OK? Escape 5.0TA with Colorado/Canyon 4 door 6' box 3.6V6 gas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
OK? Escape 5.0TA with Colorado/Canyon 4 door 6' box 3.6V6 gas

Before raising this proposal with the FY2021 capital expenditure planning committee, I wanted to get a sense of the comfort you all have with this configuration.

Trailer:
Escape 5.0TA. It would be well fitted out, based on the many very helpful and constructive discussions I've seen in other threads. The GVWR is 5500 pounds. I briefly looked at "stickies" (a term I learned here) until I came across the Escape which seems to be perfect for our needs.

Tow vehicle:
2020 or 2021 GMC Canyon/Chev Colorado with the 4 door crew cab, 6 foot box, and 3.6V6 gas engine (HP 308, Torque 375). Again well fitted out. The GWVR is 6000lb, GCWR is 12000lb and the payload is about 1400lb. Once the decision has been made I would also be on the lookout for a used version as long as the towing setup and specs are good. So everything is under those towing limits.

I looked at the Ford Ranger (need 4 door, and Escape recommends min 5'5" box), and the Toyota Tacoma (only 900 payload max), and quite like the GM anyway. Honda Ridgeline is out as a fifth-wheel TV. I also looked at half-ton trucks such as the F-150, and would have trouble getting in and out, and it would not fit in the garage.

I would really rather not get the diesel engine, because this would be our single vehicle when not travelling, and I think the truck with the bigger gas engine claims to have the needed oomph.

Hitch:
Would get TradeMasters in Chilliwack to fit up an Anderson or equivalent system.

Environment:
Our target use would be mostly along scenic paved roads, campgrounds and boondocking where the roads are reasonable. I don't really want to drive up the side of Mount McKinley.

I have been driving accident-free for many decades, but have absolutely no experience driving trucks or towing anything. We did rent a Ford E-350-based Class C for a week once, and that's the biggest thing I've ever driven (and the noisiest). We loved the RV experience. I am very excited to learn, though.

Question:
So after this long introduction, my short question is whether you think I am too undersized, or if you have any other thoughts about this configuration. I know this is near the upper limit of the towing specification.

I have really enjoyed following the conversations here over the last weeks. You are a good, very helpful, bunch of people.

Thank you.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
There are several on this forum (at least) who tow a 5.0TA with a Colorado or Canyon with the Anderson hitch, but I think they all have the diesel. With the diesel, the payload is less because the engine weighs more, so you should be good there if you go with the gas V-6.

As long as the other numbers add up, I think it would work well. You’d have to get mirror extensions for the 5.0TA though. I tow my 19 with the diesel version of the Colorado and love this combination, and I would not hesitate to consider the gas version. The Canyon/Colorado trucks are really comfortable and nice to drive, as both a tow vehicle and daily driver. Mine is also my daily driver, and I really enjoy it.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Size matters!!!

Hi: camp4528... I towed with a 4 liter V6 Nissan Fronty for 2-3 years. This truck was forum rated as inadequite for the 5.0TA. Now I'm using a 3 liter V6 EcoDiesel Ram with a slightly less then 1/2 ton payload cap. and I'm still here to type about it!!! I too thought I wanted a GMC Canyon but 4cyl Diesel... but I really like the fullsize cab cause thats where I spend most of the time on a road trip!!! YMMV.
We do have a small hatchback for runs into town.
Tugging thru B-ville tomorrow. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't know about current owners, but a 5.0TA has been towed by a V6 Colorado/Canyon. In their testing climbing an extended mountain grade climb, The Fast Lane Truck found that the gas V6 performed better than the diesel... but they wanted the diesel to win so they found a way to tweak the score to achieve that:
https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/201...-review-video/
https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/03/gas...-60-mph-video/

A couple of decades ago 300 horsepower would be considered more than enough for a one-ton pickup truck or even a ten-ton medium-duty commercial truck; yes, it's enough for a midsize pickup towing a two-ton trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21C
Torque Number is Wrong

I know this thread is a few weeks old. But I just wanted to point out that your torque figure for the V6 engine is wrong. It’s not 375, but 275, with 305 hp. The diesel is 369 lb-ft of torque. I only know this because we just bought a Canyon diesel in anticipation of ordering a 19 or 21.
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
I know this thread is a few weeks old. But I just wanted to point out that your torque figure for the V6 engine is wrong. It’s not 375, but 275, with 305 hp. The diesel is 369 lb-ft of torque. I only know this because we just bought a Canyon diesel in anticipation of ordering a 19 or 21.
Thanks from me and other readers for the correction. My apologies to all.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0
I decided on a Nissan Truck because of Alfs' exprience with it towing. That was with the original 5.0. I don't think a Colorodo would work the TA.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
I decided on a Nissan Truck because of Alfs' exprience with it towing. That was with the original 5.0. I don't think a Colorodo would work the TA.
Hi: Not so Big Al... "How's that working for you"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
I can't comment on the 5.0 TA, however we tow a 2019 21' with a gasoline 2016 Colorado. We have absolutely no trouble. I also use the Colorado as a main vehicle and it fits into my garage much easier.
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Payload 1400# ia about my limit. With the pin weight of perhaps 900 plus 2 passengers and hitch you will be at the max. You wan always lighten the pin by filling the fresh tank. With proper loading and planning it should work.