My Purchase Chronology starting 09/09/2020 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #101

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
We get our 21NE in April...we live in San Antonio.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #102

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
We get our 21NE in April...we live in San Antonio.
Now you need to change/update your avatar to reflect your new Escape...
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #103

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation Formal Configuration Milestone at last!

Well, the kickoff of my "Configuration Stage" is finally upon me (this coming week)

So many advance discussions have been had via email with the ever-patient Linda Fedoruk at ETI, and so much gained from this forum (), that I think I'm already (finally?) settled on everything as reflected in the attached Build Sheet (a couple of items TBD, none of them significant).

Here's the status of the major alternatives considered over the past months:
  • Slider windows on the sides and bath with the available flush (opening) option on the rear. Settled in balance of the many pros and cons.
  • Manual Awning. Settled in balance of the many pros and cons.
  • Straight dinette, no U-shape, no pre-installed table support (gonna live with it for awhile before deciding table solution). Settled in balance of the many pros and cons.
  • Committed to DIY minisplit AC per Dave's (rubicon327) proven approach; a few items on the Build Sheet to accommodate that.
  • Committed to no-sink in the bath, DIY shower valve and sprayer, again some custom accommodations by ETI for that. This is the sole DIY required to render the trailer fully-functional (with shower), it's an easy and quick effort that I'll be ready for ASAP upon getting the trailer.
  • Committed to DIY solar and electrical upgrades, so no options ordered along those lines from ETI (trailer will be fully functional with standard equipment as delivered).
  • Galley with standard 2-burner stove and sink; Dickinson 2-burner stove, alternate sink, and PS galley cabinet overhaul likely as future DIY mods.
  • Standard generous 3-way refrigerator. Though future mods to the DS galley cabinets are quite likely, compressor refrigeration is off-the-table, I just can't see forfeiting the benefits of the propane refrigeration alternative for boondocking (the compressor alternative would require disproportionate solar/battery stuff for assured boondocking refrigeration, IMO).
  • Pass on ETI's microwave options, I'll go with one of the many aftermarket solutions.
So, final comments and suggestions welcome, but please understand that at least regarding the 'hot buttons' of windows, awnings, dinette seating arrangements, and spray-foam all of the many legitimate and compelling personal preferences have been well-presented in many posts on this forum and all have been duly considered (and settled for me, YMMV, no worries!).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alan E 5.0 Build Sheet.pdf (128.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #104

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
[*]Committed to no-sink in the bath, DIY shower valve and sprayer, again some custom accommodations by ETI for that.
I highly encourage you to get the bathroom sink.

It is NOT in the way at all.

You gain so little by deleting it. At least in the Escape 19 the wheel well sticks into that part of the shower under the sink, so you're not going to be able to 'use' that corner anyway.

The sink is extremely useful when showering in the wet bath. It makes taking a 'Navy Shower' so easy. Having a sink full of water to dip your washcloth in as your lathering up is perfect.

People who deleted it literally don't know what they are missing. Those of us who have one do. I truly don't understand what people who delete it think they are gaining.

edit: For the 5.0 the wheel well does stick out under the sink just like the 19. And I forgot the sink helps keep water out of the toilet paper when you shower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 UNDER SINK.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	54923
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #105

Trailer: 2019 E19
Centex,
What an interesting build sheet!
Please post pictures of the interior 'as received' and follow up with pics 'as complete'. If you felt the need for a hobby, I think that you've found one.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #106

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Slider windows leave black streaks from the window rubber degrading over time, something the frameless eliminated.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sink in the bath gives you somewhere to put shampoo and soap and is a handy handle for getting off the toilet.
I would and did go with 2-way fridge, assuming that's cheaper. Propane and AC.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I highly encourage you to get the bathroom sink ...
Thank you (and others) for the comment. That's one mod that I've got direct personal experience with, both ways, YMMV, no worries!

I pulled the sink in my virtually identical Casita bath many years ago, first as a 'trial', then making it permanent with other shampoo, TP, etc holder provisions which I now have even better ideas for accommodating. Never missed it, greatly enjoyed the mod, had no adverse impact on my 'navy showers' / water consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Slider windows leave black streaks from the window rubber degrading over time, something the frameless eliminated.
Thanks for the observation, I'm aware of the maintenance implications from my 16 years with the Casita's rubber-trimmed slider windows. I'll be happy as are the many folks who have sliders on their Escapes.

BTW, occasional easy application of a tiny amount of Honda Shin-Etsu silicon grease significantly mitigates that issue IME.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #109
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My tiny bathroom Scamp never had a sink, so I didn't miss it... you can never miss what you've never had.

BUT, my 5.0TA has a bathroom sink. I LIKE it. For many reasons Glenn mentioned, plus I like washing my face and brushing my teeth in the bathroom, not the kitchen sink.

Something to think about. If you use the shower, it's handy to place the shower head in the sink instead of hanging and banging on the wall.... just grab it and continue on...

Get what makes you happy. I did!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #110

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
That's one mod that I've got direct personal experience with, both ways, YMMV, no worries!

I pulled the sink in my virtually identical Casita bath many years ago, first as a 'trial', then making it permanent with other shampoo, TP, etc holder provisions which I now have even better ideas for accommodating. Never missed it, greatly enjoyed the mod, had no adverse impact on my 'navy showers' / water consumption.
Was this the sink you pulled out of your Casita?
edit: yes I can see how that sink would have been in the way.

