New Inventory page and process updates - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I'm assuming that you know that make no sense at all. With the backlog that Escape currently has, there is no reason for them to build "inventory" units if they have additional build capacity.

The only way that becomes logical is if ALL the current backlog orders refused earlier delivery dates. Otherwise, the additional build capacity could be used to get trailers out the door for customers waiting on their trailers.

What does make sense is Escape is trying to move to a standardized production and move away from building custom trailers.
I agree, people don't want trailers delivered before they can use them. This time of year it is really too late for those that want to 'Escape' the cold up north, and too early for summer camping.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
At least this year there be offered to customers with deposits first. This was not the case last year.
That makes more sense. I was under the impression anyone could just jump in and snag the trailer like last year. That isn’t fair to everyone waiting for a build. At least this way it clears a later slot for someone else to fill. Still trying to wrap my head around the need for these units when they already can’t keep up with demand. I understand it when things slow down but not now.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I agree, people don't want trailers delivered before they can use them. This time of year it is really too late for those that want to 'Escape' the cold up north, and too early for summer camping.
Agreed. My buddy recently bought a small sticky and the dealer agreed to hold it until spring.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
One reason is the phone call give you 24 hours to decide if you wanted the unit. In that time Frame you could ask questions and find out what options could be added to that trailer. Also there was no rush as not everyone would be calling at a specific release time.They listed them on the website as they came available. On the internet you have to buy it. There is already threads starting with people wondering what they can add for options on the one unit is for sale. I not saying the phone was the correct way either. I think they should be offered based on your deposit date and if not sold offered to the other buyers .If i decide I want that unit I can call Monday put a deposit trailer build date Jan 2023 and then purchase this trailer jumping ahead of every other customer on the wait list. so the way I see it its not really first come first serve .
Thanks for explaining how it was in the past...I didn't utilize that system and I'm a relative new-comer to all of this so I won't pass judgment one way or the other as a whole (again, not saying FCFS is best), but I will say I see 2 big improvements being proposed now to the FCFS system, both of which are preferable to me personally.:

1) time to decide if you want to buy has been increased to 72 hours once details are released, during which time we all have an equal chance to consider, and

2) knowing the exact time of release gives me a better fighting chance to be a part of it...if it was just released at some random time when it becomes available while I'm at work, then people who happen to be online at that time and see it, would be able to beat me to the phone and put it on hold, and I would've been left out totally
Old 02-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
One reason would be for sizes that aren't as popular. It takes time for gel coat and fiberglass to cure. They have a one mold per size. So if they want to output as many shells as possible ideally they would build one 17, one 19, one 21, one 5.0, repeat. However if the sell twice as many 21's (NE and C) than they do some other length the choice is to have the gel coat and fiberglass station idle while waiting for the 21 foot shell to cure to make another 21. Or they can build a less popular size as an inventory unit. The immediate availability may outweigh the preference for a different size trailer.
Exactly, this is one of the major factors I was thinking of when I posted earlier about production line complexities for varied units on the same facilities. There's the manufacturing concept of "changeover time" to consider, not to mention good old fashioned efficiency and economies of scale that are built into the cost of each unit...which in the end have a huge impact on whether (or by how much) ETI is able to keep the price of all their trailers down.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #26

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
While it might not seem fair to some, I think that the new offer is a pretty good deal for all:

1. If you have placed a deposit and want to keep your original production date, you can do that.
2. If you want to take ETI on the "early" predicted date, you can do that.
3. If you'd like to give up your slot (and assuming that you get to the check out first) and go for one of the inventory units, you can do that. It's a fair competition for all who have already placed a deposit.

Some folks have assumed that their deposit has guaranteed them a place in line. I'd like them to show us where that is/was written. All that they were guaranteed (and probably lightly) was an initial build date.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
Some folks have assumed that their deposit has guaranteed them a place in line. I'd like them to show us where that is/was written. All that they were guaranteed (and probably lightly) was an initial build date.
Nobody is asserting some kind of contractual right. I'm just surprised that ETI doesn't seem to regard the way people queued up for deposits to mean anything. They could allocate these inventory units by that, which is what I'd do. Or they could allocate them to whoever has the best internet connection, which is what they went with.

