Opinions on oven please - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I think I have seen discussions on combination convection,microwave oven. Any recommendations? Discussions?
Ginger, another one we'll be able to tell you more about after our trailer is finished.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I thought ovens were only all about the foods. After a hard day out there touring and scouting, hiking and biking the trails, etc., what better reward can there be in the great outdoors than the joy of cooking up a great meal? Ovens become the preferred vehicle for them who love messing in the kitchen and creative culinary variety. Must admit, when camping I do suppress that love in favor of the stove top fry pan, and sauce pans. I even had a wok. I am ashamed of that, can only justify it by conceding to being lazy and/or when I get hungry, too impatient. Just too easy to pan fry meat and boil up a bag of Bertolli. I know, I know, for most of us who recognize that eating well is the best revenge, this is wrong.

So I never got an oven for the trailer. But, my ears really perked up when it was suggested that (I assume because it has no noisy fan) a propane oven is also a great way to warm up the camper.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
... But, my ears really perked up when it was suggested that (I assume because it has no noisy fan) a propane oven is also a great way to warm up the camper.
Using an oven does have a side-effect of adding some heat to the interior of the trailer, but an oven is a terrible substitute for a furnace. The oven's exhaust is not vented to the exterior, so all of the exhaust products - water, carbon dioxide, and even some carbon monoxide - go into the trailer. This is acceptable during cooking because sufficient ventilation is used at the same time, and the time is relatively brief, and someone is continuously awake and watching over the cooking. If you use the oven as a heater, none of these factors apply; if you do run the vent hood fan, it's about as loud as the furnace.

There was a combined oven and heater intended to be used for both purposes, but it is no longer available and has never been used in an Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Don't use my oven all the time; but brownies and chocolate cookies on a rainy day with grandkids was a lot more pleasant than it might have been.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #45

Agreed. We never run the furnace through the night. And keep a vent cracked. Some very frosty mornings I have lit the stove for a quick heat fix. A good friend of mine had a good friend who ran his heater, don't know what kind, in his trailer all night one day. Never woke up next morning.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Agreed. We never run the furnace through the night. And keep a vent cracked. Some very frosty mornings I have lit the stove for a quick heat fix. A good friend of mine had a good friend who ran his heater, don't know what kind, in his trailer all night one day. Never woke up next morning.
There is no problem at all with running the furnace while sleeping - that's what it's for, just like the furnace in a house. The risk is with an unvented heater, or any cooking appliance.

I can't imagine wanting to run an exposed and unvented stove burner for heat, instead of just flicking the switch on the much safer and more effective furnace.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We found we had to on cold nights, where temps dropped a ways below freezing, in order to deal with the condensation that would otherwise form on the windows and frames. We usually set the thermostat for 8-9°C, and there would be minimal condensation.

Even when shut off and cold, I find the furnace when turned on will heat up the 19 in no time. Whenever we have the stove on, we almost always have a fan exhausting the moisture created from the burning gas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
Don't use my oven all the time; but brownies and chocolate cookies on a rainy day with grandkids was a lot more pleasant than it might have been.
We don't much in the way of brownies and cookies, but this past year having an oven in our temp trailer, Lisa cooked lots of dishes in the oven.

In fact, with her getting used to having one this past year, my vote has been thrown out the window, and we are trading in our Dickinson 2 burner stovetop, for an oven/range combo in our 5.0. Hey, if I get fed good food, I sure as heck ain't going to argue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #49

Yes it's a great furnace. Nothing wrong with running it all night, except for the listening to the constant cycling of the fan part. This of course, is easily avoided with a snort of Glenmorangie or its equivalent.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
This of course, is easily avoided with a snort of Glenmorangie or its equivalent.
Laphroaig. But it's not an equivalent - - it's a superior....
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Yes it's a great furnace. Nothing wrong with running it all night, except for the listening to the constant cycling of the fan part.
That is very bothersome all right. One of the reasons I am adding a much quieter electric heater for times I am hooked to the grid.
Quote:
This of course, is easily avoided with a snort of Glenmorangie or its equivalent.
I have one of these.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Laphroaig. But it's not an equivalent - - it's a superior....
..... and two of these, in my whiskey cabinet. Both have their own distinct good tastes. I like to start an evening with a Highland Scotch, and finish with a good Islay Scotch. With the latter, I know I have arrived at home.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That is very bothersome all right. One of the reasons I am adding a much quieter electric heater for times I am hooked to the grid.

I have one of these.....

..... and two of these, in my whiskey cabinet. Both have their own distinct good tastes. I like to start an evening with a Highland Scotch, and finish with a good Islay Scotch. With the latter, I know I have arrived at home.
James MacBennett!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:59 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The Escape furnace is far quieter and yet has a stronger fan than the furnace we had in our Nash. When we need to keep it on through the night (rarely), we get used to it and sleep well.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The Escape furnace is far quieter and yet has a stronger fan than the furnace we had in our Nash. When we need to keep it on through the night (rarely), we get used to it and sleep well.
Bob K
I have heard others say the newer furnace Escape is using is quieter than previous ones like I had in my 2009. I find whenever I use the furnace in the trailer, it takes a couple days, but I do start sleeping better by the third night, getting more used to the noise.

My plan is to have the trailer ready for installation of the 120V heater, and then install if I feel it will serve me better at times. Most often I camp without hookups, though imagine I will have them more often into the future as we travel this great continent.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Opinions on oven please

Yes I find the new furnace is quieter then the older style we had in our 19. That said it's in a larger trailer, the 5.0TA so maybe that comes into play. Anyways I do find it quieter lighting and running.
Also we have a small ceramic heater 750/1500 watts, nice quiet, thermostatically controlled, portable and under $30.00.
We use this when we have hookups, keeps the trailer plenty warm.
Cheers
Doug
Old 11-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Can someone give me the interior dimensions of the oven? I'd like to buy a few baking dishes and a cookie sheet before we pick up in December. Thanks.
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandomary View Post
Can someone give me the interior dimensions of the oven?
See this previous discussion thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ents-7640.html
Old 11-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #58

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
To oven or not to oven? That is my question too!

I have a new one in my '87 Bigfoot, the same model as this one. It is a very nice appliance. The cook top is so much better than the original. The piezoelectric ignition is wonderful. True, the oven has a pilot that you must light each time you use it, but that's easy.

On the otherhand, having more storage space would be nice.

On the otherhand, the more storage space I have, the more stuff I'll carry that I don't need.

On the otherhand, $600 is almost enough to pay for a second slower panel.

I've considered asking if they would be willing to install just the cooktop version of the appliance.

Decisions, decisions...

At this moment, I'm leaning toward getting the oven and asking ETI to prewire and reinforce for a second panel.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I have a new one in my '87 Bigfoot, the same model as this one. It is a very nice appliance. The cook top is so much better than the original. The piezoelectric ignition is wonderful. True, the oven has a pilot that you must light each time you use it, but that's easy.
I've considered asking if they would be willing to install just the cooktop version of the appliance.
It couldn't hurt to ask, but since the Atwood cooktops slide in like the ranges - not drop-in like the standard stovetops - it could be a significant cabinet customization (although the counterop would be just like for the range).

The 17" range requires a 16" deep cutout in the cabinet; the cooktops require a 3" deep cutout. Otherwise the cutout is the same. Cutout details are in the brochure.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #60

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
If I (and DW) device to forgo the oven I will. Worst case - they say, "Sorry Charlie!"
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven