low pressure)
    • Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer with 2 x 12V Heat Pads
    • Convert Bench Seat to U-Shaped Dinette
    • Stainless Steel Backsplash in Kitchen
    • Lagun Adjustable Swiveling Table Mount
    • Only available with U-shaped dinette
  • Customized Options:
    • Reinforced Walls -#5
    • Exterior 12V/USB Outlet (passenger side, under rear clearance light)
    • Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet - #2, #3, #4, #5, #6
    • Additional Exterior LED Light (centered at rear of trailer, located above belly band)
    • Additional LED Captains Reading Lamp - #1, #2
    • Counter Extension - #1, #2, #3, #4
    • Retractable Wall Hooks (3 hooks per set) - #1, #2, #5, #6
    • Standard Flooring: Shadow Grey #557
    • Standard Formica: Mineral Jet #3450-58
    • Trim Choice: Black
    • Custom Fabric (Price for single fabric) Sunbrella Spotlight Flame
    • Full Wrap on Cushions (Custom fabric)
    • Graphics Colour: Dark Grey #855
    • MODIFY u-shape dinette - extend depth of rear bench by 4" increasing it from 18" to 22"
    • MODIFY cushion to fit modified u-shape dinette
    • MODIFY std table accordingly so u-shape dinette can convert to a bed
    • INCREASE thickness of back cushion for along back wall from std 2" to 4"
    • SPLIT back cushion
    • SPLIT seat cushion
    • SPLIT plywood bench seat
    • INSTALL Cx provided Nova Kool 9000U compressor fridge
    • INSTALL Cx provided Dickinson Marine 2 burner cooktop
    • INSTALL Cx provided Houzer E-100 sink
    • INSTALL electrical hatch at rear of trailer to right of spare tire
    • INSTALL 12V Camera drop - wire to rear OH clearance lights and terminate in the rear OH cabinet
    • INSTALL 12V drop coil inside PS dinette bench seat near electrical hatch (this is for the cell phone signal booster)
  • Additional Options:
    • Filled Propane Tanks
    • Water Pressure Regulator
    • Leveling Blocks (Set of 10)
    • Sewer Tube Kit (includes adapter)
    • Additional sewer tube holder (for storage purposes)
    • Sand Pads (set of 2)
    • Step Cover

We will have a 2021 F150 hybrid as our TV. It includes a 7.2 kW generator (an option). That gives us an alternative for charging the batteries in case the Sun is not kind to us or the two solar panels are not adequate for keeping the batteries charged.

We plan to add the following items aftermarket -
  • Cell phone signal booster: Still deciding between WeBoost RV65 vs. InReach.
  • Tie Down points inside the camper - to secure items we might need to carry inside the trailer while driving
  • Rear view camera: Ford. We do have trailer tow mirrors on the F150, so might be able to live without it initially
  • Trailer tire pressure monitoring system: Ford
The details are not clear yet but I understand that using the Ford camera might require a wired connection (wire across the roof). The benefit is that, in addition to the high resolution rear view available in the large display panel in the infotainment system of the truck, it integrates with Ford's systems - including the blind spot information system. The tire pressure monitoring system has lower integration requirements but it'd be good it it were integrated into the TV's system as well.

We will need but have to yet to finalize technical help to do these modifications. If someone good comes to mind in WA, OR (aside from UT), please share that (in a PM or otherwise). We could get these done as we gingerly make our way back from Sumas, WA to Salt Lake City.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Looks very good!!

I assume you are combining the manual awning with the frameless windows so will know you need to be careful of stowing the awning.

Questions:
1. I'm interested in the tie downs. Will they be mounted in the floor?
2. What's going to be behind the electrical hatch at the back. Is this how you plan to connect your Cellular boost antenna to the booster?
Old 01-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
Looks very good!!

I assume you are combining the manual awning with the frameless windows so will know you need to be careful of stowing the awning.

