New 21' build options - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When folks get shelves in the closets, are they removable or permanent?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #42

Trailer: escape 21may 2014
escape said they could make us a mattress cover out of the same material as the cushon covers. It it zippered so you can take it off and wash it. we like to put the sleeping covers or bags away. we thought the bed area would look cleaner and everything would go together.
burrab2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #43

bob, the shelves in our trailer are not removable but you can have them made that way if you want. we thought we wound only be hanging a few things in there so we went with strengthening the wall by the bath so as to hang hooks for coats and other items.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Jim
I could not tell for sure, is the extra 12 volt outlet in the overhead shelving driver side front, I am speaking of the area over the permanent bed.
It is in the upper left hand corner, right next to the factory installed standard 120v outlet.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #45

jim, i did notice an advantage with the u shaped dinette. you can sit on the back wall with no problem. with the other setup, if you turn sideways, looking toward the front of the trailer your back hits a part of the window sticking out of the wall. i guess we will have to come up with some type of pad if we want to sit like that.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrab2002 View Post
jim, i did notice an advantage with the u shaped dinette. you can sit on the back wall with no problem. with the other setup, if you turn sideways, looking toward the front of the trailer your back hits a part of the window sticking out of the wall. i guess we will have to come up with some type of pad if we want to sit like that.
How about a pillow?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #47

Something else to consider, lights inside cabinets and under the bed. I had ETI install 2x12v lights under the bed by each hatch opening, BUT, they can not attach the lights due to some regulation. So they ran the wires, capped them and put the lights loose inside the unit. Very easy to hook up, if it ever stops snowing. Perhaps something similar could be done in the overheads with a switch? I installed battery led strip lights inside mine http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ck-3134-9.html
Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #48

thanks jim, i asked reace about your idea and like you said he wouldn't do it but he didnt offer the option of just running the wires. i'll ask him again. i guess we will have to use some type of pillow on the dinette wall to cushion the window. Over about six months i wrote down ideas from alot of different people on the blog. Some of the changes are now standard but some i was interested in he would not do again. For example, thicker cushions (would not set up flat against the walls), large outdoor matt, 30# tanks, reinforce outside walls (not needed), reinforce bath door (hinges not strong enough). Do you know if you have the sprayed on insulation or even without it, do you have to clean out weep holes every so often? It seems like they could get plugged with road dirt.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #49

Yes, I have the foam underneath, it covers almost the entire bottom front to back. There are several weepholes around the perimeter, I check them yearly and have found no clogging. I have to look at the frame, I've wondered if there should not be similar weep
holes to allow any moisture to escape.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #50

good thought jim. i guess we should ask escape about that.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have never ingested the water in my fresh water tank for personal use other than perhaps brushing my teeth and then I avoid ingesting it. It's use is for the bathroom and kitchen. I always carry water for drinking and coffee and the dogs in a potable water container. That taste you get from the water lines Donna is a combination of the plastic chemicals and the water and you will always have that, regardless of antifreeze use. I would never purposely use water that sat outside in a container for more than a couple of days to avoid stagnation and that is what happens to your fresh and hot water tanks. This has happened in every trailer I have owned (7) in the past 6 years, the taste is there with or without antifreeze.
Water piping is plastic in modern homes - that PEX stuff was not invented for RVs. I really don't think PEX piping adds any taste to the water. I believe that RV fresh water tanks are generally polyethylene (are the Escape freshwater tanks PE?); PET (like a single-use pop or water bottle) would be ideal, but I'm not convinced that polyethylene adds any taste. Everyone who carries drinking water separately puts it in some sort of plastic container, so at least some plastics can apparently be used without a taste issue.

We are currently using a motorhome (hoping to return to small trailers and thus likely an Escape in the future). We drink the water from the motorhome's system, and have no issues with taste. I have never added antifreeze to the fresh water system (only the drains), but that may have been done the winter between when it was built and when we bought it.