Name:	Casita Bathroom Sink.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	54925

Not exactly 'identical' to the Escape sink, which is less than half that size.

Name:	5 UNDER SINK.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	54924

And since I added the 5.0 screen capture late to the other post, you can see the wheel well sticking into the shower in that corner anyway.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #111

Thanks for all the comments, certainly food for thought and appreciated.

BTW / FWIW though I didn't take a shower I have personally seen the 5.0 bath in the trailer that local owner David Murphy so generously allowed me to tour, twice.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #112

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
What a great build sheet!!

Your basic decisions mirror my own thoughts (slider windows, back split window, manual awning, no U, 3-way fridge) quite closely, although I am getting the ETI electrical and plumbing options since I’m not much of a DIY person.

I have these comments
- Are aluminum rims worth it to you? They’re not to me.
- Not sure how extensive your own electrical work will be but you might consider getting ETI to put a 12V (or 12V/USB combo) at the head of the bed and perhaps in the kitchen or dinette.
- I didn’t see any spec for pre-wiring for the a/c. I have seen others do the “hide the wires” work retroactively, but wonder if you and ETI discussed this to avoid that work.
- I watched the ETI fabric youtube and they convinced me the full-wrap wasn’t necessary for my needs. And in fact may offer some benefits (nasty dirty ch-ch-children). PS I love kids and also love Anjelica Huston in the movie The Witches.

All the best. I’ve really enjoyed your thoughts, designs and comprehensive research processes and your sharing of these. I’ll look forward to seeing it on the other side.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #113

Thanks, Steve ....

The AL wheels are just an aesthetic preference, I like the look of 'em; IME over the long run it's rust spots on steel or oxidation spots on AL, I'd rather deal with the latter.

Yeah, my electrical work will be extensive, it's a hobby I enjoy, so I'll be placing USB, 12v ports, and various task / reading lights of my choosing throughout - rather start with a 'clean a sheet' with minimal holes by ETI. Same goes for the minisplit AC wiring.

Methinks that as long as one doesn't want anything under the headliner that's visible between the OH cabinets (and I'm not going there) there's no issue finding routes to 'hide' wiring. Escape builds great trailers by all accounts but IF there's a weakness (IMO from this forum) it's in the area of the wiring in general.

I watched that upholstery video, some great points, but no young kids in my life and vinyl is a sweaty proposition in TX, so decided I'd go with the full wrap cloth just in case I want to 'flip a stain of my own making' where the cushion shapes allow that. I could easily go either way.

$ had very little to do with any of my choices, I'm going to sink much in this for mods after I pay ETI. As HABBERDABBER recently posted on this forum "coffins don't have pockets" and approaching 70 I'm in it to enjoy while I can (and for me that includes the DIY projects between travels)
Old 04-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #114

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
One idea on the rims. The white rims look pretty good when new, but not so great if they get old and a bit rusty.

So get the steel rims (cheap) and then in 5 years when your tires should be replaced, go ahead and get both new tires and rims.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #115

Thanks, but I'll take the 5 years of 'instant gratification' for my aesthetic preference
Old 04-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #116

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was hot for shiny wheels and new tires at one point, but I looked out the front window to the trailer, and realized, I really like the white wheels. Bought new tires.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:51 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I was hot for shiny wheels and new tires at one point, but I looked out the front window to the trailer, and realized, I really like the white wheels. Bought new tires.
If you've got what you like, that's all that matters!
Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 PM   #118

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
- I didn’t see any spec for pre-wiring for the a/c. I have seen others do the “hide the wires” work retroactively, but wonder if you and ETI discussed this to avoid that work.
When doing a mini-split mod the wiring is unique. You need to add a breaker and get 120V AC power out to the exterior unit. The indoor unit is then connected to the outdoor unit with a 14/4 cable for power and controls. I doubt ETI would want to get involved with any of this. The typical “A/C ready” option is valuable if adding a rooftop A/C later but worthless if doing a mini-split.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #119

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:

Here's the status of the major alternatives considered over the past months:[LIST][*]Slider windows on the sides and bath with the available flush (opening) option on the rear. Settled in balance of the many pros and cons.
We wanted to go this route as well but the quoted price for the rear awning window alone was so close to the price for the complete awning package that we went for the full awning option.
I wish we had gotten the slider on the passenger side dinette window as the awning rail restricts this window from opening very far.
We did get the slider in the bathroom and like it.

Quote:

Escape builds great trailers by all accounts but IF there's a weakness (IMO from this forum) it's in the area of the wiring in general.
Totally agree. Everything else on our 5.0ta appears to be working as it should but we have been struggling to resolve electrical gremlins since getting the trailer in January.
nepaweb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #120

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Centex

Can't help but notice your build sheet states, "Toilet Shut Off Valve (for winterization)". I've never, in many campers, used the toilet shut off valve for winterization. I have used it for when the toilet components failed, spraying water all over, so we could shut off water to the toilet and still use water in the trailer.

I'm trying to figure out how to use the that valve for winterization. I wonder if ETI knows what that valve is for.

Enjoy,

Perry