Questions:
1. I'm interested in the tie downs. Will they be mounted in the floor?
2. What's going to be behind the electrical hatch at the back. Is this how you plan to connect your Cellular boost antenna to the booster?
We are sort of aware of the conflict with frameless windows and manual awning... Will know more when we get the camper. Not too worried - as our awning use will likely be modest.

Tie Downs: To be honest, I was (am) going to start a thread to seek advice on this. We may want to / need to store some items (TBD) in the camper while traveling. This could be to not subtract the weight of such items from the GVWR/payload of the TV, or to keep them out of wet weather while towing. But, we would want to secure them properly. So, that's the need. I need guidance as to whether and how others are addressing it.

Another thing that I am curious about is how other owners ensure that the doors of the refrigerator and some of the cabinets stay closed during travel. I am not sure if tie downs can help here but it is a topic that is of interest. ETI does not seem to offer anything in this area.

Electric Hatch + 12V drop in Dinette: This related to the planned cell phone signal booster installation. The thought is that the cable from the external antenna enters through the hatch and the booster can be installed in underneath dinette bench - to be connected to the internal antenna in the dinette area.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Another thing that I am curious about is how other owners ensure that the doors of the refrigerator and some of the cabinets stay closed during travel. I am not sure if tie downs can help here but it is a topic that is of interest. ETI does not seem to offer anything in this area.
The door latch on the current model of fridge seems plenty secure and we have never had a problem with fridge/freezer doors coming open. The only cabinet door we had an issue with was the pantry - it's large with a simple friction latch. We have an Elfa drawer in the lower section, generally full of heavy food items, and apparently going around a corner it popped the door open once and then, by luck, a big speed bump was just right to dump all the contents out on the floor. So I added a small bolt latch at the bottom of the pantry door to secure it during travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry 1.jpg   Pantry latch 1.jpg   Pantry Latch 2.jpg  
Old 01-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

Thank you, David! That's a really neat solution! Also good to know about the refrigerator doors. Many thanks!
Old 01-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The cabinets all have pretty solid framing along the edges and corners - after you have your trailer and determine what you want to carry inside and where it fits best, it wouldn't be hard to install a few eye hooks and use either bungees or cord tie-downs to secure items.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #7

Thank you! That's great to know.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
When I consider that my 5TA was built in March 2019 (not even quite 2 years ago!) and I look at KAVM's option list, it's amazing to me how many options he has that were not available just two years ago including all new appliances, air conditioner, designer choices, backsplash, lithium batteries and on and on, WOW Escape are really upgrading their units a lot as each year goes by!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Wow that is going to be one nice 5.0. You have certainly done your homework. You’ll be very happy with the Dickinson cooktop. With that, the NovaKool fridge, Carefree manual awning and Coleman A/C the only thing made by pathetic Dometic will be the furnace.

Enjoy it!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #10

Thank you!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Did you get confirmation from Escape to install the customer supplied fridge and Dickenson cooktop? When I asked, I was told they couldn’t install a customer supplied compressor fridge or the Dickenson cooktop.

Quote:
My wife and I have our build finalization date of Feb 19. We are essentially done with our build sheet and sharing it here for any comments and feedback.