For drinking water in our rural home (where the well water has too much mineral and iron content to be pleasant for drinking) I use 26L Aqua-Tainers. It is made of HDPE (high-density polyethylene), and we do not notice any plastic taste - perhaps others are more sensitive. We used this in our trailer (with a 30-year-old freshwater tank filled from less-than-ideal sources). I believe that this container is a decent choice for those wanting to carry separate drinking water (or water when the trailer system is winterized) in their Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
One thing to remember is that undiluted antifreeze will freeze at a higher temperature than when it's diluted with water ...
That's true if you antifreeze is straight glycol (such as antifreeze sold for cars), but would I don't think that would apply to any plumbing antifreeze.

A line of typical RV plumbing antifreeze products is made by Recochem. Their product page for one of them includes these sections, and the pages for all four versions (or at least brandings) of their plumbing antifreeze contain similar statements:
Quote:
The plumbing antifreeze is a mixture of propylene glycol, alcohols and water.
So the glycol is already diluted; alcohol is not improved by dilution
Quote:
Care should be taken to make sure as much water as possible is drained from the plumbing system before adding Economical R.V. Plumbing Antifreeze. Dilution caused by water remaining in traps and pipes will reduce the level of burst protection.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too have no issue at all with using fresh water from the tank for consumption. As Brian stated, it is the same piping used in all homes for a bunch of years now. I bring filtered water to use for my coffee, but that is only because I am a coffee snob, and do the same at home.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have copper water pipe in my sticks 'n bricks. I think the nastiness comes about from water just sitting in the plastic pipe for days/weeks/months. Kinda like looking down inside some of the fresh water tank pictures I've seen. Gross. All manner of things growing... I'm not a germ-ophobe. I believe we need to be subjected to stuff to build immunity. But still, not only do I wash my hands and cover my mouth, I won't purposely drink fouled water. (This from someone who learned to swim in a cattle trough!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #55

Most homes in metro areas with public water have copper or galvanized, normally the plastic pipes are found in areas of wells or private water systems. Metal pipes do not do well with acidic well water.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #56

Trailer: 2012 15A
Not an expert on the subject by any means but from my observations on new home construction in this area it seems like the PEX tubing is being used more now than copper!
Quicker and easier to install and modify down the road if needed. Not only that but it is also color coded for hot and cold.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Most homes in metro areas with public water have copper or galvanized, normally the plastic pipes are found in areas of wells or private water systems. Metal pipes do not do well with acidic well water.
My rural house on well water has copper pipes, because that's what was used in the 1970's. Although a large fraction of existing homes are still plumbed in copper, and very old ones (by our standards here, where several decades is very old) have galvanized iron, that's just a matter of age. The old houses with galvanized water supply pipes might have cast iron drain pipes, and both are plastic (PEX supply and ABS drain) now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Not an expert on the subject by any means but from my observations on new home construction in this area it seems like the PEX tubing is being used more now than copper!
I agree; indeed, I think it would be very surprising to find anyone paying the premium (in both materials and labour) for copper plumbing now, at least here in Alberta.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #58

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Quicker and easier to install and modify down the road if needed. Not only that but it is also color coded for hot and cold.
It is also lest like to leak being acid resistant. My daughter had to re-plumb there entire house due to leaks springing up in the copper pipes.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Around here anyways, galvanized has not been used for waterlines since the 50's, and is by far the worst option, as it does still corrode, and water can be left quite tainted. Copper was used since then, and worked great. It is still used in some cases. About 25 years ago, when Poly B (plastic) came on the market. The Poly B had it's failings too, and was disapproved for use. Following that, and starting near 20 years ago was the introduction of PEX piping for water in homes. PEX is used in almost every home for many years now, and has proven to be a good product, and cheaper and quicker to install than copper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #60

Nice summary, Jim.

Although the earlier plastic pipe - which I believe was polybutylene (Poly B or just PB for short) - was a disappointment, it was put in a lot of houses and RVs with success. There is some in my house, operating for almost 40 years without failure. It disappeared long before Escape started production, but was popular when my Boler was built... and that grey plumbing is still there, still with no problems. The PEX stuff is much better, and so it certainly seems like the right thing to have in our trailers.

I don't think the polybutylene had a taste problem, either, although it had problems with chlorine... there's no chlorine in my well-supplied house, but our trailer has certainly seen chlorinated water.