Options that are not on the list - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,689
What is the purpose of this hub odometer?
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,993
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Perhaps it is used to give an accurate measure of the distance traveled by the trailer? I just write it down in my log book and hope I don't forget.
__________________

__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #23
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is the purpose of this hub odometer?
I would assume it let's you know when its time to lube the axle as well.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is the purpose of this hub odometer?
It lets you know exactly how many miles the trailer has been towed. You can have a pretty close idea from the odometer in your tow vehicle but when you unhitch and leave your camp site to go wherever, and hope the trailer is still there when you come back, you will have more miles on the tow vehicle than the trailer. Almost all commercial trailers have them. It works by the number of revolutions on the wheel. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #25
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,498
My truck keeps track of the miles I tow my 5er. As soon as the embilical is plugged in, the trailer is recognized and a different odometer keeps track. Kinda like some of the new technology.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My truck keeps track of the miles I tow my 5er. As soon as the embilical is plugged in, the trailer is recognized and a different odometer keeps track. Kinda like some of the new technology.
Very cool! Did you know this before you bought the Ford?
__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #27
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My truck keeps track of the miles I tow my 5er. As soon as the embilical is plugged in, the trailer is recognized and a different odometer keeps track. Kinda like some of the new technology.
Did you notice you can setup different trailers too?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
Are the EZ Lube axels an option that is not on the build list?
Several people mentioned getting E-Z Lube so I assumed it was an option, but checking now it does not appear in the ETI website at all except in the owner's manual... so that's a website omission or it isn't a normal option.

I note that although the Escape manual says
Quote:
If the recreational vehicle is equipped with EZ Lube, there is no need to remove hubs to grease axle bearings.
... it fails to mention that flushing the grease this way does not replace the inspection and maintenance of the bearings and brakes called for by Dexter Axle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My truck keeps track of the miles I tow my 5er. As soon as the embilical is plugged in, the trailer is recognized and a different odometer keeps track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Did you notice you can setup different trailers too?
Excellent feature!
I've never heard of that before, but it makes a lot of sense.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Whenever possible I try to get factory installed options.
Thanks Loren. That makes sense, but in this case I would be looking for a Dexter factory-installed option (which would be a non-listed option for ETI to pass on), and unfortunately in this case I don't think Dexter Axle offers it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,498
Ford trailer odometer. No, I didn't know it before I bought it. And Yes, I know you can have (I believe) up to four different setup odometers. Kinda cool.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
It lets you know exactly how many miles the trailer has been towed. You can have a pretty close idea from the odometer in your tow vehicle but when you unhitch and leave your camp site to go wherever, and hope the trailer is still there when you come back, you will have more miles on the tow vehicle than the trailer. Almost all commercial trailers have them. It works by the number of revolutions on the wheel. Loren
That would be a great thing to have. I try to keep track of each leg we tow, at least going to the final destination if not coming back, and then double and add some if necessary. It is a real hassle to do and one can often forget. A hub odometer would be nice. We drove far more miles, TV only, than we towed last trip.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 1,125
A few that I don't think have been mentioned:
  • Stabilizer Pads. I got the ones on the 17b from Chuck, but found out you can have Escape install them on your new trailer.
  • A Max Fan upgrade. We got the 7500K with a smoke cover based on CPA Harley's recommendation
  • Rock Protection in the Wheel Wells. I think ETI uses the same stuff that is on the front of the box. It can be any color as long as it is white. The alternative is to use some spray on bed liner like Eric did, or maybe take the trailer to one of the shops that deals in such things.
  • ETI will run 12 volt drops into the cabinets. I had them put three in (one in the dinette, one in the kitchen and one by the bed). I plan to use them to put LED lights in the cabinets. ETI won't install the lights.
  • ETI is installing some Umbra hooks. We had to send them the hooks. GBaglo would say use command hooks, which are less expensive and can be easily moved. He is probably right, but I like the Umbra ones, which I supplement with command hooks.
  • I had ETI install Horst Miracle Probes in the holding tanks. Has to be done at construction time because the foam covers the tanks.
  • ETI is installing a Cell Phone antenna for us. w will bring the booster and interior antenna with us when we pick up the trailer
  • ETI installed a Jensen Stereo radio/DVD and Radio antennae.