Here in the midwest, if a busy store has only one cash register open everyone queues up for it. If eventually the store opens another cash register, it's expected that people will reassemble themselves into two lines in roughly the same order. It would be considered rude here if the last person in line walked over to the newly open register and bypassed everyone. But maybe that's how things work elsewhere? I can't say I haven't seen people do it, but you should all know that we are judging you really hard. Reflects poorly on your parents, really.

I'm a veteran of the Michigan campground reservation system. I know exactly how these trailers are going to go.
8:59:59 - System not online
9:00:01 - Article is not available
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
I know I'm prattling on here, but also I did actually get written confirmation from ETI that my deposit date WAS my place in line for move ups, which they later ignored.

When I placed my order, I selected a 3/22 delivery date even though 1/22 was available. I got a confirmation email and asked if any future move-up opportunities would be set based on deposit date or delivery date, because it if was the latter I would change my date to 1/22. I got a reply that it would be based on deposit.

The move up schedule now is based on the selected delivery date, which is not what I was told.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Here in the midwest, if a busy store has only one cash register open everyone queues up for it. If eventually the store opens another cash register, it's expected that people will reassemble themselves into two lines in roughly the same order. It would be considered rude here if the last person in line walked over to the newly open register and bypassed everyone. But maybe that's how things work elsewhere? I can't say I haven't seen people do it, but you should all know that we are judging you really hard. Reflects poorly on your parents, really.
One problem with that metaphor: these 2 "lines" are not selling the exact same product. One line sells custom units that you have designed. The other sells a Hobson's Choice (i.e. only what they are offering). If you were in line for the register at a deli with the custom sandwich you picked out, and a new line opened selling pre-made sandwiches only...would you be upset if someone else got in that line before you could, as they saw you standing there with your own sandwich?

Ok, now I'm hungry...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
One problem with that metaphor: ..
It's not a perfect analogy, for sure. The point to me now is that we are here with two move up actions (the move up, and now the inventory units) in which ETI is ignoring deposit order. And they told at least me that in the case of the move up they would respect the deposit order.

These inventory units are going to make a handful of people happy and, depending on interest level, may also make a bunch of people unhappy. I've done the 'campground reservation' sweepstakes, and nobody likes being logged in and ready at the exact moment it goes live, and seeing everything gone before you can put it in your cart.

What I just don't understand is why ETI doesn't just do all of this by deposit order. Everyone pushes it back on me....."They didn't promise you etc. etc."

But really, what is the argument for not doing it by deposit order? Is someone convinced that doing it that way would be fundamentally unfair? To me, if I placed a bid for a specific inventory trailer and one day later ETI sent me an email saying "Nope, someone who ordered a week before you last fall wanted it." I'd be fine with that. It's less aggravating than picking an trailer, clicking "Add to Cart" and watching the item list as unavailable all in the first second of the order board going live.

So what is the justification? Why is is more fair that someone placing a deposit today gets equal footing tomorrow?
Old 02-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
It's not a perfect analogy, for sure. The point to me now is that we are here with two move up actions (the move up, and now the inventory units) in which ETI is ignoring deposit order. And they told at least me that in the case of the move up they would respect the deposit order.

These inventory units are going to make a handful of people happy and, depending on interest level, may also make a bunch of people unhappy. I've done the 'campground reservation' sweepstakes, and nobody likes being logged in and ready at the exact moment it goes live, and seeing everything gone before you can put it in your cart.

What I just don't understand is why ETI doesn't just do all of this by deposit order. Everyone pushes it back on me....."They didn't promise you etc. etc."

But really, what is the argument for not doing it by deposit order? Is someone convinced that doing it that way would be fundamentally unfair? To me, if I placed a bid for a specific inventory trailer and one day later ETI sent me an email saying "Nope, someone who ordered a week before you last fall wanted it." I'd be fine with that. It's less aggravating than picking an trailer, clicking "Add to Cart" and watching the item list as unavailable all in the first second of the order board going live.

So what is the justification? Why is is more fair that someone placing a deposit today gets equal footing tomorrow?

