My Purchase Chronology starting 09/09/2020 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #61

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We really like having a secure handrail going down the stairs in the middle of the night - having that bath wall reinforced makes it possible to locate a handrail anywhere in the middle of that wall.

The only wall we reinforced in our 5.0 was that bathroom wall. We have the identical angled grab rail and a Umbra Organizer with Coat Hooks, that we hang coats from all the time and my glasses are stored in the Umbra when I'm not wearing them.

The only other wall we considered reinforcing was the fridge/dinette wall. Linda talked us out of reinforcing the fridge/dinette wall and we've yet to see a reason for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just quickly revisiting this .... ordering the 'standard' single 12V battery in anticipation of an upgrade to a different / higher-capacity single 12v AGM might bear further consideration ILO the 2x6v option. That might be a bit better in terms of installed weight and economics, further study required.

I'll visit with ETI but it's my understanding that they won't deliver with No Battery Installed, which makes some sense in consideration of breakaway-brakes, noxious gas detectors, etc and associated liability if those aren't functional 'as delivered'.

Maybe, just maybe, by the time mine's ready for pickup we'll be able to enter Canada for orientation and install of a BYOBattery at Chilliwack before leaving to take delivery of the trailer in Sumas. I can only hope, I'd dearly love the opportunity to meet the ETI folks in person, personally thank the ever-patient and helpful Linda Fedoruk, even if masked and distanced!
Just remember, if you get a single battery, your battery box will be smaller whereas the dual 6 volt set up gives you an extra large vented battery box. Something that maybe hard to find when doing an upgrade later....
Old 10-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #63

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
What the heck, let's float this out for comment and constructive critique

The (plus) refers to notes that may give some insights into the rationale (or is it rationalization ) behind it all

Context .... retired solo traveler, over 60 (ahem, well over), well-equipped woodworking and mechanical workshop and love doing things with my hands.

"Draft" is a key word and time for finalizing is a commodity I've got lots of
Alan: That is a really light factory options list and a serious list of owner mods. Are you going to have any time to camp?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #64

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Alan: That is a really light factory options list and a serious list of owner mods. Are you going to have any time to camp?
Hey, rubicon327, thanks for checking in here, your insights are always appreciated!

Insofar as the 'light options list', it's just what I ended-up with after going through things multiple-times asking "Do I need or would I appreciate this item?" and lots of reading about other's experiences and preferences.

Please, do comment on my rationale (or rationalization?) if you've got any specific suggestions - I'm not inherently averse to more options from ETI or anything like that, that's why I floated this out for comment

Insofar as the mods and time to camp (taking that as an 'almost in jest' comment, but with a good point) .... granted, it looks serious when all put together at one time in one place, but actually I think not so much more than many others here have done over a period of time.

Yeah, the shower mod I assigned 'priority 1' is necessary to render the trailer fully functional so that relatively quick (couple of days at most) mod must be done ASAP upon return from Sumas.

But then it's off on camping, hopefully lots of it, of various trip-lengths likely remaining within Texas / adjacent states for that first winter after August pickup.

Perhaps worth pointing-out that the "priority" I assigned is more an indicator of sequence of mods than an indicator of elapsed time between them and how that would adversely impact actual camping. All of this could well take a period of years and 'off-seasons'.

Part of what I've yet to learn is how long I enjoy trailering in any one trip. I don't envision ever getting into 'full-timing' or even 'many-months on the road', but hey, who knows!

“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F. Amen, Mr. Feather!
Old 10-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Please, do comment on my rationale (or rationalization?) if you've got any specific suggestions - I'm not inherently averse to more options from ETI or anything like that, that's why I floated this out for comment

Insofar as the mods and time to camp (taking that as an 'almost in jest' comment, but with a good point) .... granted, it looks serious when all put together at one time in one place, but actually I think not so much more than many others here have done over a period of time.
Alan: I'll take a closer look at your rationale for/against options and see if I have a counterpoints for you to consider. The comment about time to camp was made partially in jest. Without knowing your acceptable time frame to complete your list it was impossible for me to understand your perspective and expectations. Many of us do enjoy modifying our trailers as much as camping but on the other hand the work is sometimes difficult due to the confined space. Some of us also have more time and skill than others. I just don't want to see you potentially frustrated with an overly generous list of mods/adds when the options could have easily been added at the factory (i.e. outside spray port/shower, exterior access hatch).
Old 10-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #66

Quote:
.... I just don't want to see you potentially frustrated with an overly generous list of mods/adds when the options could have easily been added at the factory (i.e. outside spray port/shower, exterior access hatch).
I do sincerely appreciate all of your very valid comments and concerns - they do give me pause for serious thought and reconsideration, and for that I Thank You!
Old 11-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #67

Exclamation Incremental Update, Custom Flooring and Mini-split Accommodation (or lack thereof)

Two updates relating to items I've been discussing with ETI on my build:

1. Relating to custom flooring choices / accommodation of top-grade vinyl, a bit of disappointment detailed in this post
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post364077

2. Relating to custom modifications in preparation for DIY install of the Fujitsu Mini-split AC/heat-pump, a bit of welcome good news detailed in this post
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post364068

Cross-posting here for the sake of completeness of this "chronology".
Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #68

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Two updates relating to items I've been discussing with ETI on my build:

Relating to custom flooring choices / accommodation of top-grade vinyl, a bit of disappointment detailed in this post
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post364077
Why not just get a standard flooring and add a click lock floor on top of it in the actual area that is visible and you walk on later? Why pay for premium flooring inside cabinets and under the bed?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #69

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Why not just get a standard flooring and add a click lock floor on top of it in the actual area that is visible and you walk on later? Why pay for premium flooring inside cabinets and under the bed?
That's why it's only a bit of a disappointment, nothing major. Yep, this is the tiny push I needed to install quality cork flooring (I love the stuff, YMMV) over one of the ETI standard choices, no worries!