Most of these things have an associated charge, but it is pretty reasonable. I really like that ETI is willing to customize trailers to meet the customer's needs. (desires? -- who "needs" a max fan upgrade?). But there is still some stuff left for me to tinker with when we get the trailer home.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,444
We sent ETI black hinges, drawer pulls and cubboard door handles to replace the standard ones provided by ETI. There was no extra charge from ETI for this, however, it worked out in their favor as we paid for the new hinges and handles and ETI did not have to supply their own.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #35
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
A few that I don't think have been mentioned:
  • Stabilizer Pads. I got the ones on the 17b from Chuck, but found out you can have Escape install them on your new trailer.
  • A Max Fan upgrade. We got the 7500K with a smoke cover based on CPA Harley's recommendation
  • Rock Protection in the Wheel Wells. I think ETI uses the same stuff that is on the front of the box. It can be any color as long as it is white. The alternative is to use some spray on bed liner like Eric did, or maybe take the trailer to one of the shops that deals in such things.
  • ETI will run 12 volt drops into the cabinets. I had them put three in (one in the dinette, one in the kitchen and one by the bed). I plan to use them to put LED lights in the cabinets. ETI won't install the lights.
  • ETI is installing some Umbra hooks. We had to send them the hooks. GBaglo would say use command hooks, which are less expensive and can be easily moved. He is probably right, but I like the Umbra ones, which I supplement with command hooks.
  • I had ETI install Horst Miracle Probes in the holding tanks. Has to be done at construction time because the foam covers the tanks.
  • ETI is installing a Cell Phone antenna for us. w will bring the booster and interior antenna with us when we pick up the trailer
  • ETI installed a Jensen Stereo radio/DVD and Radio antennae.

Most of these things have an associated charge, but it is pretty reasonable. I really like that ETI is willing to customize trailers to meet the customer's needs. (desires? -- who "needs" a max fan upgrade?). But there is still some stuff left for me to tinker with when we get the trailer home.
Had heard of everything you mentioned Leon except for the wheel well protection and the upgraded Maxx Fan. Thanks.

As for the cell antenna, I'm not really sure which one to get. I plan to be able to work from the trailer (I'm an IT consultant and I do alot of Webex meetings with clients), and I have a Verizon MiFi with dual antenna jacks. I recall a thread (I think it was Vermilye) where there was a cradle for the MiFi, and leads to hook it up to a power amplified antenna, but not sure of the details.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #36
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,381
The fan upgrade includes a smoke lens cover which allow more moonlight to enter as well as being able to actually see the sky outside and a neat remote control which allows control from anywhere inside the trailer. I really like it.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

As for the cell antenna, I'm not really sure which one to get. I plan to be able to work from the trailer (I'm an IT consultant and I do alot of Webex meetings with clients), and I have a Verizon MiFi with dual antenna jacks. I recall a thread (I think it was Vermilye) where there was a cradle for the MiFi, and leads to hook it up to a power amplified antenna, but not sure of the details.
I got this one. I think Charley got the same one, and I *think* Jon has a similar one. But after I got the antenna, I found out that it doesn't work for 4g, only 3g. I found that out when I sent an email to Wilson customer support asking for recommendations on what else I needed. Since the antenna is only good for 3g, I got this amplifier which should support both our phones. We use the iPhone as a hotspot when traveling.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #38
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The fan upgrade includes a smoke lens cover which allow more moonlight to enter as well as being able to actually see the sky outside and a neat remote control which allows control from anywhere inside the trailer. I really like it.
Glad to hear I guessed right about that option! We pick up 9/4........
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #39
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I got this one. I think Charley got the same one, and I *think* Jon has a similar one. But after I got the antenna, I found out that it doesn't work for 4g, only 3g. I found that out when I sent an email to Wilson customer support asking for recommendations on what else I needed. Since the antenna is only good for 3g, I got this amplifier which should support both our phones. We use the iPhone as a hotspot when traveling.
Thanks Leon. Mine would definitely have to be 4G. I've seen some omnidirectional ones on Amazon with an 8dB gain, and some aimed ones with up to an 11dB gain. Probably go with the omni since I don't like aiming the antenna for the best signal.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #40
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks Leon. Mine would definitely have to be 4G. I've seen some omnidirectional ones on Amazon with an 8dB gain, and some aimed ones with up to an 11dB gain. Probably go with the omni since I don't like aiming the antenna for the best signal.
The antenna I bought has a 3.5 db gain in the 700 band used by ATT according to my discussion with a Wilson tech support guy. My background includes military electronics countermeasures in the 50Hz-20GHz range, so I'm pretty confident that antenna will work fine for 4G. I'm going to feed it with a Slick cradle. Will let you folks know either way once I have the rig (pickup 9/4.)
__________________

__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×