As a background, we are very limited in DIY design and execution capabilities and, therefore, our build choices include everything we might need.
  • Interior Choice: Oak
  • Standard Options:
    • Two-way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V)
    • Foot Flush Toilet
    • Toilet Shut Off Valve (for winterization)
    • Exterior Shower (Driver and/or Passenger Side) Double: One Each Side
    • Lithium Ion Battery (100Ah) - 4
    • Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets) Note: Option requires battery selection
    • 190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller
    • Additional 190W Solar Panel
    • Zamp Solar Port wired to Regulator
    • Electrical Management System with Surge Protector
    • Removable Power Cord
    • LED Awning Light Strip
    • Upgraded Air Conditioner with Bluetooth compatibility (Coleman Mach 10 13,500 BTU) WITH Soft Start
    • Heat Strip for Air Conditioner
    • Number Pad Door Lock (includes key)
    • Tank Level Monitoring System (SeeLevel II)
    • Frameless Windows (including split-opening rear window)
    • Window in Bathroom (opening, frameless)
    • Body Lift Kit (required if truck side wall height exceeds 56")
    • Double Step Entry Step (replaces standard single step)
    • Exterior Access Hatch (rear passenger side)
    • Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (low pressure)
    • Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer with 2 x 12V Heat Pads
    • Convert Bench Seat to U-Shaped Dinette
    • Stainless Steel Backsplash in Kitchen
    • Lagun Adjustable Swiveling Table Mount
    • Only available with U-shaped dinette
  • Customized Options:
    • Reinforced Walls -#5
    • Exterior 12V/USB Outlet (passenger side, under rear clearance light)
    • Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet - #2, #3, #4, #5, #6
    • Additional Exterior LED Light (centered at rear of trailer, located above belly band)
    • Additional LED Captains Reading Lamp - #1, #2
    • Counter Extension - #1, #2, #3, #4
    • Retractable Wall Hooks (3 hooks per set) - #1, #2, #5, #6
    • Standard Flooring: Shadow Grey #557
    • Standard Formica: Mineral Jet #3450-58
    • Trim Choice: Black
    • Custom Fabric (Price for single fabric) Sunbrella Spotlight Flame
    • Full Wrap on Cushions (Custom fabric)
    • Graphics Colour: Dark Grey #855
    • MODIFY u-shape dinette - extend depth of rear bench by 4" increasing it from 18" to 22"
    • MODIFY cushion to fit modified u-shape dinette
    • MODIFY std table accordingly so u-shape dinette can convert to a bed
    • INCREASE thickness of back cushion for along back wall from std 2" to 4"
    • SPLIT back cushion
    • SPLIT seat cushion
    • SPLIT plywood bench seat
    • INSTALL Cx provided Nova Kool 9000U compressor fridge
    • INSTALL Cx provided Dickinson Marine 2 burner cooktop
    • INSTALL Cx provided Houzer E-100 sink
    • INSTALL electrical hatch at rear of trailer to right of spare tire
    • INSTALL 12V Camera drop - wire to rear OH clearance lights and terminate in the rear OH cabinet
    • INSTALL 12V drop coil inside PS dinette bench seat near electrical hatch (this is for the cell phone signal booster)
  • Additional Options:
    • Filled Propane Tanks
    • Water Pressure Regulator
    • Leveling Blocks (Set of 10)
    • Sewer Tube Kit (includes adapter)
    • Additional sewer tube holder (for storage purposes)
    • Sand Pads (set of 2)
    • Step Cover

We will have a 2021 F150 hybrid as our TV. It includes a 7.2 kW generator (an option). That gives us an alternative for charging the batteries in case the Sun is not kind to us or the two solar panels are not adequate for keeping the batteries charged.

We plan to add the following items aftermarket -
  • Cell phone signal booster: Still deciding between WeBoost RV65 vs. InReach.
  • Tie Down points inside the camper - to secure items we might need to carry inside the trailer while driving
  • Rear view camera: Ford. We do have trailer tow mirrors on the F150, so might be able to live without it initially
  • Trailer tire pressure monitoring system: Ford
The details are not clear yet but I understand that using the Ford camera might require a wired connection (wire across the roof). The benefit is that, in addition to the high resolution rear view available in the large display panel in the infotainment system of the truck, it integrates with Ford's systems - including the blind spot information system. The tire pressure monitoring system has lower integration requirements but it'd be good it it were integrated into the TV's system as well.

We will need but have to yet to finalize technical help to do these modifications. If someone good comes to mind in WA, OR (aside from UT), please share that (in a PM or otherwise). We could get these done as we gingerly make our way back from Sumas, WA to Salt Lake City.
M_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #12

The short answer is yes. We have received approval for these - as of last year (Oct/Nov) and have acquired the items and delivered them to ETI.

