My top five options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My top five options

My family and I (4 of us) just got back home today from an awesome 22day adventure to the west coast of vancouver island in our April 2013 Escape 19. This trip brings our Escape camping days to about 30 since we picked up our trailer from the factory in April. Our 19 was ordered with quite a few of the options offered by Escape, so I thought that I would post my list of the five options that have impressed me most.

1 - by far, the number one option for me is the solar.
2 - the dual 6V batteries combined with solar allowed us to spend the past 22 days at unserviced sites with no worries about power. We were by no means rationing things and were constantly charging phones, iPads, watching DVD movies and using lights and max fan.
3 - love the space provided by the 6.2 cu-ft fridge. Worked flawlessly on propane for entire trip.
4 - the front storage box gave us lots of space and provided a great spot to store paddles and pfd's
5 - rounding out the bottom of my top five is the quick connect propane fitting. Although this is a relatively small addition, it proved its value every day when using our Dickinson Spitfire grill and our firebowl. Just to give you some idea as to how much use it got, we used 3 - 20 lb propane cylinders during our 22 day trip.

We had picked many other options in our build and I cannot say that I would have done anything differently, but the above 5 stand out as my top five. I would love to hear which options are included in your own top five and how you ranked them.

Cheers
Dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Dave, that would also be my list in the same order but I got the smaller fridge...darn it!..It would cost me $1,500 USD now and a trip to the factory to upgrade.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We have the smaller fridge and it has been more than big enough for the two of us - also gives us extra storage space above for a pantry (no microwave). We love it

Top 5:
Solar with dual 6v batteries.
Front storage box.
Extra insulation with thermal windows (but not the foam - no regrets)
Dual water heater.
We're divided on the fifth: Glenn likes the security of the extra LED brake lights, and Rosemary likes the 3 burner stove

OK a 6th: the air conditioner, when needed, has been a life saver on more than a few occasions for this used-to-the-cold-wet West Coast couple 8)
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Glad to hear you had a great trip to the west coast Dave. Did you manage to get out fishing while in the Tofino area?

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: sold it
We agree with Glennrose in putting the insulation and thermal windows in the top 5. We camp in RV campgrounds a lot and they keep the noise level down.
We had the trailer hitch reinforced, and wiring for another trailer added to our 5.0. Being able to tow a 2nd trailer has been great. I wouldn't go far that way but for local camping it's been handy being able to take a small boat, or a bunch of kayaks and canoes, or my big utility trailer with our ATV and a bunch of power tools.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice list, Dave. 22 days in a row off grid camping is great. I long for a trip of that length, but being a small business owner does not really allow for it. Oh, how I yearn for retirement someday soon.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Glad to hear you had a great trip to the west coast Dave. Did you manage to get out fishing while in the Tofino area?

Scott
We stayed at Green Point campground in Pacific Rim National Park for 7 nights. I did not get the chance to go out fishing as I put it off until the end of our stay when the temperature dropped a bit and the wind really came up, I could have gone out but was afraid of spending the whole time sea sick. Not a big deal, we had a great time anyway.

Didn't find out till we got to Green Point that they did not have showers in the campground. No problem, we had gotten the exterior shower option with our 19 and I used a small tarp I had brought with me to screen my nakedness from sight of passers by. Worked really well and all 4 of us used it at least twice each before leaving the campground. We did try to conserve water a bit but did have to dump and load up with fresh water every 3-4 days.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My votes would be
solar
front box
insulation/window package and foam spray underneath
opening windows in bath and kitchen
Atwood 8012 furnace
LED in/out
Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

Hmm...
Reading these lists brings to my awareness how many options we have already taken for granted, like the LED lights which seem like a given with the solar panel, and the opening window in the bathroom. Hard to think of living in the trailer without them.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Dave--what kind of a fire bowl do you have?
Is it the pit ones from Costco?

We have one of those and take along a small 8 lb tank (that cost more than a 20 lb) The length of the hose on it wouldn't allow us to be far from the trailer it could have a longer hose made and would be one less thing to take with us..

Love the quick connect now that we finally got a BBQ and had the regular removed...Heck, it's the best thing I am going to get to an oven!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
We stayed at Green Point campground in Pacific Rim National Park for 7 nights.

Didn't find out till we got to Green Point that they did not have showers in the campground.
A bit rustic
Glenn and I were both born on The Island. Going over to Long Beach used to mean a 6 hour drive over gravel logging roads. Very few people had trailers that they'd dare take over that road. There may have been one or two pit toilets and no running water. You could camp right on the beach then, and there was always a collection of very interesting "beach houses" made of flotsam and jetsam. (Not to mention the interesting collection of "residents")
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Didn't find out till we got to Green Point that they did not have showers in the campground. No problem, we had gotten the exterior shower option with our 19 and I used a small tarp I had brought with me to screen my nakedness from sight of passers by. Worked really well and all 4 of us used it at least twice each before leaving the campground. We did try to conserve water a bit but did have to dump and load up with fresh water every 3-4 days.
Here is a pic if you are interested ( not of me but of the shower tarp )

Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
If you have a microwave, where is it mounted with the 6.2 cu frig taking up all the space?

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
# one option........ Escape Trailer !!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
If you have a microwave, where is it mounted with the 6.2 cu frig taking up all the space?

Thanks,
Mike
We don't have a microwave. To fit one in, we would have to give up something. Wardrobe space, smaller fridge or possibly even the oven, and put the microwave in that spot. With our preference for camping at locations where services are not typically available, we don't really have a way of using a microwave without going to a generator or large inverter with upgraded batteries.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Thank you, actually think we could get by with the smaller frig anyway as there are only (2) of us.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Here is a pic if you are interested ( not of me but of the shower tarp )

We use on of these portable shelters for outside showers. It's 7' tall and 4' x 4' space inside..work's great and folds down flat. I bought a 25' hose and a few fittings and can plug right into the outside shower and then setup the enclosure in the best place for showering...and no filling up the grey tank. Most of the time we look for a spot that my 150' of hoses can reach to refill the water tank.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Dave--what kind of a fire bowl do you have?
Is it the pit ones from Costco?

We have one of those and take along a small 8 lb tank (that cost more than a 20 lb) The length of the hose on it wouldn't allow us to be far from the trailer it could have a longer hose made and would be one less thing to take with us..

Love the quick connect now that we finally got a BBQ and had the regular removed...Heck, it's the best thing I am going to get to an oven!
Yes, we have the Outland Fire Bowl as sold by Costco. We love it as it is easy to use, saves $ on campground firewood, doesn't leave that smoke smell on you and your clothes, and can be switched off when you go to bed. With the 20 ft propane hose and quick disconnect fitting I purchased, it is super easy to use with our Escape's regulated low pressure propane supply.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #19

Here are some pictures of ours. It is made by CampChef and we love it!

It's amazing how much better than a campfire it is. Instantly on, instantly off, no firewood, nice and warm...puts off a lot of heat even on low setting, very portable, no mess...great for marshmallows..etc..just plug it in!

Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Oh I love ours too for those reasons mentioned--how nice to be able to leave for a walk and just "turn off" the fire...
And yeah, campfire smoke is better than cigarette smoke for smell, but nice not to have to smell like it--or keep swearing at the fire smoke following you around the pit!!!

I just wasn't aware that the low pressure quick connect would work with it--ahh well, we did buy the 8 pounder so for now we'll go with it...