I totally agree. a system that gives you priority on your deposit date would be fair. Better yet do not build these inventory units until you build the trailers that are already sold. last year I ordered 9 months out . I could have chose a date 4 months out. I picked the date that worked for me. Then covid hit . witch I understand no one could have for seen this coming. The results is all trailers where delayed base on delivery date instead of Deposit date. I was not happy about that. Then I found out there where several spots ahead of me reserved for inventor units of my same size. I was not happy. No one with deposits where every notified of these inventory units. They just appeared on the web site. many of these sold to new customers . If there is a need for these inventory units then they should be offered to customers first based on deposit date. This is so simple to do.You could use the same system set up. Just let everyone that is interested check out.from that list pick the person with the farthest Deposit Date. Everyone is happy trailer still sells.ETI makes the higher profit on the loaded trailer.A production slot is opened up.I cant understand why anyone would think this is unfair.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #32

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Back in the Tammy & Reace days, ETI sometimes had units for sale because the buyer backed out at the last minute. I assume the buyer forfeited their deposit and then ETI sold the new unit "as-is" with the options the original intended buyer had selected.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #33

Quote:

I agree with you as well, I can't think of any justification for it...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
This thread reminds me of the discussion some time ago about ETI going to separate pricing for US and Canada. That finally faded away and so will this one. Probably to no ones satisfaction.

I would not participate in this new process if I were in the queue. That's the only way I could object to it. Stubborn as a stump!
Old 02-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #35

This morning I got answers from ETI for my 2 questions in my original post:

"Yes, we plan on having a post production list of options available but unfortunately that won't be ready for this trailer."

"There will be no "pattern" as to what we release, as they come off the production line they'll become available."
Old 02-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
I've been following this thread on and off, but I'm really confused. Is ETI releasing inventory units for everyone, including general public and people who have not submitted an order? Why would they do that when there are already units ordered that haven't entered production yet, and are waitlisted? I would be so angry if I put an order in with a delivery date a year from now, and they put assembling my unit behind some unknown buyers. Unless I've missed or misunderstood something, this is a very bizarre way to treat customers who are waiting in a que.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #37

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I've been following this thread on and off, but I'm really confused. Is ETI releasing inventory units for everyone, including general public and people who have not submitted an order? Why would they do that when there are already units ordered that haven't entered production yet, and are waitlisted? I would be so angry if I put an order in with a delivery date a year from now, and they put assembling my unit behind some unknown buyers. Unless I've missed or misunderstood something, this is a very bizarre way to treat customers who are waiting in a que.
No, you need to have placed a deposit in order to claim one of the inventory units.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I think there is a lot of confusion to go around regarding these inventory units. I have no skin in the game but just curious about this seemingly bizarre business practice. As Steve S. just said you have to have a deposit in to try to obtain an inventory unit. That's an improvement as it wasn't the case last year.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I think there is a lot of confusion to go around regarding these inventory units. I have no skin in the game but just curious about this seemingly bizarre business practice. As Steve S. just said you have to have a deposit in to try to obtain an inventory unit. That's an improvement as it wasn't the case last year.
Right, but you can wait until you see an inventory unit that you like the looks of, then place a deposit, and you have as good a chance as anyone who placed a deposit in the last 12 months.

Also, if you are waiting on build from a deposit placed months ago, there is a good chance these inventory units won't move you up much. They may well all go to people who placed deposits long after you. Or to people just placing deposits now.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Right, but you can wait until you see an inventory unit that you like the looks of, then place a deposit, and you have as good a chance as anyone who placed a deposit in the last 12 months.

Also, if you are waiting on build from a deposit placed months ago, there is a good chance these inventory units won't move you up much. They may well all go to people who placed deposits long after you. Or to people just placing deposits now.
Good points. The further out that ETI pushes the build waitlist the higher the propensity is going to be for these buyers to try to grab an inventory unit. I can't help but feel that ETI is creating the perception of high demand by earmarking so many inventory slots which pushes the wait for a build out further than necessary. I don't believe for a second that they are almost out to 2023 with customer build dates. There is a lot of fluff in there. It's kind of like the nightclub keeping people in line outside to make it look like the place to be when there is plenty of room inside.