The long answer involves some context -
  • ETI has expressed interested in options around compressor fridge that it could offer to the customers in the future. However, there was (is?) a supply issue around the time it was exploring the options in this area. I was in an active dialog with them around this time - arguing the case for RFU9000. They were interested but could not get their hand on one due to the supply issues, and I proposed to acquire one and provide that to ETI. They might well have an interest evaluating it as a future option using my build as a test case. There too is the context of 4 lithium battery configuration. While ETI has offered them as an option, I am not sure how many have taken it up. I did, but my interest was contingent on getting a larger compressor fridge. So, I would not be surprised that my build serves as a new experience / exploration of new and future options for ETI, and they want to evaluate how it goes before signing up for additional installs.
  • ETI seems to be trying to get a handle on the customizations it commits to for production efficiency and meeting higher demand. The cooktop has been installed for many in the past. Seems like it might be discouraged/discontinued now.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
ETI seems to be trying to get a handle on the customizations it commits to for production efficiency and meeting higher demand. The cooktop has been installed for many in the past. Seems like it might be discouraged/discontinued now.
It is really a shame that ETI may no longer consider installing the Dickinson cooktop as it really is a superb unit. Could easily be customer supplied (as you have done) or offered as an option. Dickinson Marine is located in Surrey less than an hour from Escape. This is especially important considering the propane odor issues and potential design fault with the Suburban SDS2 that has been highlighted on the forum. For the customer that might be interested in a DIY it is complicated by the fact that the SDS2 cut-out is slightly bigger in one dimension than the Dickinson so a swap after delivery would be a bit more challenging. j3cub was supposed to take it on but I haven't heard back.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #14

@rubicon327 - To be clear, I have no information suggesting that ETI will not install the Dickinson cooktop - other than what is posted by M_canada here. I have no idea of the context of that conversation - the version of the camper, whether this is pre-deposit or not, whether M_canada asked for Dickinson cooktop specifically or a customer provided cooktop in general. I was rationalizing what M_canada said in his or her post in the part of my message you quoted.

ETI did not push back on that choice for me as recently as November and I have been very happy with their sympathetic and rational consideration and accommodation of customer desire in our dialog.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Might be the supply on the Dickinson's Dave. They're very hard to come by when I've checked them lately and ETI may not want to worry with it as an option.
Still would think they'd install it if you shipped them one, but maybe it's more time consuming to install than the one's they offer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #16

Yes, there is a serious supply problem with Dickinson cooktop into March. I had gathered that and promptly bought for my camper, confirming that it was in stock. I had held the shipment to ETI as they are constrained on storage.

The retailer who sold me my unit came back to me a couple weeks later saying that it was out of stock and will be in stock in March. I threw a fit as I had paid for it weeks earlier. So, he "found" one unit for me. I think it was a case of him wanting to sell the unit I had bought but not shipped, and my throwing a fit made him change his mind. But, it confirmed the supply problem.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Hi. I had asked a few weeks ago during the configuration phase of the 21NE we are building with a completion date of April 27, 2021. Here is the exact question and the response I received:

Question: “Can you install a Dickinson 00-2BP two-burner cooktop instead of the standard one? If so, do I need to supply it?”

Response: “We are not able to do this at this time. You can request to have the standard cooktop deleted and receive a credit and install the appliance afterwards.”

I haven’t discussed it any further with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Might be the supply on the Dickinson's Dave. They're very hard to come by when I've checked them lately and ETI may not want to worry with it as an option.
Still would think they'd install it if you shipped them one, but maybe it's more time consuming to install than the one's they offer.
M_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #18

The best place for that discussion is between you and your sales facilitator at ETI.

However, it is useful to note that your conversation pertains to a different model of Escape. The build I posted is an Escape 5.0.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
If you don't have a bigger sink... get it! You use your sink several times a day. Wish I had done that.

Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #20

We have a Houzer E-100 sink that we supplied to ETI. As far as we knew, this was the largest we could fit in within the acceptable dimensions.