My Purchase Chronology starting 09/09/2020 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #141

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I can add that after doing two of these installations that if you have a unit with a height any greater than the Fujitsu 9 or 12 RL2 (10-5/16") it will absolutely not fit in the cabinet. You will end up having to cut out the bottom of the cabinet. The height really is the most critical dimension if you want it to rest on the existing cabinet bottom. I think this looks the best and if done right even looks like it could be a factory installation.
Hey Rubicon, thanks for the guidance. I'm going to study the Fujitsu further. I really appreciate the help!
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #142

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation always learning (and hopefully improving as a result) ...

More electrical system nuance and minutia for those inclined to follow such ...

Failing to find explicit mention in the detailed Instructions I sent an email inquiry to xantrex about operation of the Freedom XC without a battery connected but while connected to Shore Power.

I thought the Q worthwhile because previous inquiry about the same to AIMS regarding their 'competitive' unit (which I almost bought) revealed that unit does not provide shore power converter functionality without a battery connected.

Eureka! Today xantrex replied that the Freedom XC does function as a converter ("power supply" in their words) at the programmed constant 'float' voltage output value (e.g. ~13.5V) when connected to Shore Power even without a battery connected.

That means that with appropriate wiring/switching one can be plugged into shore power, enjoy use of all DC equipment, but preclude charging of the battery from shore power; one can limit battery charging to solar-charging or none at all if one wishes.

This charging control flexibility has attraction for me, I've revised my schematic to take advantage of this capability (no components added or removed, just relocated the battery disconnect and terminus for the output from the Victron Solar Controller which retains its own disconnect).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESCAPE 5.0 ELECTRICAL UPGRADES 06-08-2021.pdf (299.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #143

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
This charging control flexibility has attraction for me, I've revised my schematic to take advantage of this capability (no components added or removed, just relocated the battery disconnect and terminus for the output from the Victron Solar Controller which retains its own disconnect).
Alan: You may want to consider moving the terminus of the breakaway brake switch connection to the other side of the new disconnect as well. Otherwise you will need to ensure the switch is turned back into the appropriate position before towing. I rather not have to worry about it and want the breakaway always hot.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #144

Thumbs up

Quote:
Alan: You may want to consider moving the terminus of the breakaway brake switch connection to the other side of the new disconnect as well. Otherwise you will need to ensure the switch is turned back into the appropriate position before towing. I rather not have to worry about it and want the breakaway always hot.
Welcome and valid point, Dave, thanks for taking a look and I'll revise accordingly!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #145

So here's a scheme (massing diagram) for arrangement of the 'electrical utility bay' with things jammed to the smallest space in consideration of minimum recommended cooling clearances. I'll probably end-up with something close to this, may find I need to extend the length of the 'utility bay' to the rear a bit, slightly reducing the open storage behind.
Attached Thumbnails
DINETTE UTILITY BAY R6.jpg  
Old 06-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #146

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
You sure have fun. I can tell.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #147

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
You sure have fun. I can tell.
Thanks, it usually just seems the thing to do, comes naturally, and I hope it's contagious

(perhaps a lifelong holdover from youthful indoctrination in The Brotherhood of Cheerful Service - WWW )
Old 06-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #148

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I do like to planning and design work, I used to do this for the National Park Service. (iT)
Sound system design as well as recording live concerts (for the Rock Hall in Cleveland ). So your careful planning of your electrical systems is fun to watch. I’ll delve into upgrades this fall after my six weeks on the road.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #149

Exclamation A Late Build Change

From this date it's 32 days to my GCD.

While waiting I've continued to play with the details of my solar upgrades plan (no surprise there ). Most components are 'set', I have the 400Ah BestGo LiFePO4 Battery, the xantrex 3kW inverter/converter, and the Victron 150-60 MPPT controller already in-hand along with other misc bits.

But insofar as PV panels, between supply chain issues and my own indecision I'm still 'pending' on that item. Here's the latest thinking ...
  • I'm still focused on an array of ~200W rigid panels, either 3 or 4 for 600-800 rated watts.
  • I'm moving away from the notion of tilting mounts, especially with an 800W rated array. I'm realizing that with 'rated' 800W I should get plenty of actual harvest to meet my demands even without 'optimized tilt'; Elimination of tilting mounts greatly simplifies fabrication / installation, allows more assuredly robust mounting, and eliminates an 'activity / chore' relating to camp setup (even if done infrequently).
  • Even with elimination of the rear roof vent / AC cutout (per my approved build sheet in consideration of a bumper-mount mini-split AC) I can't fit an 800W array on the rear-slope of the roof behind the front standard Maxfan- one panel would have to go on the front slope; I'd rather not have that.
  • So, the late change ETI just agreed to accommodate yesterday - they will eliminate the standard front Maxfan roof cutout and headliner cutout; the Maxfan will be delivered 'loose'. Without the Maxfan in its standard location I can fit 800W of PV array on the rear roof, no problem.
  • I'll definitely still install the Maxfan, but in a slightly different location depending on the final solar array configuration.
For me it's much easier to cut a hole, frame an opening, and snake power wires than it is to fill and patch the outside and inside of a hole, especially the interior headliner which of course I want to look great and totally 'as original' without any visible patches.