BTW, it's a 5.0, no vinyl flooring under the bed in any case
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #70

Exclamation DC-DC Charger Update from ETI

FYI for those exercising any of the ETI Lithium Battery Options ....

A while back I queried ETI about the Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 DC-DC charger which they told me would be included with Lithium battery options; I pointed-out the wire gauge Victron specifies for the circuit from the TV battery to that particular DC-DC charger (6AWG) and asked whether ETI was meeting that Victron spec.

In response ETI tells me they are now changing to the ".... Victron Orion Smart TR Isolated 12/12-18 charger. This will work with standard 10AWG vehicle wiring and 25A fuse, nominal charging from the alternator will be 18A. This device will provide safe charging of trailer lithium batteries from the tow vehicle."

Just FYI
Old 12-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #71

More just FYI in the chronology .... a while back I was offered a slightly earlier completion date by ETI; though tempted, I elected to pass on the opportunity.

I've become comfortable with my original mid-August completion date, it works well with several other things happening on the personal home-front, and I'm really hoping that by then there will be an open border so I can visit Chilliwack in person.

Time will tell, no worries in any case, in it for 'the long haul'
Old 12-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
More just FYI in the chronology .... a while back I was offered a slightly earlier completion date by ETI; though tempted, I elected to pass on the opportunity.

I've become comfortable with my original mid-August completion date, it works well with several other things happening on the personal home-front, and I'm really hoping that by then there will be an open border so I can visit Chilliwack in person.

Good choice. We have made the trip twice (2015 and 2019) from Houston in August. It’s great to get out of the Texas heat and the weather and scenery gets better as you drive north.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #73

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you, Centex! That is helpful. We are taking up the Escape lithium battery option in our build.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #74

Exclamation Update from ETI Re: refrigerator options

Just FYI, an update from Linda Fedoruk regarding refrigerator options I've been discussing with ETI ("They" in this email quote being ETI production folks) ...

"They have agreed to building a cabinet above the 5 cubic foot compressor fridge in the 21C but I’m still waiting for confirmation that is doable in the 5.0. It has been decided that all trailers will have both the roof and side fridge vents installed no matter which fridge is selected."

This reply is in the context of exploring install of the smaller 5 cu ft compressor fridge instead of the standard 3-way fridge in my 5.0TA. I've now told Linda to drop further investigation about the cabinet, given this reply I'll stick with the standard larger 3-way (might have pursued the compressor model if that had eliminated the lower side vent cutout).

Linda has been a trooper, patiently putting up with my many 'customizing explorations'.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #75

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Just received this from the incredibly helpful and ever patient Linda Fedoruk in response to my inquiry about what's included in each option line-item. I provided the matrix outline requesting correction and addition of missing data.

Useful for my solar planning and decision making, perhaps of interest to others as well.

As always - anything / everything subject to change!

[edited twice to correct errors in attached table]
Thanks for the chart. One question about the Inverter. The sheet states that the Inverter options require one of the optional battery selections. Does that mean you can’t get the Inverter without buying at least one lithium battery?
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Thanks for the chart. One question about the Inverter. The sheet states that the Inverter options require one of the optional battery selections. Does that mean you can’t get the Inverter without buying at least one lithium battery?
No. An optional selection of dual 6V lead acid qualifies. That is what Escape has used with their 1500W inverter for many years now.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
No, ETI just won't install the inverter with the base standard single 12V battery - you can get it with the dual 6 volt battery option as well as any of the lithium options.

Please note a later post in this thread about the DC-DC charger change not reflected in that chart. Sorry, I can't go back and edit the chart post to reflect that change by ETI.

Ooops, Rubicon got it, thank you!
Old 12-13-2020, 12:53 AM   #78

Quote:
FYI for those exercising any of the ETI Lithium Battery Options ....

A while back I queried ETI about the Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 DC-DC charger which they told me would be included with Lithium battery options; I pointed-out the wire gauge Victron specifies for the circuit from the TV battery to that particular DC-DC charger (6AWG) and asked whether ETI was meeting that Victron spec.

In response ETI tells me they are now changing to the ".... Victron Orion Smart TR Isolated 12/12-18 charger. This will work with standard 10AWG vehicle wiring and 25A fuse, nominal charging from the alternator will be 18A. This device will provide safe charging of trailer lithium batteries from the tow vehicle."

Just FYI
Please update your matrix.

I see you just mentioned this above. Can you just repost the updated version? It is very useful.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #79

Exclamation Updated electrical equipment matrix

Quote:
Please update your matrix.

I see you just mentioned this above. Can you just repost the updated version? It is very useful.
Ask and ye shall receive, no worries! Glad it may be of use to some.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Escape Trailer Electrical and Solar Options Matrix REV 12-13-2020.jpg  
Old 12-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #80

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive, no worries! Glad it may be of use to some.
Thanks. Not to nitpick but when comparing lead acid to lithium one really needs to consider “usable” amp-hours. The dual 6V’s at say 100Ah+/- usable (50% discharge) are close to being on par with one 12V lithium that can be safely discharged much further. Dual lithium listed at 200Ah will be almost double the usable amp hours of the dual 6V lead acid. Three lithium triple the usable amp hours, etc.