This approach gives me ultimate flexibility insofar as rooftop PV arrangements, some examples shown in the attachment. The Rich and Grape panels are both on my list of possibilities and though all of these 200W rigid panels are close to the same size, inches matter and these represent the size range of candidates (the Rich being slightly smaller than the Grape):
Attached Thumbnails
PV LAYOUTS RICH-GRAPE.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #150

(cross-link to build pics to keep this purchase chronology thread complete)

Alan E's 5.0 - First batch of pics
Old 07-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #151

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
(cross-link to build pics to keep this purchase chronology thread complete)

Alan E's 5.0 - First batch of pics
Congrats Alan! Glad to see that production of your Escape has finally started. You may have your lithium battery / Xantrex inverter/charger upgrade working before me!
Old 07-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #152

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Looks like a nice solid roof with no cutouts....bet you were relieved to see that!
Old 07-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #153

Quote:
Congrats Alan! Glad to see that production of your Escape has finally started. You may have your lithium battery / Xantrex inverter/charger upgrade working before me!
Thanks, Dave, but don't bet anything (much less the farm) on my mods schedule!

I've got a growing list of things to 'verify' ASAP upon getting home, from brakes and bearings to cooktop nuts to LP and water system pressure/all-fittings integrity checks, etc.

Then getting that shower installed so I can take some local 'get acquainted' trips - the major stuff won't even start until I've taken time to 'walk through the projects' and finalize details with the trailer in hand. Haste is my nemesis - gotta avoid that!
Old 07-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Looks like a nice solid roof with no cutouts....bet you were relieved to see that!
Well, yes, but then I noticed the escape hatch isn't cutout in the headliner either, so lacking a rooftop view of the shell (which aren't typically seen in build-pics) I'm only 'guardedly optimistic' at this moment (keeping the fingers crossed for a few more days )
Old 07-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #155

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Quote:
  • I'm moving away from the notion of tilting mounts, especially with an 800W rated array. I'm realizing that with 'rated' 800W I should get plenty of actual harvest to meet my demands even without 'optimized tilt'; Elimination of tilting mounts greatly simplifies fabrication / installation, allows more assuredly robust mounting, and eliminates an 'activity / chore' relating to camp setup (even if done infrequently).
Using fixed mounts makes a lot of sense when tilting has limited impact on power. I had not considered tilting until I saw some affordable bi-facial panels, like this 435W Panel for $215 from Santan. It produces power from both front and rear face. The reflectivity of the white fiberglass gel coat could make tilting this panel produce a more significant contribution to power.

Anyway, lots of constraints to work with, and this is just one aspect.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #156

Exclamation Another milestone in my purchase saga!

Some of you may have been following my trailer's build-progress in the "It's Friday..." thread.

Apart from that I decided to proceed with final payment to ensure no delay in delivery and documentation processes at ETI (I had made no payments other than the minimum required $2k USD deposit). That was a tad interesting due to differing banking policies in the US (nothing to do with ETI policies) ...

It turned out that the bank where my funds were earning interest for me (Synchrony Online Bank) will not under any circumstance wire funds to a Canadian recipient, even through a US intermediary bank as offered by ETI's excellent detailed wire-transfer instructions.

Grrr, Synchrony has been a good bank for me but omission of that policy detail from their wire-transfer FAQ was a time-wasting frustration . Fortunately Synchrony was able to effect an immediate wire transfer of the funds to my small-town USA local bank checking account at no charge.

I took the detailed wire transfer instructions to my small-town local bank and they had no problem whatsoever following those to effect the wire transfer via ETI's intermediary bank (Kudos for small-town banks that deal with international USD wire transfers for the benefit of their customers ).

So, this morning, two days after the frustrating 'decline' by Synchrony, ETI sent me acknowledgment of receipt of funds in the form of a revised Build Sheet showing "Balance Due = $0.00" and including my VIN, QAI Certification number, and QAI nameplate number.

YaaHoo, it's another little bit of necessary progress!

Yes, I'm requesting the 'final completion walk-through video' mentioned by Karl in a recent YouTube as 'available if requested'.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #157

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Alan,

It definitely becomes more real when the money leaves your account. Sorry you had so much hassle with Synchrony. We were transferring it from Fidelity and the experience was quite smooth, one phone call and then enter the details on the online form...

We never got the option of the final completion walk-through video or all the QAI items you mention. That seems like a good addition!

You are very close now. All the best with your delivery!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #158

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
you have to be getting excited now..
Old 08-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #159

Trailer: 2021 21NE
So excited for you! We are closing in on our final transactions as well. ��
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
... Sorry you had so much hassle with Synchrony...
In the big scheme it was really a minor frustration and all worked out just fine. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all, but it's part of the chronology of my purchase adventure. Thanks for your well-wishes, Kav..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
So excited for you! We are closing in on our final transactions as well.
Thanks, and have fun with yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
you have to be getting excited now..
For sure, this 'olde phart' feeling like a kid on his birthday

The excitement compounded by undamaged/perfectly intact delivery this afternoon of four Grape Solar GS-STAR-200W solar panels destined for the roof of this trailer (Thanks to vendor AM Solar, drop-shipper Grape Solar Mfg., and courier FedEx ).